Yellow tang scared or what?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have had this yellow tang in QT for about 3 weeks now. Eating very well but seems very skittish and nervous. That didn’t bother me much but what does is that his head region is white or pale. I am not sure if because stressed. Now I see this scare /injury on him is is a long squiggly line on his body. Not sure if he injured himself when I needed to go into tank or could it be something else? Also could fish be stressed when all alone. I don’t see any spots or signs of parasites for 3 weeks I dosed Paraguad for 2 weeks straight Thank you

BF4D9376-151F-46F0-B9C5-EDC64BC3FC6D.jpeg

614FB050-E0AC-4815-BCE6-C4E794EC6F85.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. I understand that Paraguard is used for Ich and flukes, but it only been 2 weeks since dosing. Freshwater dip may confirm or rule out flukes.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said he has been in QT, but have you been treating him for anything other than paraguard? Copper? Metroplex? Etc. That will likely help the experts who I'm sure will jump in shortly help you out. But I had a yellow tang with HLLE last year and this was exactly how he started out. Light -- colored face, then a few brown patches. The signature white line down his side didn't start until the very end. Up until that point I was treating him for a bacterial infection -- which of course, wasn't helping. I was new to reefing so I didn't take advantage of the folks on the forum here. I have a photo where he looks just like yours, but of course I can't find it. He held on for over a month gradually getting worse and worse. This was what mine looked like before his demise.
Sick Tang 18.jpg
HLLE 18 Yellow Tang Crop.jpg

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said he has been in QT, but have you been treating him for anything other than paraguard? Copper? Metroplex? Etc. That will likely help the experts who I'm sure will jump in shortly help you out. But I had a yellow tang with HLLE last year and this was exactly how he started out. Light -- colored face, then a few brown patches. The signature white line down his side didn't start until the very end. Up until that point I was treating him for a bacterial infection -- which of course, wasn't helping. I was new to reefing so I didn't take advantage of the folks on the forum here. I have a photo where he looks just like yours, but of course I can't find it. He held on for over a month gradually getting worse and worse. This was what mine looked like before his demise.
Sick Tang 18.jpg
HLLE 18 Yellow Tang Crop.jpg
I did not treat with any other meds. I will do the freshwater dip and see if anything. I do not want to put in display until I am sure but thinking may help

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a freshwater dip as in video and I see no flint fluke no sesame seeds as noted. The water is crystal clear. Fish did fine. I am beginning to think he scraped himself off hen I stick my hands in water or HLLE. if HLLE I am thinking getting him in display since water quality is much better then QT. been doing water changes to keep stable as best as possible. What do you all think

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip to confirm or eliminate flukes is a great first step. Can you share with us what foods the tang is eating?
I have been giving him nori sheets fish frenzy and frozen mysis with spirinela

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok latest info. I noticed my ammonia was starting to go up in QT I did 50 percent water change 2 days ago. Noticed ammonia was not going down and did full test and noticed NITITE was also elevated. Could all this be related to ammonia / nitrite burn stress?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok latest info. I noticed my ammonia was starting to go up in QT I did 50 percent water change 2 days ago. Noticed ammonia was not going down and did full test and noticed NITITE was also elevated. Could all this be related to ammonia / nitrite burn stress?
Sure could. It depends on the individual fish as to how much it effects them. Consider adding some vitamins to the fish's food. Zoecon is specially formulated to help out with HLLE conditions. It contains proteins and fats from sponges, clams, etc. that really help the fish to thrive. Best of luck with your beautiful fish.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice above, I just wanted to add that using biospira is a great way to control ammonia in qt

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure, but that squiggly line you describe may simply be a result of stress, particularly if it is more apparent at night. HLLE starts at the head (thus the H in HLLE) not down towards the tail. Pale around the head is quite common with yellow tangs, and probably just a function of stress and malnutrition. Frankly, exposing it to all sorts of dips and meds may do more harm than good. I’d just feed it as much as it will eat and see if it grows bolder.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad to say he died. He never seemed right after the freshwater dip but may have been a result of whatever was impacting him originally or the combination. Then in my panic I put him in display but failed to acclimate and rapidly went south. Crushed but another valuable lesson. Taking a break now from adding fish for the summer. Thanks all for help

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad to say he died. He never seemed right after the freshwater dip but may have been a result of whatever was impacting him originally or the combination. Then in my panic I put him in display but failed to acclimate and rapidly went south. Crushed but another valuable lesson. Taking a break now from adding fish for the summer. Thanks all for help
Sorry Moz. That sucks. Every reefer understands your pain and frustration.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have been there. The tang I lost to HLLE was named "Sunny". I have a new yellow tang in qt right now. I'm just hoping it works out this time. Hang there. Sorry about your loss.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that. A fish that doesn't survive a freshwater dip most likely wouldn't have made it otherwise

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back