What is one fish you refuse to have in your tank?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You practically have to tear an entire tank down to get them out once you put them in. And they'll be the last fish to die.
Lol, that was the only fish left alive in the system when I tore it down and gave it to a friend. It had killed every other fish I tried to introduce.

It rode to another city sloshing around in the little bit of water left in the tank when we moved it, and it was also the only fish in the tank when he tore it down a few years later.

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon dottyback - holy terror
Can you explain what was so bad with this fish? I am curious. I have one in my tank and the worst thing he has done is team up with one of my blood orange clownfish and killed my peppermint shrimp and ate it. I also have a cleaner shrimp in the tank and he does not bother him at all.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what was so bad with this fish? I am curious. I have one in my tank and the worst thing he has done is team up with one of my blood orange clownfish and killed my peppermint shrimp and ate it. I also have a cleaner shrimp in the tank and he does not bother him at all.
Their aggressiveness CAN exceed their size by several orders of magnitude.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel angel in a reef tank. I had one for over a decade in one of my tanks and he nipped so much coral! He was also a jerk to other fish. He was endearing and talked (grunted) to me when I did a water change. Very personable too. I moved him several times and could have gotten rid of him, but he was family by that point.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their aggressiveness CAN exceed their size by several orders of magnitude.
And it’s not right away. One day you may come home and its tanates are wiped out of severely beat up. Also I found that h could never add anything else after it.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the world's meanest Tomato Clown for 16 years and counting. I hate that fish. I will never buy another one (nor any of the other non Occelaris clowns) as long as I live.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish. ******!!! Was a cute little yellow fish with two black lines as a baby sent to me accidentally then turned into this thing and is the nastiest fish!! My maroon female has to keep this butthole in line all the time

IMG_2789.jpeg

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely clownfish (or any damselfish actually). I had an osceallaris that was amazingly friendly as a juvenile and as a male. When it turned female it claimed the 75 for itself, killed everything in it, and would take hunks out of my hand when I tried to clean it. Gave it to a friend and the darn thing lived 16 years. Only his niger trigger could keep it under control.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel angel in a reef tank. I had one for over a decade in one of my tanks and he nipped so much coral! He was also a jerk to other fish. He was endearing and talked (grunted) to me when I did a water change. Very personable too. I moved him several times and could have gotten rid of him, but he was family by that point.
Mine attacks trachy but does not bother anything else

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel for me. Complete butt in my tank . Return today thankfully.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottyback of any sort. Had one in my 20 and it was a dang nightmare to catch to take to the lfs. It fought the scrapers on waterchange day, and got me out of the habit of jut sticking my hand in the tank to adjust something!

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband. Can be doing good at the store, eating, then come home and starve themselves in QT. Such a picky fish with a low survival rate.

0ttr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon dottyback - holy terror
I think what causes problems with dottybacks is that they look like they don't cause much problems but they do. I had one. It took care of lots of pests, but then it munched a cleaner shrimp of all things, which everywhere I read said that was something that's not suppose to happen.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia eating filefish

Had aptasia issue. Bought this ora guy. He ate them all. Yay! Then when they were gone, he ate all my torch coral. And any type of euphyllia I attempted to keep. Then he saw my Duncan’s and was like mmmnnn giant aiptasia yum. And he ate them. Then he started eating Zoanthids. All they do is hunt all day long. I was aiptasia free for a long time but literally couldn’t keep any euphyllia or a few other choice corals for years.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splendid Dottyback. The final straw was when it started antagonizing the Mel wrasse I have presently. immediate removal. Was a PIA almost from day one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back