You know it’s gonna be a bad day when you…

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…woke up to a red haddoni wrapped around your wavemaker! He was super happy the day before. Thank heavens I got nem-guards on all MP40s so hope this poor thing will recover soon!

How do you usually start your day?

IMG_7722.jpeg IMG_7713.jpeg

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks. That is / was a beauty. I hope it recovers. Must be the moon cycle or something. My large blue haddoni has been front and center of the tank for almost a year but a couple of days ago it just up and moved to a back corner.
Thanks — he has always been mobile but moved around the rockwork. This was the first time he wandered that far out and got sucked in…yes, that sucks!

I have not changed flow or lighting at all for months. That previous picture was taken 2 days prior. Ooh well — I sprayed Cipro around him and turned back the flow. Hoping for the best here. He’s very special to me — wife got that as a BD present!

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks. That is / was a beauty. I hope it recovers. Must be the moon cycle or something. My large blue haddoni has been front and center of the tank for almost a year but a couple of days ago it just up and moved to a back corner.
Btw: I’m contemplating to have zero wavemakers inside the tank with the new 360g build but hate the idea of drilling the tank. Closed loop systems are cool…until you got a leak and drained the whole tank! Will see..this incident might sway my decision though.

I can just leverage the return and 2 Sea Swirls? Sea sweeps are better and can suspend Tunze pumps, so harder for nems to move to? Dunno…

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw: I’m contemplating to have zero wavemakers inside the tank with the new 360g build but hate the idea of drilling the tank. Closed loop systems are cool…until you got a leak and drained the whole tank! Will see..this incident might sway my decision though.

I can just leverage the return and 2 Sea Swirls? Sea sweeps are better and can suspend Tunze pumps, so harder for nems to move to? Dunno…
I've been lucky and have not had a nem get in a power head yet. I have a new 84x30x25 coming into the house tomorrow. I'm debating if I want to move my nems into that tank or not. I keep my haddoni in the bedroom tank that only has 3 fish one being a clarkii. I really would like the haddoni in the new tank in the living room but don't know if its worth the risks. Worse than the possiblity of loosing fish is the risk of having my Gal rub it in if I do loose fish because that's what happened several years ago when I added a green haddoni and lost several fish including my powder blue. She still reminds me of that. She's such a swell Gal lol

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky and have not had a nem get in a power head yet. I have a new 84x30x25 coming into the house tomorrow. I'm debating if I want to move my nems into that tank or not. I keep my haddoni in the bedroom tank that only has 3 fish one being a clarkii. I really would like the haddoni in the new tank in the living room but don't know if its worth the risks. Worse than the possiblity of loosing fish is the risk of having my Gal rub it in if I do loose fish because that's what happened several years ago when I added a green haddoni and lost several fish including my powder blue. She still reminds me of that. She's such a swell Gal lol
Congrats on the new tank — will definitely follow on your new journey as well. I’m doing something similar but planning to add more carpets, not less! Ha

Sucks on losing that many. I think the trick is to provide plenty of space and “night light” so fish don’t run into the giant fish trap at night. Knock on e-wood - I’ve lost only 2 fish so far but my tank is only 7 months old!

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build will not have any MP40s (plan to move them to the main SPS tank). Just going to have 2 Sea Sweeps + Tunze and a Vectra return. Gonna buy this for the new build -- I need a UPS solution and currently one of the MP40s is UPS-enabled.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost only 2 fish so far but my tank is only 7 months old!
Thats probably the nicest 7 month old tank I've seen. Good job!
I would really love to have a tank full carpet nems but I have quite a few fish including some tangs I've had over 6 years so don't want to risk it. I'll be leaving my 180g running while I'm setting up the new tank. Have to see how the 11x14 living room looks with a 6ft and a 7ft tank. I have a hunch momma may have objections to keeping both running :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

EDIT : my plan is to bring my 4 mp40s and all lighting over from the 180 to the new tank. Trying to save a few bucks and already have shelves full of lights and other gear getting dusty so no need to add more to the pile. I'm going try a jebao dcp 15000 for a return. I have two smaller versions as returns on two other tanks and they have performed surprisingly well. Being cheap enough to keep backups on hand is a plus. They are DC but no wifi but I rarely change the return flow once its setup

Last edited:
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats probably the nicest 7 month old tank I've seen. Good job!
I would really love to have a tank full carpet nems but I have quite a few fish including some tangs I've had over 6 years so don't want to risk it. I'll be leaving my 180g running while I'm setting up the new tank. Have to see how the 11x14 living room looks with a 6ft and a 7ft tank. I have a hunch momma may have objections to keeping both running :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

EDIT : my plan is to bring my 4 mp40s and all lighting over from the 180 to the new tank. Trying to save a few bucks and already have shelves full of lights and other gear getting dusty so no need to add more to the pile. I'm going try a jebao dcp 15000 for a return. I have two smaller versions as returns on two other tanks and they have performed surprisingly well. Being cheap enough to keep backups on hand is a plus. They are DC but no wifi but I rarely change the return flow once its setup
Good luck battling Momma -- I'm sure that the "Happy Wife Happy Life" meme was going through your mind. I know the feeling although my fish room is quite large (25x30). However, it has 4 tanks so my Home Boss won't let me put the 360g in there to stage the transfer. Therefore, the monster tank is sitting in the garage while I clean & plumb the setup. Will do the transfer once I figure out all the plumbing.

4xMP40s would definitely work. I was thinking about that as well.....until this morning! I heard that the Jebao return pumps last 5+ years so heck, why spend the $$$ on expensive, controllable, return pumps if all you're going to do is to run them at 100% anyway? Yes, for the price of an "high-end" unit, you can buy 4+ Jebaos as spares! I'll stick to Vectras since I already have it and can easily connect to my DIY UPS.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update that the red haddoni is making a robust recovery. Beaten up but looks like he’ll be ok… He lost some color but to me, it’s a bonus: two-tone red haddoni, making it rare? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7781.jpeg
    IMG_7781.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back