Yellow sponge good or bad

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody recommend buying a sponge to purposely grow? I'm too afraid to order one because it can die if it gets exposed to air. I'm sure I could do it but it still makes me nervous! And it's not like they're super cheap. Also not sure if 40 gallons is really enough water for one.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most sponges are good and actually add to the biodiversity of the tank.. When I first got into the hobby the live rock came loaded with sponges.

Are their a few bad sponges yes but the majority are not. They filter water.

The real problem is most sponges disappear over time.

I seek out rocks with sponges...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anybody recommend buying a sponge to purposely grow? I'm too afraid to order one because it can die if it gets exposed to air. I'm sure I could do it but it still makes me nervous! And it's not like they're super cheap. Also not sure if 40 gallons is really enough water for one.

Certainly depends on the kind. Some sponges can be exposed to air no problem..

For those that cant if they are shipped right allot can survive.

Problem with some is they feed on stuff like bacteria and slowly starve. Some also require silicates to grow.

Seek out the photosynthetic sponges they are about the easiest to grow. They can grow fast giving the proper conditions too..

Here are some old pics of some of my sponges I am growing:

1569003050197.png

1569003103946.png

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably one of the best things you can have in your tank and it will tend to migrate under the rocks not interfering with any Coral it may be mixed in it first based on previous Rock placement but it will migrate around to the underside eventually

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly depends on the kind. Some sponges can be exposed to air no problem..

For those that cant if they are shipped right allot can survive.

Problem with some is they feed on stuff like bacteria and slowly starve. Some also require silicates to grow.

Seek out the photosynthetic sponges they are about the easiest to grow. They can grow fast giving the proper conditions too..

Here are some old pics of some of my sponges I am growing:

1569003050197.png

1569003103946.png
What would you recommend for a beginner sponge that is photosynthetic? I'm still in the process of trying different things and seeing what I like. I just put red grape macroalgae in my tank and so far it looks surprisingly good! Also trying different things that could help with my nutrients and the few fish I keep.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would you recommend for a beginner sponge that is photosynthetic? I'm still in the process of trying different things and seeing what I like. I just put red grape macroalgae in my tank and so far it looks surprisingly good! Also trying different things that could help with my nutrients and the few fish I keep.

They are all pretty much the same..
They come in basically 3 colors that I have seen and that is red, purple and blue..
Some think the blue and purple are the same.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back