What is one fish you refuse to have in your tank?

cvonessn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia eating filefish

Had aptasia issue. Bought this ora guy. He ate them all. Yay! Then when they were gone, he ate all my torch coral. And any type of euphyllia I attempted to keep. Then he saw my Duncan’s and was like mmmnnn giant aiptasia yum. And he ate them. Then he started eating Zoanthids. All they do is hunt all day long. I was aiptasia free for a long time but literally couldn’t keep any euphyllia or a few other choice corals for years.
Going through that now, all aiptasia gone....but then turned his sites on my zoas...decimated them

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
True story - It’s in my tank now. And, it hitch hiked its way in. I’d it wasn’t for the fact I hired some to transport the contents of a tank break down, I am not sure I would tell this story out in the open. Some would think o have started drinking again. It’s an Undulated Trigger. Gorgeous fish. Owner said she had not seen him in over a month and wrote him off. She said it was a little guy, about 1.5 - 2 inches. Well, about 2 weeks after I set this rock up my wife saw him swim by. The rock was transported with thinking that only the bacteria was in question, that and some small corals that were attached to a few pieces. Fast forward and it’s about 1-1.25 inches THICK now, I’m now down to 2 other fish in 130G, he has 2 invert/snail grave yards, perhaps well over 100 shells of the former living. He moves coral. He randomly will chew on rock and if you come near any of his caves he lives in, he was try and bite you. I e tried everything, I mean everything. I’ll attach my last chance try… sadly, tomorrow I will bust up my scape and remove every single thing from my tank, and trap and remove him. My tank is now starting to seriously suffer from lack of clean up crew and utilitarian fish. I now worry about my bio being able to start back up without a mini cycle or something. But, this fish is really smart and really good looking. If I didn’t have a 75g planted tank, I would make it a fish only tank… He is really magestic.

IMG_2326.png

vicefire17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor blenny - at least not in a reef tank. I have never seen a fish mow through favites and leptoseris faster. Blennies are great fish, but imo some of the Escenius blennies are a risk, other than say a Midas blenny.
I agree. I had a bicolor Benny look me straight in the eye, and then proceed to eat everything in sight.

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm staying away from tangs. I've never had good long-term success with them and that is largely due in part to never having a tank longer than 4 feet. You have to have the room for them, or just don't. Maybe 1 out of every 4 was a "keeper" and the others were losses. I could keep bristle tooth types a lot easier for whatever reason, but even they will get big eventually.

I know I MIGHT regret it, but I have a Flame Hawkfish coming next week. I have never owned one in all my time doing this and I have always wanted one, so I guess I'll be back to complain about it in a little while. I'm happy to finally be doing it. :cool:
My flame hawkfish has forever been the perfect citizen, I don’t think you’ll regret getting one. They’re so cute and full of personality. Only downside is he doesn’t always understand he should stay away from the territorial clownfish pair I have and gets chased off often.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not a fish per se…

I refuse to ever put an octopus in a tank. They’re way too intelligent to be confined like that. We as hobbyists just simply cannot provide for their needs. It’s incredibly selfish and irresponsible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back