Yet another DIY sump thread - noob needs assistance

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I'm brand new to this reef world, and only in the thinking, learning and planning stage.
The sump part is starting to annoy me a bit, so hopefully some of you DIY people can explain or advice me.
I do understand how it works, but baffle height and water levels is a pain.
I'm thinking a 3 chamber sump with overflow in left, return center, and fuge right ( tee on the return to control the flow in fuge) - pretty standard.

Now, to get the most out of the fuge and make skimmer chamber water levels at a decent height (can always lift the skimmer if needed), I will need som heigh baffles. However this means water level in chamber needs a decent height also to avoid a crazy waterfall. All which will leave less room for extra water in case of pump failure.

I simple cannot figure out the math, to allow for all of it, and maybe I'm just trying to do to much with an undersized sump?
Info (forgive my metrics)

(L x W x H)
DT: 130 x 50 x 55 cm = 360 L (95 gl)
Sump: 80 x 40 x 40 cm = 128 L (34 gl)
Turnover in sump: 3-5 times per hour.

What would you say the maximun distance between water levels should be to avoid splashing?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our systems are of similar size - my fuge is a completely separate box from the sump, its an old 10gallon cube tank I had laying around - but it is much higher than the water level in my sump. To keep the splash down, I ran bulkhead fittings and PVC pipe down to the water level in the sump. Similar with my skimmer chamber - while it is a 5 gallon bucket and not a true chamber, I have a side pipe overflow (I just drilled a 1" hole and threaded some PVC fittings in, they ar eunglued so I can twist it to adjust the height) as well as allowing some to overflow the top edge - but since it is not all flowing over the edge, it runs down the side and doesn't splash.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply @slojim . I could do a pipe from the fuge. However, I feel the overflow/skimmer section on left side has the same problem.
I might be missing something or even misunderstood some part of the design. I just don't see how you can have two chambers, left and right, with heigh water levels, and a center chamber with much lower levels without splashing...;Bored;Bookworm

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump isn't pretty
on the far left is a 10gallon nanocube that is drilled on the side and serves as my refugium. It sits on a small wooden stand so it is elevated above the sump.
on the right is a white rubbermaid brute ~20gallon box in which sits my return, my heaters, my ATO probe, etc
in the rubbermaid box is a 5 gallon bucket that I cut down to be ~8" tall - my skimmer sits inside of that. That bucket has a pipe in the side to help fine tune level - but I never touch it anymore. It is currently adjusted so the skimmer bucket gently overflows.
The whole sump was intended to be temporary, and while I get why people want purpose-built sumps, I find myself under no particular motivation to replace this arrangement. It works for me.
my skimmer only runs ~half time, I also run an ATS. It has drains that extend to the water level.
the fuge used to go to the skimmer bucket, but I rerouted the drains to go right to the sump (thinking about pods)
the fuge is fed by a branch off of the return, but I am reconsidering that. It has a small powerhead that kicks on for a brief period daily to stir up any detritus. The ATS and skimmer are fed off of the drain from the display tank.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump isn't pretty
Well, what matters is effeciency ;)
I guess my inexperience is the problem. I have no idea how much water goes over the baffels with my given data. Will 1" drop by fine? What about 3" or 4"?. I really have no idea. All the sumps pictures I can find, have just a 1" drop between skimmer chamber and return. Looks like skimmer chamber will be floded in case of pump failure.
Shouldn't return chamber and fuge be able to hold the excess water from DT when return pump isn't running?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my skimmer "chamber" floods when the pump is off. No big deal - well, except for it starts skimming pretty wet, but I have it set up to overflow back to the sump if the reservoir fills. I've thought about raising the bucket, but mostly just so I can slide the heaters underneath. Actually, there is an advantage since I'm not using baffles- the bucket starts to want to float since the sump fills faster than the bucket when the pump is off. But once it floods, it stays.
My fuge is constant level - it doesn't hold any excess water.
There are some things you should plan and replan and recheck and replan. Like cutting a hole in your floor. If your waterfall is too noisy for you, there will be ways to address that after the fact.
You'll gain experience by experiencing. I may well re-plumb nad re-organize my makeshift sump arrangement based on observations I've made over the last year that there might have been no way to really model or predict - but that's why its a good hobby for people who enjoy tinkering/improving.

Back