OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is the tank I should have ordered but decided to go with 30" wide!!! Tell me you atleast got some inspiration from mine ;) :p

I could lie to you, but I wont!

Tank is actually coming from a local who already had it built. I put out feelers for a larger tank, but only 18"-20" tall. I've got enough wingspan I can keep this shallow and still be able to reach all square footage. I'm thinking I'm going to go LED/T5 combo, with the LED's doing the majority of carrying, it's that heat that kills me.

LOL, quote of the day!

I'm glad somebody noticed that. I was unpacking everything in my exhausted state, and was thinking, "wow, this is the best order I've ever gotten in!"

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its always good to hear of a successful transfer

there are a few that have gotten bleached out, or stung, but I imagine they will survive. For the most part, I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

tonight I wired up my fuge light, and I should probably do a water change. I have to change my RODI filters, and membrane, all of which I have on hand, just need to figure out what box they’re in

then I imagine I’ll have to sell a few frags to help light the new digs!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your spidey senses are tingling for a reason. I do have a tank on the way, I'm currently getting a stand made for it. It's 5'x3'x18", bringing me to roughly 170 gallons sans sump. I plan to put it in the basement, and the only reason I entertained a tank this big is because I am going to get an Imperator Angel and/or a Blueface. I guess that and I need a bit more room for coral now that things are starting to grow out. I'm not in a huge rush to get this setup, because we still need to finish the basement floors, and no good things happen fast. I have a bunch of dried rock, and a skimmer already, debating sump options, and most importantly, lighting.

Those are great dimensions.
Congrats on the move and future tank.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great dimensions.
Congrats on the move and future tank.

Thanks, Janci. The future tank feels like its years away from being ready, I'm still closing out everything on my condo.

I snapped some photos while the water was down and I was feeding tonight.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hYD9WC]

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my first large loss that I can remember on this tank. I was traveling for work, and I recently came back to a completely bleached out colony of Red Dragon. The good news is it's easily replaceable, but it makes me wonder what could have caused it's decline, as everything else is fine. I'm wondering if it's just now reacting to the move, or if it's something simpler.

My alk (which I haven't tested in ages) seems to be holding steady.

Anyways, everything else looks good, here's hoping it stays that way. Some of the corals that have not been growing or showing color, now are. Coral is confusing!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my first large loss that I can remember on this tank. I was traveling for work, and I recently came back to a completely bleached out colony of Red Dragon. The good news is it's easily replaceable, but it makes me wonder what could have caused it's decline, as everything else is fine. I'm wondering if it's just now reacting to the move, or if it's something simpler.

My alk (which I haven't tested in ages) seems to be holding steady.

Anyways, everything else looks good, here's hoping it stays that way. Some of the corals that have not been growing or showing color, now are. Coral is confusing!

Sorry for the loss, maybe a delayed reaction to the move and something it didn't like when that happened???

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss, maybe a delayed reaction to the move and something it didn't like when that happened???

I know it's a very sensitive piece. It very well could be something about the move. Funny thing is, I have a frag of it, which is still doing fine, on the other side of the tank. It's a fast grower, so I should have a colony again in no time!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a very sensitive piece. It very well could be something about the move. Funny thing is, I have a frag of it, which is still doing fine, on the other side of the tank. It's a fast grower, so I should have a colony again in no time!

Maybe something in the move it was exposed to the frag wasn't then? Atleast you have a backup which is really important and I think the true value of a frag system when/if you set one up. Keeping backups of your favourites is important :)

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed an iPhone 11 Pro Max for 2020, pretty impressed with the camera:

614F6796-A8A5-42E6-AF9B-CD95BD6D3C83.jpeg 3D82276B-8A11-4522-B38E-0C3DA84E6FF8.jpeg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this tank is now nearly 2.5 years old (next month it will be.)

I fully intend to keep this running, but have slowly begun to start the bigger tank planning, which will here by the end of this month. The tank is 5'x3'x18". The tank will be going in the basement, which is unfinished currently, but will be finished by the time I start to set it up. Here is a view from halfway in the basement.

49320022166_4aedcec5f7_k.jpg

The left hand side will be my office. the right hand side will be the laundry room. I plan on removing the banister and the shelving at the top of the stairs into the basement.

49319526218_aaf2cebf27_k.jpg

The above is a shot of the left hand side. The basement is incredibly messy right now, and a combination of my reef junk and my brewing equipment, none of which are organized. I plan on polishing the floors and framing/drywalling. Where you see the stairs coming down in the above photo, the framed out room will come out to where the laminate tiles currently are, and frame up against the finished wall with a door.

Below is a photo of the "room" from the corner of what will be the office. I plan on the tank going on the back left wall, with a 6" bar lip on the stand on the front, and maybe the right hand side of the tank. Underneath the stairs pops over to the other side right now, completely open. I'm hoping to make those areas access panels so I can keep a water mixing station underneath the stairs, and access the sump from the back of the stand as well if need be.

49320022146_9eab33bc2e_k.jpg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49337230097_a617ff7943_k.jpg

Here's a shot of a few of the changes. I don't have a lens short enough to get a photo directly in "front" of the tank.

49336545623_c78e9fddf4_k.jpg

I haven't had time to get in there and clean the glass, and I've been picking up on my feeding schedule, probably due for a water change.

I also had a chance to get my hands on a par meter again, I imagine some things have changed since the move. I'm betting I could probably turn my light up again.

49337356082_c7ebce3f50_k.jpg

Prior results

48050032728_a928f5b4da_k.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back