yellow stringy/sticky stuff on Duncan

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this is on my Duncan? I’ve dipped in Coral Rx, but that doesn’t seem to help. When I gently wipe at it with a paintbrush it doesn’t come off, but retreats back into the coral. Also, when the current is off, the stringy stuff doesn’t move, so my guess is it’s not a worm but part of the coral maybe?

I was thinking about dipping in Bayer,
Lugol’s, Expel, Reef Primer or Dr G’s?

ABCC518B-F79D-46F9-A6CD-C0AB3A8F85E1.jpeg A1A8CF11-5AD1-4AB5-A748-9C4A40E0C096.jpeg 3A007EA7-4483-43B7-A44C-BD923EE5C212.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
May likely be sponge. I would cut it away with a razor to prevent it from annoying coral

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I’m nervous to do that. I’m new to the hobby and I don’t have very steady hands, ha! Thanks though, if I get desperate I’ll give it a shot.

emilio365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend to take it out if the tank in a small container and blow it off with Turkey baster. Then give it a dip lugol’s

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give Lugol’s a try, but I’ve tried blowing it off when I dipped in Coral Rx and it just oozed/retreated back into the coral.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I had to look those up, very interesting. It could very well be those. And yes, it could be mad at the newbie reefer who let the alkalinity fall in the QT tank below 7. :-( (I didn’t know alk could fall while calcium was steady, but I’m learning.)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh man, I’m nervous to do that. I’m new to the hobby and I don’t have very steady hands, ha! Thanks though, if I get desperate I’ll give it a shot.
Firm toothbrush will also work

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
It’s been a few months, but I am really interested in how that situation finally did end?
I think I have the same issues with my Duncan.
It’s in the quarantine tank since I bought it 2 weeks ago and it started yesterday with that yellow ish white stringy think.
Before that the Duncan was doing great, even producing new heads.

so, how is your Duncan doing today?

thanks heaps!

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it didn’t recover. I was hopeful because I started feeding it Oyster Feast, and I thought it might pull through, since there was less of the stringy stuff, but it never went away completely and eventually died. Sorry, wish I had a remedy/recovery story to tell.

chris new reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it didn’t recover. I was hopeful because I started feeding it Oyster Feast, and I thought it might pull through, since there was less of the stringy stuff, but it never went away completely and eventually died. Sorry, wish I had a remedy/recovery story to tell.
Thanks anyways for your answer!

any idea what that is? I googled hours but I think it’s not a common issue on duncans. So I can’t find anything.

its very weird, because it still produces new heads like crazy.
I bought it with 9 heads 2 weeks ago and today on every of those 9 heads are growing 2 or 3 new ones out.
they were only white dots when I bought it but now you can see tentacles and the new mouths already.

Its even eating probably.
so it behaves super healthy but it looks very sick with that yellow, stringy stuff on it.

its sharing the quarantine tank with a 4 head frogspawn and some Zoas.
the Frogspawn is aggressive every night. It has long tentacles out but I doubt that it is stinging the Duncan. I don’t think it can reach it.

sorry for my long post. I am just trying to safe this beautiful coral.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back