Your Morning Coffee Routine

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of you caffeine enthusiasts out there, let's see your setup.

Coffee is one of my other "hobbies" outside of reefing. Typically I'm either making a pour-over (Chemex), or pulling shots on the Rocket machine (Appartamento Nera) to drink straight or make a tasty beverage. At the moment, been digging the Malabar Gold beans from Josuma.

I'll post a couple shots to get the ball rolling:

Machine: Rocket Appartamento Nera
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder Pro
Scale: Acaia Pearl
Knock Box: Decent
Tamper: Decent
Distributor Tool: No-name
Kettle: Brim
Pour-over: Chemex

The bar it's sitting on is actually a scaled version of the design we used for our tanks. Still needs some paint or another form of decoration.

coffee_bar.jpg

The reclaimed wood accent wall is work in progress. Floating shelves will be going up soon.

coffee_bar2.jpg

An experiment: Godiva chocolate syrup, sweetened condensed milk, then espresso.

View attachment IMG_20210311_213245_057.mp4

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a Breville Barista Express and love that machine. I just pulled a double shot to get me over the afternoon hump :)

Favorite Beans so far though have been Stumptown Hair Bender and Better Buzz Black Magic.

I'm more interested to see others suggestions on beans for espresso. I'll have to try the Malabar Gold beans from Josuma.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 to 30 grams of medium roast beans
most of the time ethiopian, every now and then i switch it up with indonesian, guatamala, kona, or something else...

grind in baratza virtuoso+

hario V2 pour over, 360 grams of water

used to home roast, still have some green beans left over, i need to get back at it.
freshroast SR540

J.

OP
OP
bg2311

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 to 30 grams of medium roast beans
most of the time ethiopian, every now and then i switch it up with indonesian, guatamala, kona, or something else...

grind in baratza virtuoso+

hario V2 pour over, 360 grams of water

used to home roast, still have some green beans left over, i need to get back at it.
freshroast SR540

J.
Our home roasting so far has been in a $20 popcorn popper. It works, though the roasting could be more even.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a pour-over of a French roast or whatever looks good at my local coffee shop/roaster. If I know Im going to want more than a cup, or if my GF wants coffee instead of tea, I’ll do a French press. I like dark, oily coffee, but I’m not a snob about it, I won’t turn down a cup of Folgers (I draw the line at powdered or non-dairy/flavored creamers though, it’s half and half, whole milk in a pinch, or black).

wgall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite topics!

In the mornings, I use an Aeropress if I am in a hurry but I use a Chemex most of the time. Nothing impressive enough to submit a picture of.

There are a few local roasters I buy single origin coffee from every week.

I use a Lido 2 grinder and 25g of beans to 440g water at about 195-205*F in my Chemex. Bloom for 30 seconds, do a couple of pours, and it always finishes between three and a half and four minutes.

Different brewing methods are great to play with but a good grinder can make an amazing difference.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite topics!

In the mornings, I use an Aeropress if I am in a hurry but I use a Chemex most of the time. Nothing impressive enough to submit a picture of.

There are a few local roasters I buy single origin coffee from every week.

I use a Lido 2 grinder and 25g of beans to 440g water at about 195-205*F in my Chemex. Bloom for 30 seconds, do a couple of pours, and it always finishes between three and a half and four minutes.

Different brewing methods are great to play with but a good grinder can make an amazing difference.

I love my Lido 2 but I do not enjoy the arm workout so it usually just goes camping with me.

My method:
-fancy $20 single origin beans
-crappy $20 Mr Coffee grinder than does NOT do the beans justice but I’m too stubborn to buy a better one
-nice Bonavita drip machine that does a good bloom option

I really love to make a good light roast cold brew like you can get in San Fran but don’t do it often as it takes a lot of work and patience.

wgall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Lido 2 but I do not enjoy the arm workout so it usually just goes camping with me.

My method:
-fancy $20 single origin beans
-crappy $20 Mr Coffee grinder than does NOT do the beans justice but I’m too stubborn to buy a better one
-nice Bonavita drip machine that does a good bloom option

I really love to make a good light roast cold brew like you can get in San Fran but don’t do it often as it takes a lot of work and patience.
I don't mind the arm workout. Besides it being a good grinder, I use it so it doesn't wake the family up when I'm getting ready at 5am. The Encore I used to have was way too loud in the mornings.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing "fancy" in our setup is a nice burr grinder I bought at Starbucks some 20 years ago.

Most important part of my routine is lots of butter and cream in the coffee - it's my breakfast and lunch all in one.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats a French Press. It's dirt cheap and requires no special equipment (well I use a burr grinder). I think it makes a "dang Fine Cup of Coffee" (that and Berry Kiss are my favorite roasts).

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A topic near and dear. If I could pick another career it would be roasting coffee! I’m away from home so no pics but here is my routine/setup.

roast my own beans on a 1kg gas roaster. Chinese made called a BC-2. Imported by Buckeye Coffee in Arizona. Let beans degas for at least 24hrs. Use all beans within 2 weeks.

Grinders:
Espresso grind: Kafatec Monolith Flat
Drip grind: Baratza Vario W

machines:
Drip: Technivorm Mochamaster.
55grams to 8 cups water

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi II
20g beans. Pull for 25-40 seconds yield 30-40 grams. Bean dependent.

Camping setup:
Hario grinder with aeropress

have but rarely use:
Chemex
clever dripper
Various French press sizes

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of you caffeine enthusiasts out there, let's see your setup.

Coffee is one of my other "hobbies" outside of reefing. Typically I'm either making a pour-over (Chemex), or pulling shots on the Rocket machine (Appartamento Nera) to drink straight or make a tasty beverage. At the moment, been digging the Malabar Gold beans from Josuma.

I'll post a couple shots to get the ball rolling:

Machine: Rocket Appartamento Nera
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder Pro
Scale: Acaia Pearl
Knock Box: Decent
Tamper: Decent
Distributor Tool: No-name
Kettle: Brim
Pour-over: Chemex

The bar it's sitting on is actually a scaled version of the design we used for our tanks. Still needs some paint or another form of decoration.

coffee_bar.jpg

The reclaimed wood accent wall is work in progress. Floating shelves will be going up soon.

coffee_bar2.jpg

An experiment: Godiva chocolate syrup, sweetened condensed milk, then espresso.

View attachment IMG_20210311_213245_057.mp4
Love your station! Beautiful

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back