Yellow Tang Hiding

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this in the newbie section since it's probably a stupid newbie question.

I just finished my QT period. Matched salinity and temperature of the QT to my DT, and added my yellow tang directly in. He looked a bit distressed upon entry to the DT and has no gone into hiding in the rocks.

Is this normal?
I am practically having a panic attack that he's not going to survive the transfer. I FINALLY got a tang to survive quarantine and now this.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other fish in the display. Its normal for fish to be kinda shy for the first couple of days and hide.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other fish in the display. Its normal for fish to be kinda shy for the first couple of days and hide.
Nope, he's the first inhabitant outside of a few snails. I have a lyretail anthias and lawnmower blenny who were in the same QT and I was planning on transferring today. Might hold off until tomorrow if it's going to add stress.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant say for certain, but he may just he scared, as if theres no other fish out as hes the only fish there, hes probably thinking theres danger, like in the wild, if all the fish have disappeared normally means theres a threat, so that may be why hes acting like that. He may just need some time to feel comfortable

When you say he seems distressed, what do you mean, like heavy breathing? Or just kinda spooked out

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say he seems distressed, what do you mean, like heavy breathing? Or just kinda spooked out

I dropped him in and he kind of "hopped" once or twice. He swam for a few seconds (possibly heavy breathing?), then went into the rocks. He seems to be swimming now behind the rocks but it's almost impossible to see him with my setup (guess he found a good spot). He was not happy about me taking him out of the QT so I assume some of that was nervous energy from being moved. I also realized I should've put the DT powerheads into feeding mode at the time, since there was very little water movement in the last tank and DT has a lot, which I imagine did not help the situation. There is natural light in the DT (his QT was in the basement and it was darker) but I powered off the hyras and will keep them off for the next several days.

I walked away from the tank to write this post and run some errands and the little I can see appears as though his fins are not clamped, he's not tilted or lying on his side, but he does get upset when I go near the tank so I'm backing off for a bit.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this in the newbie section since it's probably a stupid newbie question.

I just finished my QT period. Matched salinity and temperature of the QT to my DT, and added my yellow tang directly in. He looked a bit distressed upon entry to the DT and has no gone into hiding in the rocks.

Is this normal?
I am practically having a panic attack that he's not going to survive the transfer. I FINALLY got a tang to survive quarantine and now this.
It's normal for tangs to hide, they need to acclimate and get used to the tank surrounds. Give it a few days to a week it'll come around. I would be more concerned if it won't eat in the next few days. Just watch it from afar it'll come around.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a moron and shut off the power heads to help calm him. And now I am out of the house for a few hours.

Should I worry? Its a 120g tank with a 35g sump. There is an HOB overflow going into the sump that also has a reef octopus skimmer in it.

I'm just a cucumber with anxiety.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back