Yellow tang is hoovering over air stone please help!!!

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. The fish has not eaten anything. Or I haven't seen it eat anything for about a week. I dosed prazipro today and did a water change yesterday. I checked for ammonia as I write this post and it appears to be 0ppm.

Can some tell me what going on?
Should fresh water dip him?

PXL_20211011_223444545.jpg PXL_20211011_223442740.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211011_223427641.mp4
    12.1 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hang tight ,wait for experts.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. The fish has not eaten anything. Or I haven't seen it eat anything for about a week. I dosed prazipro today and did a water change yesterday. I checked for ammonia as I write this post and it appears to be 0ppm.

Can some tell me what going on?
Should fresh water dip him?

PXL_20211011_223444545.jpg PXL_20211011_223442740.MP.jpg
Hi, the fish is severely emaciated and it has some redness on its snout, could it have been damaged, and that is causing it not to eat? From the video, it seems to be breathing normally.
A FW dip won’t likely help, it doesn’t seem to have ich or velvet, and the prazi will work for flukes.
I think something in this fish’s history is the crux of the issue. Yellow tangs haven’t been collected for quite some time and this fish is too large to be one of the recent tank raised one - can you tell us it’s history to this point?
Jay

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful background.

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the fish is severely emaciated and it has some redness on its snout, could it have been damaged, and that is causing it not to eat? From the video, it seems to be breathing normally.
A FW dip won’t likely help, it doesn’t seem to have ich or velvet, and the prazi will work for flukes.
I think something in this fish’s history is the crux of the issue. Yellow tangs haven’t been collected for quite some time and this fish is too large to be one of the recent tank raised one - can you tell us it’s history to this point?
Jay
Ok I had this fish in the this 10 gal qt with a purple tang. They fought, the purple tang didn't make it. . I didn't think the yellow tang was injured at all. But that's my experience so far with this fish.
I purchased him from lfs 2 and half weeks ago. He was eating before the fight with purple tang. But now he is not eating at all.

Is there any thing I can do to help him heal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish in part can also be experiencing a vitamin deficiency and nutritional deficiency as its quite thin. Once you can get it eating, some diets recommended below . Water quality will be one to address.
What test kits are you using to monitor water?
If API, you may be getting false readings which they are notorious for.

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I had this fish in the this 10 gal qt with a purple tang. They fought, the purple tang didn't make it. . I didn't think the yellow tang was injured at all. But that's my experience so far with this fish.
I purchased him from lfs 2 and half weeks ago. He was eating before the fight with purple tang. But now he is not eating at all.

Is there any thing I can do to help him heal?
I’m not sure there is an active infection here, the physical damage may be the main issue, if so, there isn’t anything you can do for that. If there is a secondary bacterial infection, then an antibiotic might help - Neoplex, Furan-2 or Maracyn 2. Trouble is, the fish is REALLY thin, and isn’t going to be happy in a 10 gallon tank, so even that may not work. I wonder if some of the snout damage is a result of that? When a fish starves, it uses its liver for energy. At some point, even if it starts feeding again, the liver is too damaged.
Jay

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish in part can also be experiencing a vitamin deficiency and nutritional deficiency as its quite thin. Once you can get it eating, some diets recommended below . Water quality will be one to address.
What test kits are you using to monitor water?
If API, you may be getting false readings which they are notorious for.

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
Thanks for the reply.
I have been trying to feed mysis shrimp and nori soak in garlic. But he will not eat any of it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g is too small for two or a single tang even for QT.

These fish are expensive and living and containers are not so don’t skimp or results may not be in your favor.

I would try new foods. Anything reality to see if you can tempt it enough to eat.

Also wouldn’t attempt to QT in such a small tank again except for small less active fish.

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g is too small for two or a single tang even for QT.

These fish are expensive and living and containers are not so don’t skimp or results may not be in your favor.

I would try new foods. Anything reality to see if you can tempt it enough to eat.

Also wouldn’t attempt to QT in such a small tank again except for small less active fish.
I have 2 qt tanks. 1 29 gal tall and 10 gal tank. I have a 280 gal Dt.

I took all my fish out of the Dt tank because of my powder blue tang was swimming in front of the power head. So I didn't take any chances and put the in qt. The 29 gal has 1 pbt, 1 blue hippo tang, fox face, 2 small clown fish, and a salfin tang. They all seem to get along.
The yellow tang is a new addition and I put him in a 10 gal qt tank.
That the story about why I got the tanks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 qt tanks. 1 29 gal tall and 10 gal tank. I have a 280 gal Dt.

I took all my fish out of the Dt tank because of my powder blue tang was swimming in front of the power head. So I didn't take any chances and put the in qt. The 29 gal has 1 pbt, 1 blue hippo tang, fox face, 2 small clown fish, and a salfin tang. They all seem to get along.
The yellow tang is a new addition and I put him in a 10 gal qt tank.
That the story about why I got the tanks.

Petco has their sale going right now so you can get a better QT for next time.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no meds I can put in the tank to help him heal up?

You can try some antibiotics for the red snout but if he's thats skinny and not eating. Chances are slim. I would try many different foods and live foods, fresh ulva. Anything. It may be in vain though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no meds I can put in the tank to help him heal up?
As I mentioned, you could try these: Neoplex, Furan-2 or Maracyn 2. But, as we've discussed, they won't fix the physical damage, nothing will, but a good environment (larger tank) may help.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back