You think 10% OFF is enough to get you to buy on BLACK FRIDAY DEALS?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

.... i think its pathetic and NOT a reason to buy. 10$ off is like getting free shipping

Tired Excuse Me GIF by Spotify

No thanks

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not enough to make me buy. For the things I need to buy to finish my build? It’s only 10 or 15$ Off.

I’m sure that discount does help some. But not me lol

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said the same thing about Waterbox 10% sale. But then I realized that MAP items rarely go on sale so then I was excited about the sale :). I did need some items anyways so I figured it’s better than nothing.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said the same thing about Waterbox 10% sale. But then I realized that MAP items rarely go on sale so then I was excited about the sale :). I did need some items anyways so I figured it’s better than nothing.

I feel ya. What I was getting at was essentially what I need + Black Friday discounts equals a total of 30 or 40 off the entire purchase.

so yeah. It’s nice with lighting. But I can’t buy all the lights I need right now anyway. So the discount is nice but I still am too broke for lights at the moment lol

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I explained to my wife it would take about 25-30% off for me to pull the trigger on my upgrade (all or nothing). Could save us $1000 or so but would mean I’d sit with all the equipment for about 8 months until we moved which wouldn’t be too fun.

If I needed anything I’d be happy with the 10% but it won’t sway me to buy anything.

squidzilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having entered the hobby in 2021, what kinds of BF deals have occurred in past years? Are there any rumors of what might be potentially coming down the pipe next week?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya. What I was getting at was essentially what I need + Black Friday discounts equals a total of 30 or 40 off the entire purchase.

so yeah. It’s nice with lighting. But I can’t buy all the lights I need right now anyway. So the discount is nice but I still am too broke for lights at the moment lol
Lights are ridiculously expensive. I understand your position.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I needed something I would be happy to take the 10% off but I don’t think it would ever entice me to impulse buy something
That's how I feel. Every time I look at any of those sites and think 'okay, Black Friday sales, what do I want?'. I end up not buying anything because saving a few dollars isn't worth buying something I don't need.
Having said that, if I was in the market for a new piece of equipment, this would be the time to grab it, but I'm not going to impulsively buy anything.

I explained to my wife it would take about 25-30% off for me to pull the trigger on my upgrade (all or nothing). Could save us $1000 or so but would mean I’d sit with all the equipment for about 8 months until we moved which wouldn’t be too fun.
At that point, you're probably better off taking your chances on just buying the stuff next year instead of paying for it now, then storing and moving it.
Or maybe a hybrid approach. Keep your eyes open for all the stuff you'll need and see if any of them get cheap enough to buy now, but hold off on buying the tank until after you move.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

.... i think its pathetic and NOT a reason to buy. 10$ off is like getting free shipping

Tired Excuse Me GIF by Spotify

No thanks
I would impulse buy but for the day to day stuff if helps

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Honestly reefing gear and equipments is a nitch hobby and competition to lower the prices is very limited. True deals is when hundreds of manufacturers competing for your business. Until the hobby becomes mainstream. I would consider none of these deals actually steals.
For example: Neptune gear is identically discounted on Neptune website as in brs and saltwateraquarium.com.

No price competition since it's 1 manufactured decorating the price in the case. That goes for most of other gears

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention lots of things have gone up 10% in the last year… so these ‘sales’ are just like paying full price a year ago.

having said that, if I need something now vs. soon in the future, might as well buy now for the discount and possible prizes

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to buy fish related items during Black Friday but the sales are very usless...tbh. if its not at least 25% off then Id rather not buy it. The only time I will, is a few of my LFS's that I go to have decent offers so I'll get some coral or fish. Or I just buy non fish things that I want/need. Plus everything you actually want/need is never on sale and if it is its only 10% off which is really nothing!

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It might not be enough to entice people to buy who wouldn't have done otherwise, but it is enough to annoy anyone who paid full price last week (although, to be fair, we all knew Black Friday was coming).

It's a bad year this year as some of the prices have gone up quite a bit, so a discount only puts it back to the prices that people were used to paying a year ago anyway.

I've looked at several of the sites recently. The discounts are good (10-20%) and I have bought stuff that I was going to buy anyway, but I haven't found any crazy bargains. 10% off is not going to entice me to upgrade my system.

Apart from a very select band of manufacturers, these discounts don't appear any better than you would get at other sales throughout the year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back