Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, May 5, 2017.

YOUR CURIOUSLY INNOCENT NEGLIGENCE

I still spend a lot of time on the phone with fellow reefers who are having problems of the worst possible kind - and by that I mean - “head...
  1. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Ok thats good then. one other thing to cross of the list first before we can really troubleshoot. Are you by any chance using Coarse ARM media in a calcium reactor?

2. tripdad

tripdad Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

No, two part dosed, numbers are steady.BRS cal, alk,MAG. If you want I can take this convo to PM so as not to clog up your thread.

3. Playa-1

Playa-1 Active Member

Good write up. :)

4. Battlecorals

Ok cool agree we may have to take this to pm or text then, but I'll be more than happy top help you troubleshoot. Best thing would be to see some pics so I can get an idea of what all going on in there.

5. Ssteve

Ssteve Active Member

Or maybe start a new thread? I'd like to see the brain storming and ultimately the outcome.

Mjl714 likes this.
  6. Battlecorals

Thats a not a bad idea

7. Triggreef

Triggreef Zoa Addict R2R Supporter CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

I agree 100% I need to change my sediment and carbon blocks as we speak. I have 3 separate ro setups so it gets expensive and I have to keep a checklist updated to keep track.

One tip is for the tds meter, use the in probe between the di resin and membrane and the out probe after the membrane. No need to know what the tds is of the water coming out of the tap, it changes very little usually. This way you know when its time to change the di as well as the membrane.

8. tripdad

Ok, I'll start a new thread after work, thanks.

9. Scott.h

Scott.h Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

That's adam for all those phone messages and troubleshooting ideas!

It's really nice to have a guy like adam in your contacts that can help from time to time to verify your sanity.. not to mention he has some of most awesome sps pieces known!

Battlecorals likes this.
  10. Fragzilla

Fragzilla Active Member

This is something I have been worried about because my tap water is also really high in chlorine, it stinks!

What I don't get is that sea water is full of chloride and from what I can gather it's the same as chlorine. What am I missing here?

11. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

One electron. Chloride is an ion of Chlorine. The extra electron makes it much less reactive.

cmcoker likes this.
  12. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

IMG_9827.GIF

Insane320, McMullen and Battlecorals like this.
  13. Battlecorals

Really appreciate that Scott! thank you. Very happy to be able to help whenever i can.

14. gig 'em

gig 'em Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

My old filter blocks or exhausted DI resin have been my phantom coral aggravater several times now. I immediately change out the filter blocks on my RO when I see coral PE and colors diminish and perform large water changes. TDS always says 0 before and after the filter change, but the corals tell the truth! Whatever gets through is either too small to be picked up by a TDS meter, but concentrated enough to hurt corals, or isn't registering at all. Start at the source and work your way down the list when trouble shooting.

15. Tiggy13

Tiggy13 Member

16. Battlecorals

Ok thinking lets do it here. if you are up for it. Might be good to publicly document the whole process. Next question. Are you running any gfo,or activated carbon or any other type of similar media at all, and/or are you adding anything else to the system? Any bottled mystery liquid or things of that nature?

Maacc and bubbaque like this.
  17. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I would like to know the problem solving process

18. Tapio

Tapio Active Member

I always worry about cloramines in my water so I use a Hanna Total Chlorine Checker HI 711 to check for chloramines that may pass through the carbon filters and if too high I replace the carbon cartridges. http://hannainst.com/hi711-total-chlorine.html

19. Sm51498

Sm51498 Active Member

I'm quite amazed at how terrible many people's tap water is. Other than some ammonia, chlorine and silicates, mine is pretty good. I doubt I would notice much if my filter wasn't working.

Years ago I used treated tap water to great success. It is a bit shocking to see the water quality people receive being so bad.

Triggreef likes this.
  20. tripdad

Ok, I'll start with the basics so we are all on the same page. Tank is 65 gals with a 20 gal sump holding approximately 13 gals. of water. T5 lighting, very thin sand bed, less than 3/4" in places, 1 mp10qd, 2 chinese wavemakers, E-shopps skimmer skimming medium wet. Params are generally rock steady at PH 8.0 -8.2, KH 8.5-9, PO4 .06 - .08, NO3 3.0 -5.0,Temp 78 deg. with controller, 2 part dosing with BRS additives. As stated earlier RO/DI is a Spectrapure unit upgraded to 6 stages, 2 pre-filters, 1 sediment cartridge, 2 carbon blocks and 1 DI. I am on a well, incoming TDS is around 354 ppm , after membrane 4 ppm, after DI 0 ppm. I change at 1 ppm. I flush membrane with a bypass for 1 minute before start collecting water from unit. I dose 1 drop of lugols every other day and 2 drops of AF "V"(vitamins) every third day. I run 1/2 cup gfo and 1/2 cup carbon in a reactor. I also run 1 litre of Siporax in a reactor. 7 fish, fed daily frozen mysis. Mix of corals mostly LPS and SPS. Right now SPS down to 6 pcs. frags and mini colony sized. Tenuis are really hard for me to keep if that helps. I have just this past weekend changed the 2nd carbon block rotating #2 into # 1 slot and new block into #2 spot. DI resin changed 30 days ago approx. Incoming well water contains sulfur and black iron, no chloramines.

Draft saved Draft deleted