Yellow Tang Breathing Heavily

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang in QT that has started breathing heavily. He has gone through 30 days of copper, doses of furan 2, metroplex and kanaplex, as well as two rounds of PraziPro. Clownfish seem to be fine as does the 1 bangaii cardinal I have.

Salinity: 34 PPT
Temp: 78 F
Ammonia: 0-0.25 according to sea chem badge

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar thing happen with a yellow tang. Can you send video? Any skin lesions? Eating? Active swimming? Mine appears to be resolving, not sure what happened

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me. Just make sure you providing him good diet and he is eating.

Yeah, I didn't notice anything. I have a yellow tang that I have had for probably 7 years. He even had bad ich in my quaratine tank and survived. They are EXTREMELY hardy imo. The only times over the years that he looked stressed was when I wasn't feeding him enough. When he was stressed he would look like a ping pong ball bouncing all over the place, breathed heavy, and randomly hid. They need to eat often, and especially plant/algae matter. My yellow and hippo eat a sheet of NORI every day, as well as whatever I feed the tank that day. They are tremendously calmer now.

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air stone was ran all of last night. Meds were done being dosed last week. I haven’t seen anyone bother him but maybe.
Only thing I can think of is flukes or something bothering him. But I’m not as open minded as most folks on here so that’s why I’m an asker in most cases

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just in case of flukes, give it a freshwater dip before placing in display tank Saturday

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're doing all you can with the above advice - upping the oxygen and some nori.
I had to put my 5+ year old yellow through QT last fall after an injury. He didn't calm down until I completely removed all the meds with massive WCs and kept him very well fed.
Then his respiration returned to normal and I returned him to the DT

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back