Yellow tang swimming sideways (not all the time)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT 75 gallon
QT 20 gallon
In QT (not because of this) and has acted normal through meds, and I used the filter things to get all the meds out. It’s been 1 month, and 1 week in QT. This is my first ? (Change) in his behavior/health. Why in QT, because I’m stupid! I got burned (badly.) I lost all of my fish (except 3: 1 clown, 1 chromis and my yellow tang.)
Here’s what happened: I had all the fish I wanted, and I went slow adding them. The last 1 I added was going to complete my tank. A powder blue tang. Disaster! I asked if my tank was large enough, I was told that it was by my LFS. Wrong! However, the 2 tangs stayed separated (1 on each end to sleep) and, during the day, the powder blue tang would swim on the backside of my live rock and yellow tang on frontside. No problems. I noticed my blue powder tang looking extremely powdered (pale) white. I started researching (after the fact!) and it died the next day. I did the dip, but it was too late. I thought it was over. I was upset my fish died, I had it 2 weeks and paid $80 for it. That was the beginning of the disaster... All the information I had received from my LFS was wrong. Then, the others started dying. My clowns, the school of chromis, blenny, basslet, and goby, even my mean damsels. Dead! It was either ich or velvet. My clown (that was left) was coated, but it has completely recovered. My yellow tang never seemed affected. But, through reading/researching I needed to go fishless to kill the parasites. And, learned about quarantine tanks... still learning...I’m planning a full 2 months. I did cupramine, waited a couple weeks and did the filter/sorb thing. And, did a round of praziquantel. Anyway, no meds for over a week. Fish seemed to be doing great. Today my yellow tang is swimming/acting weird. I have a large pvc pipe in the quarantine tank. Today, when it swims through it turns sideways before coming out the opposite side. This is a new thing. The PVC is large/with large openings... and, this just started. Also, this is going to sound crazy.... he only does this, when I’m up close, watching him. It’s like he’s trying to show me something. I know that’s nuts. I don’t see anything wrong. No marks (red or black) and has good (bright yellow) color. He’s eating. Water parameters are normal/temp normal. Anyway, what’s wrong now? Any ideas, suggestions or help. I would greatly appreciate it. I could be overly paranoid, I have really tried to save my last 3. I plan to QT all new fish for a minimum of 2 weeks, in the future. But, I’m focused on keeping these 3 alive, right now. Please help! Thanks

OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ? is about my yellow tang. Sorry, I’m new to this (1st year.) Tank up and running for 11 months, QT tank 1 month and 2 weeks

Upvote 0

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for itching, it’ll look like it turning sideways and skimming the rocks then turning the right way up right away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for itching, it’ll look like it turning sideways and skimming the rocks then turning the right way up right away.
That’s (definitely) what it looks like. Does that mean he has ich? Or, another parasite? Other than that, everything else seems normal. It’s eating, swimming around during the day, and sleeping in his corner. My daughter describes it like ... if it were a human, you would think they had hiccups. What should I do? Or, wait? I’ve done 2 different meds, but I want to know they are healthy and parasite/disease free before they go back into the DT. I check my water everyday, specific gravity/temp. during the quarantine. I did the copper and the testing, and made sure it was gone. Waited a weak/gave them a break. Then, did the Prazipro. Anyway, I’m not sure where to go from here. I know there is miraplex/formaldehyde derivative treatment. Should I do a 3rd medication? Thank you, for responding. The information online is overwhelming and can have multiple opinions/treatments. It gets confusing. What do you recommend? Or, just keep an eye on it? Wait & see? Thanks

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I just thought it was a reaction for you being close to it; tangs will turn sidewise to a threat. Then, @Bepis suggested the fish might be flashing. If that’s it, you might need to treat with prazipro for flukes. One way to determine if the fish is flashing or reacting to you is to set up your phone to video the tank, then leave the room. Watch the video, is you still see the behavior, it is probably flashing.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I just thought it was a reaction for you being close to it; tangs will turn sidewise to a threat. Then, @Bepis suggested the fish might be flashing. If that’s it, you might need to treat with prazipro for flukes. One way to determine if the fish is flashing or reacting to you is to set up your phone to video the tank, then leave the room. Watch the video, is you still see the behavior, it is probably flashing.
Jay
Omg I did not know that (about being close.) Maybe, we scared him. We were watching him... and, usually I feed them when I’m up close. This time I didn’t, it wasn’t time yet. I’ll set up my phone this afternoon, when they swim the most. Then, see what happens... This morning they all seemed fine. I turn their lights on at 8am.
I have the prazipro, on hand. And, I used it a little over a week, ago. They did fine during the last treatment. So, I’m not as scared to use it this time.
Good information and advice! Thank you, so much! This forum has been the only place that doesn’t act like you are crazy, for being concerned/worried about your fish. Thanks again ☺️

Upvote 0

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I did not know that (about being close.) Maybe, we scared him. We were watching him... and, usually I feed them when I’m up close. This time I didn’t, it wasn’t time yet. I’ll set up my phone this afternoon, when they swim the most. Then, see what happens... This morning they all seemed fine. I turn their lights on at 8am.
I have the prazipro, on hand. And, I used it a little over a week, ago. They did fine during the last treatment. So, I’m not as scared to use it this time.
Good information and advice! Thank you, so much! This forum has been the only place that doesn’t act like you are crazy, for being concerned/worried about your fish. Thanks again ☺️
We always must be careful. I should know since I had two stockings of fish taken out by ich before I new what I was doing

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back