Yellow wrasse only comes out in the morning while lights are off.

jsrosas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya all, awesome forum, great advice on every post. I am new to this forum and decided to start posting questions myself.
I have a yellow wrasse. Bought him cause some people believe it can get rid of vermatid snails and I thought I'd give him a try.
He has been in the tank for 3 weeks. He must be feeding on pods or bristle worms. I know he is still alive, because he only comes out when the lights are off in the morning hours. Then he hides when the lights are on, or during pitch black night time. He has one pop-eye so I try to get him to feed on mysis dipped in garlic for the pop-eye. Wish he could come out more so he could be fed more times with garlic.
Any ideas as to why he hides during light hours?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^that is a good possibility. I just wanted to mention that garlic doesn't typically cure diseases, it usually helps entice fish to eat which can help them fend off infections. I wouldn't be so concerned about making sure it gets garlic......

OP
OP
J

jsrosas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya all thanks for answering. I have a dragon goby, 3 chromis, 1 lemon chromi who is the older fish in the tank and harasses my other fish sometimes. He could be the one bothering my wrasse. I also have a tomato clown and a hippo tang. I have a 75 gal tank with a 30 gal sump refugium. He had pop eye and the few times i see him he mostly swims in circles. He feeds every time i see him in the mornings and get some mysis defrosted for him. Other than that this would be the 4th week he hides, in the sand. Never seen any aggression towards him, but I know that lemon chromi likes to play rough with new tank mates. But usually goes for fish that have his same body shape. Dont think he would go for the wrasse. I observe the wrasse in the morning and I dont see him getting attacked by anyone while he is out. As soon as anyone turns on the lights in the room the tank is in he disapears.
Again thank you all for your responses.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Halichoeres wrasses take an especially long time to set their internal clock to our time. His behavior sounds as if he is still on his time. I have found that if circumstances allow try feeding him as close to the time he goes into the sand as possible. This will oftentimes get him to stay up a few minutes later. The next day feed a few minutes later, and so on.

The pop eye I wouldnt be too concerned about. Most fish that get it usually get it by darting blindly a.d scratching it and the swelling is just an infection behind the eye. It generally takes care of itself in about a week, just keep the water clean.

OP
OP
J

jsrosas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot everyone, eatbreakfast i will try your suggestion and feed him a little later every time. Pop eye I would agree with you too, I'm not too worried about, I heard garlic helps with parasites and infections, I always dip my food in a special blend my LFS sells(has worked great for me).
Again thank you all for your input. So far the little guy seems ok. Hope his shyness goes away soon. Cant wait to see him swimming around with his mates.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic won't help with parasites or infections, but will stimulate a feeding response, which can be very beneficial to a sick fish that does not want to eat.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a tip that might help. I recently purchased a green clown goby and he always stayed hidden in the live rock. I never saw him come out. I started to use a baster to target feed him. At first it was just spraying a mix of food all around the live rock when lights were dimming. After 1 week of doing this I was finally rewarded with a 1 sec glimpse of him. Now 3 weeks later he sits perched on some live rock by his hole waiting for food he even comes out and sits on the sand bed. Still shy and hides over every sudden movement but getting better every day

Back