Yellow tang

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tang yellow tang for 4 months now and all the sudden he stopped eating. All water parameters are in check and all other fish are fine. I feed LRS herbivore blend and nori and all was good until now. I also just got some Mastic to try and he didn’t even attempt to eat it. Sal = 1.025 Alk 8.8 ph 8.15 nitrate .5 Calc 480 mag 1290 everything else is zero. Oh I also tried dipping the Nori in garlic with no success. He also tend to be shy and hide a lot. He also swims nose down and kind of goofy compared to before.

98F35968-023D-41BA-9A00-AE7A7FFEB434.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,poss swim bladder prob? lets get some expert eyes on this :) #reefsquad

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tang yellow tang for 4 months now and all the sudden he stopped eating. All water parameters are in check and all other fish are fine. I feed LRS herbivore blend and nori and all was good until now. I also just got some Mastic to try and he didn’t even attempt to eat it. Sal = 1.025 Alk 8.8 ph 8.15 nitrate .5 Calc 480 mag 1290 everything else is zero. Oh I also tried dipping the Nori in garlic with no success. He also tend to be shy and hide a lot. He also swims nose down and kind of goofy compared to before.

Your tank looks fairly new. Did you added him during the cycle? you should have added him after 3 months or so after the cycle. That's just me, Tangs are very sensitive.

OP
OP
BlackGoldReefs

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks fairly new. Did you added him during the cycle? you should have added him after 3 months or so after the cycle. That's just me, Tangs are very sensitive.
Had had a previous tank for 3 years and set this up with water changes from my old tank in December 2019. It cycled for 4 weeks and then added a clown. I add the the tang at the beginning of July after a two week QT.

OP
OP
BlackGoldReefs

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have? Sounds like a bully situation
I thought the same thing. I have a smaller Hippo that just got a little more confident. He was added at the beginning of August, but the fins of the Yellow tang show no signs of nipping.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same thing. I have a smaller Hippo that just got a little more confident. He was added at the beginning of August, but the fins of the Yellow tang show no signs of nipping.
Not all bully-situations result in torn-up fins from nipping.

The Yellow might be conceding territory acting the it is.

Biggest thing to look for is when they are near one another, does the Yellow FLARE its fins trying to look bigger? That's the sign its a bully situation 100%

OP
OP
BlackGoldReefs

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all bully-situations result in torn-up fins from nipping.

The Yellow might be conceding territory acting the it is.

Biggest thing to look for is when they are near one another, does the Yellow FLARE its fins trying to look bigger? That's the sign its a bully situation 100%

He actually lowers his fins as if to show submission, so maybe time to regime the Hippo Tang.

OP
OP
BlackGoldReefs

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Hippo flaring???

And im NOT talking Ric Flaring either

giphy.gif

Yes he is just a tad. His dorsal fin goes up like a Mohawk towards all the fish. My clowns and flasher wrasse put him in his place though. I guess the YTang is all the sudden scared. Maybe he will use his razor blade near his tail and put him in check.

OP
OP
BlackGoldReefs

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well here is a little update. He ate one sliver of nori with garlic on it and one bite of LRS herbivore food. Might of been a scallop, shrimp, or mysis. It’s hard to tell since it is processed together. He then went back to acting weird while the others devoured the rest. Belly it still sunken in and swimming unlevel. He started acting funny after I fed Masstick food. I wonder if it is stuck in his gut and won’t pass. I read reviews and thought this was a good option, but maybe not.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back