Yes or no... venturi skimmer (after pump)

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating buying a venturi skimmer where the venturi is located after pump. Like life reef skimmer and so.
My only concern is the noise level. I saw some comments saying its loud noise and some says its not.

Whats your experiences with the noise level. This aquarium is right beside the bedroom and my wife has limits you know :D

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one years ago and although it was louder than my current needle wheel skimmer I didn’t think it was to bad.. you could probably run a silencer on the air input to help quiet it down.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with life reef but most of the reviews say their top notch. I'm sure some members with this skimmer will chime in.

Edit: @Retro Reefer beat me:D

keystoneckp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one on my last tank, years ago. never had much of a problem noise, but
air intake was ran to the outside house for fresh air.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The venturi will be noisy unless you muffle it in some way.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An open venturi will be noisy. An open volute on a needlewheel skimmer will also be noisy. Having used both, the sound is comparable. Simply putting a silencer on a venturi removes nearly 100% of the noise. Lifereef skimmers are designed to have the air recirculated through the collection cup. The humid air coming from the collection cup will actually help prevent salt creep from clogging the venturi also. But even if you run it through a CO2 scrubber that works just as well. Either of those options will completely silence the suction sound of the venturi.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The venturi in the lifereef is ALMOST silent, this is because the venturi is fed with an airline connected to the collection cup. The cup itself acts like a muffler for sound, it also has all the wonderful benefits mentioned by @Bpb below. If you go lifereef you won't be disappointed. BTW when someone mentions Lifereef it's typically a bat signal for owners who like @DSC reef said, will be more than happy to share there positive views, myself included.

An open venturi will be noisy. An open volute on a needlewheel skimmer will also be noisy. Having used both, the sound is comparable. Simply putting a silencer on a venturi removes nearly 100% of the noise. Lifereef skimmers are designed to have the air recirculated through the collection cup. The humid air coming from the collection cup will actually help prevent salt creep from clogging the venturi also. But even if you run it through a CO2 scrubber that works just as well. Either of those options will completely silence the suction sound of the venturi.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The venturi in the lifereef is ALMOST silent, this is because the venturi is fed with an airline connected to the collection cup. The cup itself acts like a muffler for sound, it also has all the wonderful benefits mentioned by @Bpb below. If you go lifereef you won't be disappointed. BTW when someone mentions Lifereef it's typically a bat signal for owners who like @DSC reef said, will be more than happy to share there positive views, myself included.

Thanks for the feedback. I have emailed life reef with some points to discuss and most importantly is will they ship to Sweden :p

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I have emailed life reef with some points to discuss and most importantly is will they ship to Sweden :p

If your willing to pay for it I don't see Jeff having an issue with shipping it. I do suggest if you get lifereef go with the Sv24 with the removable flange. Oh and a second note, Jeff is truly a one man show. If you're not getting a quick response, just try and realize it's a one man operation. He builds everything himself and deals with customer service as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your willing to pay for it I don't see Jeff having an issue with shipping it. I do suggest if you get lifereef go with the Sv24 with the removable flange. Oh and a second note, Jeff is truly a one man show. If you're not getting a quick response, just try and realize it's a one man operation. He builds everything himself and deals with customer service as well.
Well, he replied couple of hours later saying he will get back to me as soonest but he confirmed shipping to Sweden and that's good. May i ask what's with the removable flange? What's the advantage?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he replied couple of hours later saying he will get back to me as soonest but he confirmed shipping to Sweden and that's good. May i ask what's with the removable flange? What's the advantage?

So as @Bpb was saying, the advantage to the flanges top is you can purchase and add extensions to your skimmer. Instantly increasing the contact time and efficiency of the skimmer. Instead of buying a whole new skimmer you just buy an extension, screw it in, and turn it on. It's also handy for cleaning if you want to clean the inside, TBH I've never had to clean mine in the 2 years it's been running but it's still a handy feature.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bob. I didn't see your comment when I wrote mine.

Ok, make sense to consider the flange type then.

Thanks a lot Josh and Bob. Made things clear now

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... so i am sold on the skimmer. Jeff and his skimmers are great guys. I am now even debating on the sump but I am trying to say no to my inner but not working so far :p

Anyway, I am sending the " Bat signal " @JoshH

I am considering the pump required now for the skimmer. I have maxspect turbine dual output 9000 LPH. I was planning to run it on a manifold and return line but change plans now.
I am thinking to have this pump for manifold only and feed the skimmer from one of the manifold output. Plan to have two media reactor with slow flow so LR skimmer can get most of the flow from the pump. Would there be issues in this case i am not considering it?

The design below is old. Pump will be connected to manifold only and COR 20 will be for return
upload_2018-11-21_0-39-18.png

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... so i am sold on the skimmer. Jeff and his skimmers are great guys. I am now even debating on the sump but I am trying to say no to my inner but not working so far :p

Anyway, I am sending the " Bat signal " @JoshH

I am considering the pump required now for the skimmer. I have maxspect turbine dual output 9000 LPH. I was planning to run it on a manifold and return line but change plans now.
I am thinking to have this pump for manifold only and feed the skimmer from one of the manifold output. Plan to have two media reactor with slow flow so LR skimmer can get most of the flow from the pump. Would there be issues in this case i am not considering it?

The design below is old. Pump will be connected to manifold only and COR 20 will be for return
upload_2018-11-21_0-39-18.png

You can do It, give in to your custom sump desires ;)
A couple things I see right off the bat are...

1 - Your lifereef skimmer really should run on its own pump. This is important for maintaining a consistent flow through the skimmer, if it's plumbed into a manifold as your reactors clog up it will change the flow rate, in this case increase, into your skimmer. I would think using one half of the turbine for the skimmer and the other outlet for the manifold might work. You would need a separate return pump which you've already considered.

2 - Ideally your one flow sensor will be as close to your return inlet as possible to give you accurate flow rates.

3 - your drain flow sensor should be placed above the gate valve and not on your secondary drain for accurate flow rates as this will be your main drain.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a life reef 24 on my 40 breeder. It's less loud than my overflow. If you keep the venturi connected to the collection cup it's pretty quiet. If you do buy the lifereef go bigger than the mag 7(?) that is standard. I'm using a a DCP 8000 and it builds a consistent stable head of course it's not dark green but I have a lightly stock 70 total gallons and I don't dose carbon but I do feed 2 cubes of mysis each day and my phosphates are 0 and as of 2 days ago my nitrates were 7. Not as cool as meats though, you should only believe him lol. Hi meat.
cb9f1ea2d8c47b72e6a43e119e4c5a43.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Lifereef are you comsidering? For the 24” skimmer, take a look at the Sicce ADV 7.0... it pushes 1900 gph at a mere 55 watts. After the head pressure though the venturi, it will draw even less wattage.

Back