Yellow watchman goes surfing

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my yellow watchman (Steve) absolutely loves to go up to the top of the tank and surf on the current from the wave maker. It’s like his personal water slide. When the flow shuts off, he looks sad and sinks back to the bottom for normal goby activity. And once it goes on he will immediate jump up to the wave maker and ride it across the tank, swim back and do it again. The banded goby has no interest in going toward the top except for the food tweezers. (Photo of Steve being normal)

anyone else have a goby who does this?

BE3F55EB-AFA2-40E8-8A87-AC469E50EC9A.jpeg

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my yellow watchman (Steve) absolutely loves to go up to the top of the tank and surf on the current from the wave maker. It’s like his personal water slide. When the flow shuts off, he looks sad and sinks back to the bottom for normal goby activity. And once it goes on he will immediate jump up to the wave maker and ride it across the tank, swim back and do it again. The banded goby has no interest in going toward the top except for the food tweezers. (Photo of Steve being normal)

Get a picture of him surfing.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang! I thought you meant he had jumped out of the tank!

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also tra
I need to go surfing with this guy!
I think the new lionfish wants to try too. He hangs out in the flow and opens his fins to zoom across backwards right at the surface too (or he wants to eat Steve... not sure yet)

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if they're all weird. Mine just likes to stay in his cave but every now and then, he goes out and swims around or surfs the water too. I've even seen mine sit on the overflow weir that I thought the fish died so I reach in to grab him and he would just swims away. He's done that several times to me... lol

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve the surfer still here?
D
Yes, he's alive and well. The lion fish (named Mefitis) might want to be Steve's friend? I watched them for several hours last night and they both just sorta hung out together. That being said, when the Lion gets bigger...... But there are plans to move the Puffer and Lion to their own tank when they're bigger.

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if they're all weird. Mine just likes to stay in his cave but every now and then, he goes out and swims around or surfs the water too. I've even seen mine sit on the overflow weir that I thought the fish died so I reach in to grab him and he would just swims away. He's done that several times to me... lol
Our puffer sits on the wave maker and pump outlets so Steve doesn't have the chance!

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The Lionfish no longer seems to care about Steve. However Picasso the trigger kept nipping at Steve’s tail. For Steve’s safety he has moved into his own biocube until we get the predator tank up for the trigger, lion and puffer. His new home is a little sparse at the moment with just a bit of rock snagged from another tank.
D8EEDCAF-4A17-4A49-8BCB-AC7FD2A314D3.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does that mean Steve has retired from surfing?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back