Yellow Tang Problems

Arthroverts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, a family member of mine purchased a captive bred yellow tang (about 1.5" long, still somewhat translucent) around two months ago. However, there have been numerous problems with it in this time, mainly it keeps getting sucked against overflow and powerhead intakes (which are not abnormally strong) or taking to swimming around the bottom of the tank and not showing itself for hours. Because of this, its fins are getting progressively more torn, and despite consistent feedings of a variety of herbivorous foods necessary for the tang it doesn't seem to gain energy or grow, though granted two months is not a long time. However, every time it gets sucked into something it has to be kept in a cup or net until it regains some strength, but it's just getting worse.
Water quality is perfect, the only other fish in the tank are saltwater mollies which keep to themselves, and food consists of both herbivore and regular flakes, herbivore pellets, and dried algae sheets. We are at loss as to why the tang cannot fend for itself consistently, and we fear that soon its fins will be so mangled it will perish. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your issues. Is this a full reef or in a qt type tank? If qt, remove the powerheads and maybe use a hob. From the sounds of it, it is in a running system. If so, can you get another tank to set up for it only with some live rock to pick on? That way the flow will not be an issue?
Sounds like he is just not very stable or strong. Poor guy.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start a new post in the disease forum. Make sure to read the sticky at the top with helpful hints on getting diagnosis. Powerheads and filters are nothing to a healthy fish.

OP
OP
A

Arthroverts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your issues. Is this a full reef or in a qt type tank? If qt, remove the powerheads and maybe use a hob. From the sounds of it, it is in a running system. If so, can you get another tank to set up for it only with some live rock to pick on? That way the flow will not be an issue?
Sounds like he is just not very stable or strong. Poor guy.
It's a display reef. We will probably set up a quarantine tank for it shortly.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of experience out there yet on the captive bred YT, they are real small and pale. Good idea t move, might need to be nursed alone in a quiet QT for some time until it matures a bit.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or get an acclimation box for the main display to keep it away from the overflow and powerheads. That way it's in an established large water volume with more stable parameters, and not moving it around so much. Hope that helps, good luck!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the acclimation box. Maybe try some frozen food as well.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of experience out there yet on the captive bred YT, they are real small and pale. Good idea t move, might need to be nursed alone in a quiet QT for some time until it matures a bit.
I got a captive bred biota yt less than 2 months ago (arrived 20 Jul), and while it was super small (1.5 in sounds right) and looked pale at first, now it's a more vivid yellow. So being pale is not normal, at least ime.

He/she's still very small. I put him in my frag tank which has strong varied flow but this hasn't been an issue.

I think an isolation tank is a good idea, and if it's not eating try some live food, or at least frozen food. Mine loves artemia nauplii. I feed mainly ocean's nutrition formula 2 and reef nutrition tdo chroma boost pellets.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back