Yellow Tang Constipated?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in some nori today and noticed that my Yellow Tang did not pick away at it immediately like he normally does. I took a closer look and it looks skinnier than normal and I am fearful that the tang may be constipated. The pictures below show what looks like large bumps around the belly area. I tested parameters last night and ammonia was almost undetectable and nitrates were at 5. I have been feeding a combination of pellets plus nori and one feeding of frozen mysis every other day.

Is there anything I can or should be doing to help the tang? I may need to try to pick up other band of pellet food such as TDO Chroma Boost which seems highly recommended. Anything else I should consider?

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can try brine shrimp or Mysis - any. other symptoms? What else are you feeding?

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try brine shrimp or Mysis - any. other symptoms? What else are you feeding?
I will go out and get some brine shrimp. For pellets I am feeding a 50/50 mix of Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet (what my LFS carries) and NYOS True Algae Soft Pellets (small amount 4x a day via auto feeder). I also feed some dry nori to the Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface once a day. Frozen mysis shrimp every other day but I will plan to do this daily for now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will go out and get some brine shrimp. For pellets I am feeding a 50/50 mix of Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet (what my LFS carries) and NYOS True Algae Soft Pellets (small amount 4x a day via auto feeder). I also feed some dry nori to the Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface once a day. Frozen mysis shrimp every other day but I will plan to do this daily for now.
I might back off on some of the dry foods for now. PS - I would monitor - it may not be consipated - but rather something else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m away from computer and can open one of the images but seems more bloated. Is feces normal color and consistency or thick?
MnFish suggestion acts as a laxative and add to diet
LRS herbivore frenzy
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Small plankton
Hikari veggie diet

Add selcon vitamins to your foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in some nori today and noticed that my Yellow Tang did not pick away at it immediately like he normally does. I took a closer look and it looks skinnier than normal and I am fearful that the tang may be constipated. The pictures below show what looks like large bumps around the belly area. I tested parameters last night and ammonia was almost undetectable and nitrates were at 5. I have been feeding a combination of pellets plus nori and one feeding of frozen mysis every other day.

Is there anything I can or should be doing to help the tang? I may need to try to pick up other band of pellet food such as TDO Chroma Boost which seems highly recommended. Anything else I should consider?

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

It didn’t go after the nori, but did it go after other foods?

Jay

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I was busy all day at work so didn't get to check out my tank until late evening. I put in some nori at the end of the day and the Tang swam toward and around the algae clip but didn't take any bites. I tried feeding pellets for experimental purposes and again the Tang showed interest by swimming around the pellets fit didn't take a bit. Shortly later I tried frozen brine shrimp (apparently very different / much larger than the tiny brine babies I have seen hatch from eggs) and again the Tang showed interest by swimming around but no eating.

I have a new theory. While feeding pellets I realized that I forgot to open the feeding door in the Ehiem auto feeder when I refilled it 4 days ago. This means the fish have not been getting their regular auto feed for 4 days. During that time I switched from feeding frozen mysis every day to every other day. I also reduced the amount of Nori by 66% in order to encourage my Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface to eat algae on the rocks. Yesterday I decided to revert to the larger prior nori load since the Tang was looking skinny. I wonder if the Yellow Tang gorged himself and is stuffed full. I hope this fact pattern does not result in him running into issues.

I will continue to observe and hope that the Tang gets back to normal feeding behavior soon. Tomorrow I will try LRS Herbivore Frenzy in the morning and Formula 2 in afternoon.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried feeding LRS Herbivore Frenzy today. The One Spot Foxface was happy. The Yellow Tang looked interested (swam right up to the food) but he didn't take any bites. I did see the Yellow Tang pick at the rocks a few times but he's looking skinnier every day. Hopefully he starts eating soon! Will try again with frozen mysis tomorrow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back