Yellow Tang Help ASAP

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed frozen more often, pellets should be avoided (forever imo but especially if trying to get fish to eat). I soak mixed frozen foods in selcon and garlic guard after straining them.

He is quite thin, feed a couple small meals per day.
Agree with this. Even though Tangs are called "vegetarians" they still eat large amounts of protein especially when they are young.

Unfortunately, it also seems Velvet starts to show at around the 3 to 4 week mark lately. Any signs like rapid breathing or swimming into the powerhead? Rubbing against rocks or the sand?

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have noticed in my dealings with tangs through the years is internal parasites. Get you some frozen food garlic gaurd some focus and metroplex. If you have a QT set up you can dose the metro plex directly to the water.

OP
OP
arshirer

arshirer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed frozen more often, pellets should be avoided (forever imo but especially if trying to get fish to eat). I soak mixed frozen foods in selcon and garlic guard after straining them.

He is quite thin, feed a couple small meals per day.

thanks! we are new to this hobby so its great to hear others advice! maybe we will steer away from the pellets!

OP
OP
arshirer

arshirer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does have rapid breathing and he wasn't swimming into the powerhead but next to it. He never goes up there. And he seems to be rubbing his belly on the sand

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't been asked but no I haven't... what is that an indication of?

Intestinal worms or stress or both I believe. I've had great luck with Rod's Food and live blackworms. I get the black worms from here:

https://aquaticfoods.com/LiveBlackwormsM.html

Instead of Rod's food I'm going to switch to LRS Fish Frenzy. They started including California black worms in that mix. So this will save some cash. You can order it here if you don't have a LFS that will have it or get it for you:

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reef-frenzy-8oz-pack.html

But I also agree with soaking seaweed in Selcon and garlic.

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can also bind metroplex with some thawed food. Use seachem's Focus to bind the meds with the food so it doesn't leach into the water. This would get the meds into this Lil guy's gut where the problems are manifesting.

Info on Seachem's Focus:
http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's information about Seachem's Metroplex medication:
http://www.seachem.com/metroplex.php

Note: everything I've read in forums suggest that this is probably not an effective ich treatment so disregard that part.

Putting him in an isolated quarantine tank would make medicating easier.

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have noticed in my dealings with tangs through the years is internal parasites. Get you some frozen food garlic gaurd some focus and metroplex. If you have a QT set up you can dose the metro plex directly to the water.

Sorry, didn't read up the full thread completely. But yes to what @cowboy said.

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
arshirer

arshirer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch his poo and check to see if it's white and stringy. If he has internal parasites we can treat that in the display. He doesn't look too bad besides being skinny. Oh and tangs will be pale at night and when the lights first come on... that's normal.

OP
OP
arshirer

arshirer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch his poo and check to see if it's white and stringy. If he has internal parasites we can treat that in the display. He doesn't look too bad besides being skinny. Oh and tangs will be pale at night and when the lights first come on... that's normal.

Thanks! We definitely learned that! We went on vacation and came back late at night and the lights were off and we turned them on just to check on them and he came out of his tunnel where he hides and I was so scared. I thought we lost him hah! But then the next morning he was back to normal!

I'll keep an eye on his poo! He is extremely active right now. Usually when we are in the room he hides he is very timid. But he is out swimming all around. Really didn't go after any food though when we put food in

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of Rods... put a pinch in the tank, the yellow tang and every other species will be very happy. . I call it fish crack LOL.
Intestinal worms or stress or both I believe. I've had great luck with Rod's Food and live blackworms. I get the black worms from here:

https://aquaticfoods.com/LiveBlackwormsM.html

Instead of Rod's food I'm going to switch to LRS Fish Frenzy. They started including California black worms in that mix. So this will save some cash. You can order it here if you don't have a LFS that will have it or get it for you:

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reef-frenzy-8oz-pack.html

But I also agree with soaking seaweed in Selcon and garlic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back