Yellow Tang Black Patches

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang is rubbing against the sand and She also have black patches on her both side.

IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0567.jpg IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0572.jpg IMG_0573.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang is rubbing against the sand and She also have black patches on her both side.

The scratching behavior would lead me to believe that it could have flukes. If you can catch it, a fresh water dip would confirm it.
I believe the dark patches are a stress response.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had the tang? When did you add the last fish to this tank? I see a skin tag on its lower jaw that isn't normal, probably from scratching, as is the discoloration on its flanks. Asd Bru12 mentioned, it could be skin flukes.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timing is about right for a fluke infestation to develop (4 to 8 weeks). If you can catch this fish, you could try a five minute FW dip, not so much as a full treatment, but to confirm if it has flukes, and to buy you some time.
“Freshwater dips” are commonly used to dislodge parasites from the skin of marine fishes. To perform these dips, the fish is placed in a dimly lit / covered container of freshwater the same temperature as the exhibit for 5 minutes, observing it closely for overt signs of stress. The idea is to dislodge the parasites, without unduly harming the fish. Many aquarists opt to use reverse osmosis water, and adjust the pH to match the aquarium, but this is not necessary. After the dip is finished, return the fish to the tank and let the dip water settle. If you have a magnifying glass (or better yet, a cheap microscope) look at anything on the bottom of the dip container for anything that can be identified as flukes. After the fish has recovered for 24 hours, if the symptoms improve, you can pretty much conclude that it has flukes or other metazoan parasite. Then, you should consider treating with praziquantel.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal No more black patch it went away after fresh water dip, Another question i cleaned my canister filter with saltwater but now its i see white dust coming out from my canister. Any help ?

Back