What is one fish you refuse to have in your tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have that one fish we just aren't the biggest fans of. Maybe it is past experiences with that fish, current compatibility with other inhabitants in your tank, or just a general dislike. I am wondering, what is that one fish you don't want to have in your tank? Curious to see what everyone says!

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have another triggerfish again~ terrorized all the other fish

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never add another foxface to my tank again. I tried 4, and they all went after my trachyphyllia corals.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and six line wrasse. I don’t think people know how big and active tangs are in the wild and six lines are just too aggressive and there are better alternatives.

Team foxface!

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have that one fish we just aren't the biggest fans of. Maybe it is past experiences with that fish, current compatibility with other inhabitants in your tank, or just a general dislike. I am wondering, what is that one fish you don't want to have in your tank? Curious to see what everyone says!
Great white shark way to aggressive and hard to feed.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yahoo movies jaws GIF

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor blenny - at least not in a reef tank. I have never seen a fish mow through favites and leptoseris faster. Blennies are great fish, but imo some of the Escenius blennies are a risk, other than say a Midas blenny.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sand sifters. Not only for the mess but a double no because of their uncanny ability to carpet surf when the lid is off. I'll also add an invert. Nerite snails.

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one fish I will never have in an aquarium again is a Undulate Triggerfish. The one I had I purchased for my Predator tank. I had a Lionfish and a Spotted Grouper in a tank then I added this guy to my tank and He immediately was nothing but a Hassell. Attacking the other fish. Constantly chasing them to the point the water was coming out of the tank at times. I ended up giving him to the LFS to rehome him. So never again.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than clown fish, I'll never put another damsel in my tank. They, as a class, are just devil fish. When I was young and dumb, I put a blue velvet damselfish in my tank that then proceeded to kill three other fish. Never again!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm staying away from tangs. I've never had good long-term success with them and that is largely due in part to never having a tank longer than 4 feet. You have to have the room for them, or just don't. Maybe 1 out of every 4 was a "keeper" and the others were losses. I could keep bristle tooth types a lot easier for whatever reason, but even they will get big eventually.

I know I MIGHT regret it, but I have a Flame Hawkfish coming next week. I have never owned one in all my time doing this and I have always wanted one, so I guess I'll be back to complain about it in a little while. I'm happy to finally be doing it. :cool:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too new in my reefing rebirth to have had a bad fish, but I had a yellow-tailed damsel back in the day, and won't go there again.
You practically have to tear an entire tank down to get them out once you put them in. And they'll be the last fish to die.
I've had ones that nipped at polyps seemingly just to get me mad. I think they are actually one of the most intelligent fish as well. So it may be true.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back