OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano is absolutely crack-a-lackin man!! :D I'm super jealous of that basement though!! That's going to be such a nice space once you finish it :D

Haha, thanks man. I'm a little bummed that I lost a colony sized piece, but also really glad I could finally move some stuff from the frag rack out. The CB Maleficent has room to expand now, and I put out a WWC Pink Panther, WWC Pink Tip, and a Vivid Confetti. By the time I get them moved over into the new tank, they should be decent sized and ready to take off.

I also traded some really nice frags for a Space Invader Pectinia colony. I've always loved this piece, but I know the feelers it sends out can decimate a tank, especially one my size. Originally I wanted to put an island rock at the end of the nano, and have the pectinia be the crown jewel of the tank. I had been given a small eye of a frag of the same thing that was dying about a year ago, and it has completely regrown into a big polyp, but I'm going to need something a little larger when I swap into the bigger tank. You can see it in post #479 bottom right corner. You can see both of them actually, the small piece cutting off in the corner is my little frag :)

Hairmetal89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the move. We've all been there and it is no fun even before you factor in moving a reef tank. Here's to hoping the basement build is as inspiring as the peninsula nano next to the brick wall. You set the bar high. Truly inspiring colors you are pulling from your corals. Must be something in the secret sauce of your DIY led's. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to document/post so we can learn and share in the fun.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That basement has nice bones! I especially love the brick walls. Can’t wait to see the transformation and of course your new huge tank!

Thanks! It’s going to be slow, but

Congrats on the move. We've all been there and it is no fun even before you factor in moving a reef tank. Here's to hoping the basement build is as inspiring as the peninsula nano next to the brick wall. You set the bar high. Truly inspiring colors you are pulling from your corals. Must be something in the secret sauce of your DIY led's. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to document/post so we can learn and share in the fun.

thanks for the kind words! Honestly, I don’t think it’s the special DIY LED sauce, but consistency, and not chasing numbers. I check my alk and calc, but couldn’t tell you what my phosphates or nitrates are at. Low nutrients tanks always look like they lack color, IMO. And yeah, moving sucks, now it’s home improvement time!

i had some shelving that was going to prevent me from getting the tank into the basement. Also m the 150Rubbermaid I plan to cycle the rock in. I took the shelving down tonight, now to make a ton of RO!

049F109F-B731-4B95-8675-7F4FDAAD1318.jpeg

3931EC5B-3787-4209-8EEF-A91DBFE6C963.jpeg

73B52C32-A713-496B-9A1E-22F83F33E04A.jpeg

now it’s time to get some rock going

A4AB12F8-9598-4D27-A0A1-DD58C20E42B6.jpeg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are bumping along over here. The tank is pretty much on auto pilot. I will get some pictures, and should probably test my alk, I need to get a BRS order in as there are lots of new happenings!

I finally have the tank in my possession. This past week I hired somebody to bring it out of my car and down into the basement. I'm glad I did, even with suction cups it was a very tight squeeze, and one that couldn't of happened without the removal of the shelving above. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should have used them to move my beer fridge downstairs as well.

I have filled a rubbermaid tub with RO water and have finally gotten it mixed up (probably about 75 gallons worth of water). My plan is to start getting the rock going in there while I slowly get the tank setup. I've been collecting rock locally and want to make sure I have a variety of pieces to make the scape that I really want.

The big question is HOW THE HECK AM I GOING TO LIGHT THIS THING?! I'm particular about how many cords will be coming off, and prefer the minimalist look. The dimensions are a little quirky for lights, and I've got a couple of options:

1.) DIY LED's. Similar to what's above my tank now. What I'd put together would be a lot of work, but the equivalent of 6 radions for the price of less than 2.

2.) Orphek Atlantik V4 Gen 2 (x2)
I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that these lights are great bang for the buck and would light up my sized tank like a christmas tree. Somebody was telling me they think any other Chinese black box LED would get the exact same job done for much cheaper (but then you've got a ton of cords to power a bunch of smaller lights...)

3.) 60" ATI SunPower 8x80W with x2 XHO ReefBrites

What are everybody's thoughts?!

E3AE9FFF-9DF5-4C3D-80BE-5998AD5B5A3D.jpeg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halides would be the least expensive I'd imagine. I know you like the Reefbrites so you could add a couple of those as well.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go hybrid T5/LED. I love my T5s and I started with LED. But, with SPS, nothing beats the pop you get from LED. So go the best of both worlds with option 3.

Yeah, I was running an LED T5 combo on the nano until it got way to hot in my little space. The basement now in which this new tank is going will be perfect for T5's, especially over the winter. I do worry about the summer time though. I also am a little wary of adding another maintenance task (bulb changing) with T5's.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up front they would probably be the least expensive, but long term electric wise, aren't they a massive suck?

Watts are watts; if it takes 500w (hypothetical number) to light your tank it doesn't matter what it comes from. You will replace them annually but they aren't that expensive (cheaper than an eight bulb T5 fixture).

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are bumping along over here. The tank is pretty much on auto pilot. I will get some pictures, and should probably test my alk, I need to get a BRS order in as there are lots of new happenings!

I finally have the tank in my possession. This past week I hired somebody to bring it out of my car and down into the basement. I'm glad I did, even with suction cups it was a very tight squeeze, and one that couldn't of happened without the removal of the shelving above. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should have used them to move my beer fridge downstairs as well.

I have filled a rubbermaid tub with RO water and have finally gotten it mixed up (probably about 75 gallons worth of water). My plan is to start getting the rock going in there while I slowly get the tank setup. I've been collecting rock locally and want to make sure I have a variety of pieces to make the scape that I really want.

The big question is HOW THE HECK AM I GOING TO LIGHT THIS THING?! I'm particular about how many cords will be coming off, and prefer the minimalist look. The dimensions are a little quirky for lights, and I've got a couple of options:

1.) DIY LED's. Similar to what's above my tank now. What I'd put together would be a lot of work, but the equivalent of 6 radions for the price of less than 2.

2.) Orphek Atlantik V4 Gen 2 (x2)
I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that these lights are great bang for the buck and would light up my sized tank like a christmas tree. Somebody was telling me they think any other Chinese black box LED would get the exact same job done for much cheaper (but then you've got a ton of cords to power a bunch of smaller lights...)

3.) 60" ATI SunPower 8x80W with x2 XHO ReefBrites

What are everybody's thoughts?!

E3AE9FFF-9DF5-4C3D-80BE-5998AD5B5A3D.jpeg
I love my V1 atlantik, great color and coverage. Two would be perfect over that tank. Orpheks OR bars are really nice as well if you aren’t interested in being able to dim (they said Donna Lewis versions are coming)

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do worry about the summer time though
Hopefully you'll have some fans/AC/air-movement as regardless of what light you use it'll get nice and warm and humid haha

Personally I'd opt for the DIY or the Orpheks! Easy once off setup with no maintenance, cords will be easy to manage, heat output will be a little more manageable and they're a little sleeker than T5 or MH options :)

Watts are watts; if it takes 500w (hypothetical number) to light your tank it doesn't matter what it comes from. You will replace them annually but they aren't that expensive (cheaper than an eight bulb T5 fixture).
This is true but there is a lot more inefficiencies that come with halides though and they're so dang hot haha (this is from someone who's run them for 3+ years too lol)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you'll have some fans/AC/air-movement as regardless of what light you use it'll get nice and warm and humid haha

Personally I'd opt for the DIY or the Orpheks! Easy once off setup with no maintenance, cords will be easy to manage, heat output will be a little more manageable and they're a little sleeker than T5 or MH options :)

This is true but there is a lot more inefficiencies that come with halides though and they're so dang hot haha (this is from someone who's run them for 3+ years too lol)

If his basement is anything like mine, the heat wont be an issue at all. 6 T5s and 4 Kessils under a canopy and my heaters cycle constantly (the display is in the living room with the sump in the basement). Stays cool in the summer as well.

49485239816_c7d1c99299_h.jpg

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If his basement is anything like mine, the heat wont be an issue at all. 6 T5s and 4 Kessils under a canopy and my heaters cycle constantly (the display is in the living room with the sump in the basement). Stays cool in the summer as well.

49485239816_c7d1c99299_h.jpg
Yeah nice! It's just something to be mindful of with basements though :) The trapped heat can build pretty quickly if you're not mindful of it :)

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's the way I'm leaning as well. I nearly just bought the Orpheks last night, but BRS only has 1 left. I need to call them and see if maybe they will get more in. HVAC getting installed this spring.

Yeah, I don't think we're able to handle the heat.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our basement is consistently 5° cooler than the entry level. I open the basement registers in the winter but keep them closed in the summer (it stays 66-69° year round). I think you'll be surprised how stable it is (and how much time you'll spend down there in the summer because it stays so cool LOL). Looking forward to the new build; having that much width to play with is awesome!

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orphek Atlantik over my current frag tank. It has done very well for me. When I upgrade tanks my plan is to light them with Atlantiks as well.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way I'm leaning as well. I nearly just bought the Orpheks last night, but BRS only has 1 left. I need to call them and see if maybe they will get more in. HVAC getting installed this spring.

Yeah, I don't think we're able to handle the heat.
Keep an eye out as they do go on sale occasionally if you don’t need them right away. You also get bonus pots at BRS with them since they don’t have MAP pricing

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our basement is consistently 5° cooler than the entry level. I open the basement registers in the winter but keep them closed in the summer (it stays 66-69° year round). I think you'll be surprised how stable it is (and how much time you'll spend down there in the summer because it stays so cool LOL). Looking forward to the new build; having that much width to play with is awesome!

It does stay cooler in the winter, we haven't had a summer here yet, but my experience is similar to Wrangy's, the heat builds up fast. I'm positive I'll be spending a lot of time down there once it gets hotter, we still have to get an HVAC installed. For heat, we're currently using radiators (which are awesome)! I'm also going to be moving my office down there once we get things framed out, can't have an office without a saltwater tank!

I have an orphek Atlantik over my current frag tank. It has done very well for me. When I upgrade tanks my plan is to light them with Atlantiks as well.

Thanks for chiming in, I've seen a lot of large tanks recently that are using the Atlantiks, and heard great things about their customer service. As much as I would love to crank out a custom LED build, I simply don't think I have the time right now. I'd rather spend a couple of extra hundred and be able to focus on other things!

Keep an eye out as they do go on sale occasionally if you don’t need them right away. You also get bonus pots at BRS with them since they don’t have MAP pricing

Thanks for the headsup. I don't need them right away, but will probably try and grab them in the next couple of weeks here.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back