Yellow Tang - Black ich?

William Glazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much reading I believe black ich is what my Tang has obtained. Any agree? Only had it for 3 days. The spots showed up sometime Monday. Was none there Monday morning. Pic is attached. It is super stressed and constantly hides. Still eating seaweed and swimming when noone is in the room.

Screenshot_20171003-163721.png

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Hard to tell from the pictures. Are the little black spots "raised" and not under the skin? If "raised" probably black ich. A 5 minute Freshwater Dip to confirm the worms are present and then treatment with Prazipro is suggested by most. Watch for signs of HLLE from the stress. Feed with some vitamins like Selcon, etc.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks very unhealthy. It also looks to be a bacterial infection. The second pic in your second post is concerning.

I have never personally dealt with black ich, but from the pictures I have seen, there aren't as many spots. You have so many I couldn't count.

The pictures are blurry but if it were me, I would pull the fish and place in a qt and treat with metro, kanaplex, and furan 2.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you need to do is FW dip him for 5 mins: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

If most of the black dots are gone following the FW dip, that means they were turbellarians and you would next treat with Prazipro: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

But as mentioned above, I suspect this fish has other problems - a secondary bacterial infection seems likely. However, for now let's address one problem at a time and reassess his condition following the FW dip. I.E. Take more photos of him post FW dip.

OP
OP
William Glazer

William Glazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Hard to tell from the pictures. Are the little black spots "raised" and not under the skin? If "raised" probably black ich. A 5 minute Freshwater Dip to confirm the worms are present and then treatment with Prazipro is suggested by most. Watch for signs of HLLE from the stress. Feed with some vitamins like Selcon, etc.

They are definitely raised. Almost looks "dirty". Performed the 5 min dip last night. Will provide update pics here soon.

He looks very unhealthy. It also looks to be a bacterial infection. The second pic in your second post is concerning.

I have never personally dealt with black ich, but from the pictures I have seen, there aren't as many spots. You have so many I couldn't count.

The pictures are blurry but if it were me, I would pull the fish and place in a qt and treat with metro, kanaplex, and furan 2.

I thought the same thing about the number of spots and especially how quickly they came up. I mean within hours.

First thing you need to do is FW dip him for 5 mins: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

If most of the black dots are gone following the FW dip, that means they were turbellarians and you would next treat with Prazipro: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

But as mentioned above, I suspect this fish has other problems - a secondary bacterial infection seems likely. However, for now let's address one problem at a time and reassess his condition following the FW dip. I.E. Take more photos of him post FW dip.

I had the Prazipro and salt water ready to go yesterday but decided to do the freshwater bath last night. Will provide an update with pics here in a bit.

OP
OP
William Glazer

William Glazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have not been able to get a good picture due to the fish being stubborn and hiding. But, here is what I have observed. Right before removing the tang from the tank my coral banded shrimp was for sure picking stuff off of it. We did the dip for 5 minutes and put it back in the tank. Initially after the freshwater dip there seemed to be no progress, and there were just as many black dots on as before. I did notice before putting the fish back in the tank that with a little brushing of my finger some of it was coming off, and put it back in the tank. Today there are hardly any black dots at all. Some black still but if I could get a good view it may be possible to even count this time. But now it looks like I would suspect normal Ich to look like. I still have the mixed salt water and Prazipro so I am thinking I should go ahead and treat the tank today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back