Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, May 5, 2017.

YOUR CURIOUSLY INNOCENT NEGLIGENCE

I still spend a lot of time on the phone with fellow reefers who are having problems of the worst possible kind - and by that I mean - “head...
  1. tripdad

tripdad Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

This has been my biggest frustration, when i used the water from the tap after just filtering it stuff grew really well, bizarre.

Sm51498 likes this.

2. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Ok awesome man. Thanks for info thats a good help. My very first instinct would be to have you pull the GFO and carbon. But I'd really like to get an idea of what you corals are actually looking like before wee make any actual changes. Would you be comfortable posting pics of some of the questionable coral in this thread? if not if you can send them to me. id really like to get a look at what you have in front of you. One other question and sorry if i missed, how long has the tank been set up?

BrettMallette likes this.
  3. tripdad

I will take current pics tonight and I have "before" pics of the same corals. Tank age about 2 years.

reeftank220master likes this.
  4. Triggreef

Triggreef Zoa Addict R2R Supporter CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

mine only is about 100 tds but there's something definitely not good for corals when i let my rodi filters lay too long. I've done many triton tests and all my problems usually happen when i start setting high zinc or tin. i know my trap water is high in iron so i suspect those two as well. if i let my softener system run out of salt i could fill a bucket of water and it will be orange the next day.

Sm51498 likes this.
  5. kennedpa

kennedpa Well-Known Member

What's wrong with ARM media?!! :eek:

My poor tank ...

6. tripdad

Ok, Lets try and upload a couple photo's. I'll do the minimum for now, let me know if you need more and thanks for any help offered. samsung 030.jpg This is before, body color gold with green highlights and bright blue growth tips samsung 303.jpg this is now, about 3 mos. later. Body color green,brown with muted blue at tips, PE very reduced. samsung 301.jpg FTS currently, hammers failing to fully open,some sps dead, colors are muddy and dark,coraline has lightened in hue. P.S. the phone does pump up the purple some otherwise fairly close to what I see. Thanks again Adam, hope this helps others.

7. kennedpa

Sorry @Battlecorals I'm using reborn. I don't know why I always mix that up. Any insight on that while we're at it.

8. Sm51498

Sm51498 Active Member

Mine is about the same TDS ~130. Looking at the city's water report, its mostly due to carbonate hardness and decently high silicates. The only thing stopping me from using straight tap water is the highish ammonia reading. Though, I bet an algae scrubber could take care of that.....

Maybe I should attempt an experiment.

9. Battlecorals

Sure thing. I have, along with a number of other people, discovered almost collectively that there is/ was some unknown pollutant in coarse ARM media that was extremely detrimental.

It was actually durrig a two year head scratcher that was the result of the media that I uprooted the system like I mentioned in the original post.

In that instance it actually was not the water at all. The issues I was experiencing were directly related to the media.

It just took me two years and a ridiculous amount of troubleshooting to determine that. Still don't know exactly what it was but there wirhout a doubt something in or on the media being dissolved and fed back into the tank that killed and stunned 70% of my collection

Once the arm was removed the problem went away almost overnight.

10. kennedpa

Interesting. It would likely be informative to run effluent into a collection device for triton analysis with different medias, and as a control the aquarium water feeding the reactor for comparison.

Thanks for the input Adam.

I guess your not mentioning reborn is afirming that it's a great media I have had good luck with it so far. I think.

11. Battlecorals

Definitely would be. My issues were long before we had triton testing available unfortunately but I would have been very curious to see what the results would be.

I am using Reborn now and has been many years for what its worth no trouble there but l still rinse it really well and inspect and remove anything that doesn't look like a clean piece of coral skeleton.

kennedpa likes this.
  12. Battlecorals

Thanks a lot Not nearly as bad as I was expecting:) . the acro colonies don't look too bad but it does look like they still fairly new to the system Is the first pic of the acro, when you first got it then, and has it only been in there for 3 months, and how long has the tank been set up? I'd definitely pull the gfo and carbon for sure for starters.

13. tripdad

No, been in tank about 6 mos. First pic is about month 3 1/2. The biggest problem is that since set up 2 years ago I go thru swings of health and coral death. I've lost about 6 sps to some veeerryy slow degradation in health over the last year and a half in this tank. Same scenario in previous tank, months of reasonable health followed by a slide. Never a clear culprit. It's always a very slow turn in either direction. Growth has been slow to nil. I'm just trying to keep them healthy these days. As I said years ago, filtered tap water and not much else they grew like crazy in my old tank. My hammers were a weed back then, same with monti-caps. Now they just languish. Another example samsung 029.jpg Before, 7-8 months ago, beautiful colors, nice violet tips w/white polyps. next photo now, muddy brown, little or no purple in real life, no growth. samsung 302.jpg

14. fishboy11

fishboy11 Member

Adam. What are your thoughts/reasoning behind pulling carbon/gfo offline? I don't run gfo anymore, but still run carbon. Would love to hear your experiences.

15. bubbaque

bubbaque Never enough SPS R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Also, what would you do if he starts getting algae from pulling the gfo? What would you do?

16. Battlecorals

I am just not a big fan of either. And maybe I rely on my skimmer too much or take it for granted how well it works but in my experience GFO causes more issues weather subtle or not that it solves, and when trying to zero in on an unknown issue, the more variable we can eliminate the better. Carbon/gfo are always the first thing to go. Often that's all it takes to see a turn around but not every time. Its just further simplifies the system. For me" less stuff" is my creedo and I'm am not convinced in ant way that elevated phos is as detrimental as we have been lewd to think it is. I rant about that here.

As for algae. I don't see a few random tufts as anything too be concerned about. I may be in the minority here, but I actually like a little waving green in my display, but I also rely heavily on my rabbits and hermits to keep the rocks pretty clean. If algae becomes a big problem and a rabbit's not an option then we'll have to address it then.

17. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Exactly this. :mad: I wiped out my first Battlebox worth of coral by adding too much GFO too quickly. Shocked then starved the coral. :(

Lesson learned.

HolisticBear likes this.
  18. swk

swk Well-Known Member

My system is very nutrient rich and I have very little algae. Only a few snails and zero hermits. My main CUC?

Urchin
    Foxface
    Bristletooth and scopas tang
    Algae blenny

I actually have to add nori to feed them all. Nitrates 15 po4 .13-.2

19. tripdad

Carbon and GFO removed.

20. tripdad

One more post for information's sake. samsung 310.jpg Skimmer cup was cleaned on Sunday, pic on Tuesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted