You think 10% OFF is enough to get you to buy on BLACK FRIDAY DEALS?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said the same thing about Waterbox 10% sale. But then I realized that MAP items rarely go on sale so then I was excited about the sale :). I did need some items anyways so I figured it’s better than nothing.

Well waterbox increases their prices so the sale is just what you would have paid full price last year.

Big Brother Shrug GIF by Big Brother After Dark

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze did 20 percent off one year. I don’t think they have dropped their sale yet for this year? Maybe they will do that again. It was the one actual good brand that did a decent percent off.

But ya 10ish is standard for every year. It’s not surprising if you been in the hobby a few years.

I mostly just get things I need like stock up on 2 part or carbon and bulbs cuz might as well.

Saltwateraquarium.com did put $20 in points on my account and since they have free shipping for anything… that’s basically actually a free 20 bucks so that was actually the best part for me this year.
In other important news..I had a nice everything bagel this morning with a slightly thicker schmear than usual. Really was the bright spot of my pre-black friday sales events.

I am making sure that IF i buy anything that I dont open them so that I can return if there is a REAL black friday sale. I would be REALLY annoyed, to the point of NEVER coming back to the store, if they offer larger discounts on black friday or cyber monday after all of this pre-black friday nonsense. This really would be PR problem if these stores pulled those shenanigans. Would you ever trust this type of sale again?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other important news..I had a nice everything bagel this morning with a slightly thicker schmear than usual. Really was the bright spot of my pre-black friday sales events.

I am making sure that IF i buy anything that I dont open them so that I can return if there is a REAL black friday sale. I would be REALLY annoyed, to the point of NEVER coming back to the store, if they offer larger discounts on black friday or cyber monday after all of this pre-black friday nonsense. This really would be PR problem if these stores pulled those shenanigans. Would you ever trust this type of sale again?

I doubt that would happen. I don’t remember it happening in the past. Saltwater stuff is like the least exciting Black Friday sales except for some specific coral venders.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really would be PR problem if these stores pulled those shenanigans. Would you ever trust this type of sale again?
I disagree. Offering increasingly better deals as we get closer and closer to the holidays is normal for any store. They're trying to run down their stock (and bring in more money) and, in hope of a better price, you run the risk of not being able to attain the item.
No store has any obligation to always sell things for the same or higher price than what you paid. Everyone hates it when they buy something just to have the price go down (or go down more) a few weeks later, but it's how it works.

I doubt that would happen. I don’t remember it happening in the past. Saltwater stuff is like the least exciting Black Friday sales except for some specific coral venders.
That kinda makes sense though. It's such a small hobby that most people won't give reef equipment or livestock as a gift since they have no idea what it involves. Just like if you had to give a gift to someone that had model trains or was a hobby welder or had a 3D Printer. Unless you understand a little about the hobby and had some idea as to what they might need, you'll probably just go in a different direction. I'd wager the overwhelming majority of items purchased from marine aquarium stores isn't bought as a gift.
Just as an example, my family knows I have a reef tank...and now I have a stack of Petco gift cards that I don't have a whole lot of use for. Which I guess is better than them wrapping up a fish and leaving it under the tree or giving me some random piece of equipment that I don't need or can't use.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Offering increasingly better deals as we get closer and closer to the holidays is normal for any store. They're trying to run down their stock (and bring in more money) and, in hope of a better price, you run the risk of not being able to attain the item.
No store has any obligation to always sell things for the same or higher price than what you paid. Everyone hates it when they buy something just to have the price go down (or go down more) a few weeks later, but it's how it works.
And that is why i am not going to open anything so that I can return if a better price comes up. They play their games, i'll play mine.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh to 10% off, that's taxes for me. If I want it and I have the scratch to get it, I will. I'm not waiting on a bs sale for aquarium equipment, it's usually never a real deal anyway. Black Friday sales be danged, it's usually not worth the effort as the merchant has bumped the prices to 'drop' them once a year for a week.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think 10% OFF is enough to get you to buy on BLACK FRIDAY DEALS?

.... i think its pathetic and NOT a reason to buy. 10$ off is like getting free shipping No thanks
I think it depends on the item, but generally speaking this year's Black Friday pre-sales seem to be pretty lackluster.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I luv the sales and giveaways. Every dollar counts to me especially being on a budget. The 10% off plus the extra $10 rewards that BRS and SWA are offering are great incentives to stock up on necessities like salt mix, additives, etc.

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, because every online vendor has that same discount. You basically got 2-3% off because BRS charges tax.......that was your mistake.

By not choosing a vendor that doesn't charge tax which many don't, you lost 7-8% discount.
Like who?
Edit- found one of six or so online Neptune listed sellers. Oh well, next time I’ll shop. I live in Kalifornia so I’m used to to being taxed and don’t think anything of it. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look around more next time.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dont want to sound ungrateful as any discount is and should be appreciated.
We have been subject to higher pricing over the last several months and these IMO were not the hardest times as many are back to work, but COVID was the hardest times for many who were out of work.
We got many entities and businesses' out of a bind with our continued support and I predicted it would be 5-10-15% once again respectively.
I would be more receptive to 25% off ONE Single item. At 5-10%, it puts me in a situation of being in no hurry to buy. I'll pay the extra $5 or $10 when i'm ready.
Additionally, throughout the year, we are offered 5 and 10% off and more when BRS places a $10 coupon in a box, on an order of $50, youve saved the current 10% being offered.
However, when you are buying a $800 light which is now typical, 10% = $80 plus the free shipping offers some value.
I am equally disappointed and have not ordered ONE single black friday item as of yet.
I need more flatworm exit by pohls which i use for nutrients and when my savings are a mere $3.02, im not by any means going to jump and order ASAP.
Again:
Just an opinion
It is appreciated as no manufacturer is obligated to offer ANY discount.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
absolutely, i saved some money on stuff i was going to buy anyway, just bought it a little sooner. and while i'm off work and staying the hell home away from the crazies on actual black Friday i'll have some projects to work on.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like who?
Edit- found one of six or so online Neptune listed sellers. Oh well, next time I’ll shop. I live in Kalifornia so I’m used to to being taxed and don’t think anything of it. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look around more next time.
Don’t feel bad. We live and learn. Enjoy your purchase.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that owns a retail business, I'm going to give you some inside baseball - there's certainly no "sales" this year. Nobody is going to discount in the current economic climate. Sales in general are PR stunts, not actual savings. Most businesses buy for sales, meaning they'll load up on items at a small bulk discount, or simply mark the price up and then add a discount. Best example in the aquarium game is BRS and aquariums. A NUVO 40 AIO was 450 in October, it is now 550 with a 15% discount. It's 60 dollars cheaper at mr. saltwater, which is not on sale. I'm not throwing shade at the great BRS, but it just shows you how the word SALE can skew your ideas of value. Prices have skyrocketed this year in all categories, businesses are making record profits on wall street (and main street), the consumer is now at a disadvantage due to supply.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As someone that owns a retail business, I'm going to give you some inside baseball - there's certainly no "sales" this year. Nobody is going to discount in the current economic climate. Sales in general are PR stunts, not actual savings. Most businesses buy for sales, meaning they'll load up on items at a small bulk discount, or simply mark the price up and then add a discount. Best example in the aquarium game is BRS and aquariums. A NUVO 40 AIO was 450 in October, it is now 550 with a 15% discount. It's 60 dollars cheaper at mr. saltwater, which is not on sale. I'm not throwing shade at the great BRS, but it just shows you how the word SALE can skew your ideas of value. Prices have skyrocketed this year in all categories, businesses are making record profits on wall street (and main street), the consumer is now at a disadvantage due to supply.
Agreed, I had retail pet store for many years and Anything I put on sale - I got on sale from distributors. Distributors get higher and Pallet discounts but they also have higher operating costs.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%

Back