Yellow Tang.

Nano0424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting mixed reviews and opinions about Yellow Tangs being housed in a 55g tank. I'm only going to put about 10lbs of live rock so the fish I purchase having plenty of swimming room and put a 5-6in sand base to help me with my nitrate levels. It is possible to house a Yellow Tang in a 55g and if so can I have other fish as well besides anything that has the same shape and color as the YT?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to fuel a large debate with this. When the smoke and dust clears it comes down to this...... It is not recommended, but yes you can because it is your tank.

However, it is done and there are plenty of experienced reefers with yellow tangs in smaller tanks. The main thing is that your are willing to take it to a LFS and exchange it for store credit (if they allow it) when it grows too large.

But there are more issues that just that. What it comes down to is if the fish is healthy and not stressed. You may or may not be able to tell depending on your reefing skills.

I think if you could ask reefers and promise not to tell you would find many more have yellow tangs in their tanks than will admit on a forum to avoid a debate and being lectured to by the "tang police". Many are concerned about the health of a fish that needs large amounts of room to swim and behave in a natural way, and with good reasons. For these reasons it is not recommended.

Do your research and make your own decision.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nano0424

Nano0424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! And yes I researching like crazy and I think that's the problem, I'm absorbing too much information. I would love to have a yellow tang in my tank.

Last edited:

cbb_70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be ok for a while but Yellow Tangs can be skittish and aggressive especially in a small tank. I had one in a 46 gallon bowfront but only for about 4 months before it became a real problem like constant ich outbreaks and increased aggression to other tankmates. I would suggest not to...

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you (this is a special case) that I have a yellow tang in a tank I consider too small. I treat him like a personal friend and he is hand fed daily. If at any moment in the future I feel concerned about his health he will go through the additional stress of being taken to my favorite LFS. At that time I'll then be concerned that he will end up in a worse place. Where he is he gets plenty of living plant life to eat and seems to enjoy swimming around among mangroves and other plants. He happens to be a refugee from a worse place, so in my case I consider myself his savior, and take very good & special care of him. And in some weird way I think he knows that.

So while I do not recommend a yellow tang in your tank, the reality is sometimes we just have to make allowances. He was not so healthy when I got him and now he is a picture of health. I have to wonder if it is the live pants that worked the magic. ... well that and tender loving care.

Last edited:

cbb_70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say this is a great site. Such positive comments even though this is a tough subject... (compared to a more popular forum that I switched from) especially regarding tangs!

Last edited:

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you get a sm tang, it will generally do better in the tank. If you buy small it will be used to the size of the tank when it gets larger. I've seen many people keep tangs healthy and happy in tanks that would make the tang ***** scream. It's all about doing your best to keep the tang happy and realizing a problem when it's there.

OP
OP
Nano0424

Nano0424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do get him I also want to get a marine betta/comet, can that co-exists?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back