Yes or no... venturi skimmer (after pump)

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Lifereef are you comsidering? For the 24” skimmer, take a look at the Sicce ADV 7.0... it pushes 1900 gph at a mere 55 watts. After the head pressure though th3 venturi, it will draw even less wattage.
I should switch my dcp is pulling 65 Watts.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH
I am really glad you took time to go over my design. Highly apprecaite your feedback. I have added my comments within your post quote below

You can do It, give in to your custom sump desires ;)
A couple things I see right off the bat are...

1 - Your lifereef skimmer really should run on its own pump. This is important for maintaining a consistent flow through the skimmer, if it's plumbed into a manifold as your reactors clog up it will change the flow rate, in this case increase, into your skimmer. I would think using one half of the turbine for the skimmer and the other outlet for the manifold might work. You would need a separate return pump which you've already considered.
Understood, but if I have a ball valve on the manifold output to skimmer and lets say its not fully open, would also clogging reactors increase the flow to the manifold output to skimmer?
I think also I will be running it from 2nd output of the turbine though Jeff said this will not be a good idea.

2 - Ideally your one flow sensor will be as close to your return inlet as possible to give you accurate flow rates.
I tried to have like 5 inches before and after the flow sensor to comply with the instruction below. This is 1 inch sensor
upload_2018-11-21_11-32-53.png

3 - your drain flow sensor should be placed above the gate valve and not on your secondary drain for accurate flow rates as this will be your main drain.
I am installing it on e. drain as an alarm to me that the main drain is clogged so I be aware. Since I am installing a flow sensor on the return line, not sure if it is necessary to measure flow from drain... what goes in, goes out, right? so measuring what goes in from return line should give idea what flow in DT is. Plus I read below in neptune forum.
upload_2018-11-21_11-29-15.png

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great difference between needle wheel and venturi after systems is that needle wheel consumes half the power or maybe less.
And if You are going to construct by yourself venturi is much easier.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Lifereef are you comsidering? For the 24” skimmer, take a look at the Sicce ADV 7.0... it pushes 1900 gph at a mere 55 watts. After the head pressure though the venturi, it will draw even less wattage.
Plan to buy svs3 24''. I have a return pump which is maxspect turbine duo 9k

Energy Consumption (w) at approx. 7000 L/h (1800 G/h) is around 45w

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great difference between needle wheel and venturi after systems is that needle wheel consumes half the power or maybe less.
And if You are going to construct by yourself venturi is much easier.
I'm planning to use my maxspect turbine duo 9k. It's dc pump and power consumption is about 45w with 7000 l/h

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my Lifereef 24" in sump for about 4 years now, reliable and is so quiet that with the cabinet door closed you can't hear it running. I would agree that you should run the skimmer on its own pump rather than thru a manifold, to minimize flow fluctuation and skimmer performance.

20151001_165849.jpg

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my Lifereef 24" in sump for about 4 years now, reliable and is so quiet that with the cabinet door closed you can't hear it running. I would agree that you should run the skimmer on its own pump rather than thru a manifold, to minimize flow fluctuation and skimmer performance.

20151001_165849.jpg
Thanks for the feedback. I'm all set now and loaded :D
Going with the Life reef skimmer.
I have disregarded the idea to run it from the manifold.
But thinking to run it from the 2nd output of maxspect turbine duo if it will not be an issue

Gregory Stephens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The venturi in the lifereef is ALMOST silent, this is because the venturi is fed with an airline connected to the collection cup. The cup itself acts like a muffler for sound, it also has all the wonderful benefits mentioned by @Bpb below. If you go lifereef you won't be disappointed. BTW when someone mentions Lifereef it's typically a bat signal for owners who like @DSC reef said, will be more than happy to share there positive views, myself included.
Yes, don't hesitate. I have a giant one on my 725 gallon system. They are "fire and forget"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back