Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exploration of amphipods that are eating my zoas. Yes I’m sure the pods are the problem. Will a yellow corris hunt pods and keep the population down? I know they sleep at night but if it kills the ones it find during the day it should help keep the population in check.
I have also seen that YWGs hunt at night and should destroy pods. I’m running a biocube 32 been up for years. I know the corris will get big but I can rehome it when needed to a friend.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a 6 line. They hunt pods and pests all day. Need a minimum 36 inch wide tank for a yellow.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that wrasse will, but a much better wrasse for your size tank would be a possum wrasse or a pink-streaked wrasse they will do as good of a job eating pods as a yellow coris would without the need to rehome it.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that wrasse will, but a much better wrasse for your size tank would be a possum wrasse or a pink-streaked wrasse they will do as good of a job eating pods as a yellow coris would without the need to rehome it.
Can’t really find either of those near me or that’s what I would be after. The corris I’m looking at at my LFS is small. Maybe 2”, I had a green corris for years in my biocube and he stayed small. He was maybe 3” when he jumped on me after a year and a half of ownership. I mainly need something to deal with the pods asap then I can look into getting a reputable store to order me a pink streak.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have an exploration of amphipods that are eating my zoas. Yes I’m sure the pods are the problem. Will a yellow corris hunt pods and keep the population down? I know they sleep at night but if it kills the ones it find during the day it should help keep the population in check.
I have also seen that YWGs hunt at night and should destroy pods. I’m running a biocube 32 been up for years. I know the corris will get big but I can rehome it when needed to a friend.
Theyre good with flatworms and worms such as detritus

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any other fish you’d recommend over a wrasse for pod annihilation?
If youre talking of getting rid of pods, those wrasses will as will sringieri damsels, mandarin goby, scooter blenny, firefish and midas blenny

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really find either of those near me or that’s what I would be after. The corris I’m looking at at my LFS is small. Maybe 2”, I had a green corris for years in my biocube and he stayed small. He was maybe 3” when he jumped on me after a year and a half of ownership. I mainly need something to deal with the pods asap then I can look into getting a reputable store to order me a pink streak.
Definitely try get your hands on a pink streak or wetmorella species. Pink streams will do excellent at eating small worms that aren’t useful as well as pods.

I’m planning on taking the other pink streak my LFS has just for this reason.
I’ve got a mandarin now I saved from the store but he can’t handle the huge pods yet he’s too small.
IMHO, this will only work short term unless your pods are constantly multiplying as the mandarin as it ages will it 1000s of them in a day.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up hasslets goby,I got recommended one for pest control,it mainly active at night if remember correctly and most pests/ and beneficial pods are active at night and you want your pods gone ^_^https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/opinions-on-best-wrasse-for-pest-control.871790/
Post 10 in this thread,tamberav recommends me one.
Ovbiously you will have to research what size tank recommended and compatibility with other tank mates etc etc

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back