YOU ACTUALLY TALK TO YOUR FISH??? What the real experts say!!!

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not insane?
I have to admit, the only fish who tried to communicate with me that did not include food items was a dragon wrasse I once had. She would lay on the sand, watch and stare right at me. If I diverted my eyes, she went to where I was looking. I don't understand why, even to this day.
There was a mass amount of trust. She would swim around a rock as if asking me to pick the rock up. So I did, only to see she would pick food off of the bottom of it. I would do this weekly as it was rather entertaining. Learning about dragon wrasse, they pick up rocks and throw them around while looking for food. I kept her for 4-5 years. Never had another fish like her.

Emperor angelfish. Another mass of personality. Would grunt when hungry, ignored or scared.
My son and copper banded butterfly get into poking contests. He pokes the glass, she pokes right back.

This does sound crazy.
Dragon wrasses are something else, and yours isnt an off-shoot in that sense, although THAT specific behavior Ive never seen and i find it curiously hilarious I’d love to see that. All those that i had, had different manners and curiosities, but all highly intelligent and communicative. That is also the worst part about them lol
My fuzzy lion is always by the glass when im up there. Mostly its about food, but he’s also learning my manners, and what movements or items in my hands lead to what type of situations, i.e. live feeding, krill or SS, killing aiptasia, catching a fish, etc.
My purple tilefishes come up for pets and scratches, and come into my hand when i put it inside in a scooping fashion, for me to give them a bath. They also spit at me when i have food in my hand lol a lot of fish do this demanding food.
If I yell loud from the couch or chair nearby, most of my fish get startled, in all of my tanks lol. They definitely can process sounds, at least in the form of shockwaves. The fact that some fish grunt and sing and chirp also means auditory communication is a thing.
Mantis shrimp that Ive had would do spiteful things. they can cooperate or go against you lol. Communicating with those feels a lot like communicating with stray dogs, in that it takes more of a connection and empathy, rather than words and signs.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk to them sometimes more than my family
Video Games Fish GIF by ctrl+c

Amhojjat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Good morning, So, who’s ready for a little breakfast?” Nope! The wife’s still in bed! That invitation is directed at my reef.
AND IT DOESN’T MEAN I’M CRAZY!!! :D

1. Your communication with your fish is in fact a sign of intelligence…..On your part!!!

2. From Dogs to Dolphins we’ve seen intelligent responses. But have you every witnessed any response from your Angels, Clowns or Wrasses? What say you?
DFCE3A92-488A-45C7-8B70-F4404F2BF8FB.jpeg
42F978CA-9F92-4F5A-A2E9-9FC2F50ABFD9.jpeg
A61E45FA-C2C1-4EA5-BC75-D77B6B2FFC0D.jpeg
I do. I use to have a porcupine puffer that I would talk to all the time. He was hand fed by me, liked it when I pet her and held my hand around her on the top of the tank….when she saw me she would get sooo excited and spite water at me when she wanted attention or was hungry.

she past a few years ago :(

but I still talk to all my aqua creatures! Even my corals! Lol

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hyperactive copperband butterly and I’m constantly yelling at him to calm the F down. I also have a regal angel that I yell at any time one of my corals doesn’t open all the way, accusing him of nipping at it. He hides. It’s too funny. If anybody ever saw me they’d want to institutionalize me.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hyperactive copperband butterly and I’m constantly yelling at him to calm the F down. I also have a regal angel that I yell at any time one of my corals doesn’t open all the way, accusing him of nipping at it. He hides. It’s too funny. If anybody ever saw me they’d want to institutionalize me.
Regals get a free pass far too often! Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back