Yellowish Scopas Tang

guppyken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this Scopas tang a week ago at a local Petco store.
Its body is golden yellow with a grey tail tinting with some blue on the edge taking a closer look.
It looks like a gem fish to me, and for a price tag of a Scopas!

Didn't think much, brought it home and went through QT and now it is in a small nurturing tank packing on some weight.

Do you think it's a hybrid Scopas? Super Xanthic Scopas? Or some crazy mixed Scopas breed?

Cannot wait to see how its color transitioning growing bigger. Reefing is so exciting!

ScopasTangPhoto.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this Scopas tang a week ago at a local Petco store.
Its body is golden yellow with a grey tail tinting with some blue on the edge taking a closer look.
It looks like a gem fish to me, and for a price tag of a Scopas!

Didn't think much, brought it home and went through QT and now it is in a small nurturing tank packing on some weight.

Do you think it's a hybrid Scopas? Super Xanthic Scopas? Or some crazy mixed Scopas breed?

Cannot wait to see how its color transitioning growing bigger. Reefing is so exciting!

ScopasTangPhoto.jpg

Honestly, it looks to me like a Tricolor or Abberant Scopas. They’re rather more common than one would think. I mean yes you can get scopas tangs that are essentially a nicer Yellow Tang (Longer fins and the beautiful eye).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow scopas tang, if you want it to look this nice, feed it live macro algae. Spirulina/brine to bring out the blue. Spirulina contains phycocyanin which some believe may enhance blue hues. Live macro vs nori is like night and day.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow scopas tang, if you want it to look this nice, feed it live macro algae. Spirulina/brine to bring out the blue. Spirulina contains phycocyanin which some believe may enhance blue hues. Live macro vs nori is like night and day.
I wouldn’t say it’s a true yellow scopas, even a dull yellow scopas doesn’t have half of its body being brown.

OP
OP
G

guppyken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it looks to me like a Tricolor or Abberant Scopas. They’re rather more common than one would think. I mean yes you can get scopas tangs that are essentially a nicer Yellow Tang (Longer fins and the beautiful eye).
It just blows my mind with its colors and appearance. Not sure if it's common in the ocean but it's definitely a rare find to me. It's for sure more vibrant than a yellow tang.

OP
OP
G

guppyken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually planning to order some more red ogo. I have pom pom, sea lettuce and red ogo but this guy so far only touches ogo like crazy. I will mix some spirulina powder to the frozen prepared food. Thank you for the info!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually planning to order some more red ogo. I have pom pom, sea lettuce and red ogo but this guy so far only touches ogo like crazy. I will mix some spirulina powder to the frozen prepared food. Thank you for the info!

You really will be amazed of the difference in a fresh diet. The glissening hues you see in person are hard to come out in photos. Yellow fish can benefit and become brighter by a carotenoid called astaxanthin, this is included in many pelleted and flaked food today; but nothing beats fresh. Fresh salmon and fresh shrimp are great sources for astaxanthin, a scopas would gladly accept some finely minced fresh seafood. I'm the nut that prefers to feed my fish human grade seafood, bought fresh and frozen in small batches.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back