• No. It’s a bad idea.

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this idea a few days ago and I just want to spark up conversation about it. What if you had a home on the coast that was at the waters edge but not on a beach, and your backyard was the portion that reached out to the water. Then what if you dig out an area of that backyard that made a 40’x40’ area where one side didn’t exist and instead connected to the ocean, creating an inlet, and sealed up the ground with concrete. Then built a barrier that allowed ocean water to flow in and out freely, but kept out marine wildlife.

I was just thinking this would be so cool because you could sculpt your own in ground backyard reef and then stock it how you want…AND…be able to swim in your reef! Wouldn’t have to worry about water changes because the ocean water is your source.

I know there’s more to the logistics but instead of going into it I’ll leave it there for now and hopefully this discussion can take off!!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't hurricane season hit and just wash it away?

Sorry, party pooper!

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't hurricane season hit and just wash it away?

Sorry, party pooper!
I suppose that’s one risk you’d have to consider. Though in this hobby there’s always a risk to consider.

Besides, you could always look at it as a chance to just re-aquascape.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this idea a few days ago and I just want to spark up conversation about it. What if you had a home on the coast that was at the waters edge but not on a beach, and your backyard was the portion that reached out to the water. Then what if you dig out an area of that backyard that made a 40’x40’ area where one side didn’t exist and instead connected to the ocean, creating an inlet, and sealed up the ground with concrete. Then built a barrier that allowed ocean water to flow in and out freely, but kept out marine wildlife.

I was just thinking this would be so cool because you could sculpt your own in ground backyard reef and then stock it how you want…AND…be able to swim in your reef! Wouldn’t have to worry about water changes because the ocean water is your source.

I know there’s more to the logistics but instead of going into it I’ll leave it there for now and hopefully this discussion can take off!!!
There's actually a very old system like this in Deadman's Cay on Long Island, in the Bahamas. There's a series of canals that runs from the local bay, through some of the town, and into a series of saline mangrove lakes some distance inland. No one knows who built them, but they're filled with an amazing variety of sealife that ebbs and flows with the day; deeper pools are like small fish ponds, but with entirely marine fish. I've even seen small sea turtles and stingrays in the canals, and quite far from the ocean. Water flow is constant -- the current is quite fast -- and powered by the tides.

Most of the canals were carved right out of the underlying oolitic sandstone, but there are a few, including one that goes under the road, that looks like it was paved with cement.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think heavy rain would also be an issue unless you had a lot of turn over. I think its possible but would be a huge undertaking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think heavy rain would also be an issue unless you had a lot of turn over. I think its possible but would be a huge undertaking. Probably wouldn't look like our tanks though.
How so would rain be an issue? You wouldn’t be pumping water to and from the ocean. It would just flow freely.

And yeah it’s definitely a huge undertaking. More so one of those “what would you do if money was no object” scenarios.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so would rain be an issue? You wouldn’t be pumping water to and from the ocean. It would just flow freely.

And yeah it’s definitely a huge undertaking. More so one of those “what would you do if money was no object” scenarios.

Salinity will change if the turnover to the ocean isn't enough. Think of the pool filling faster then it is freely flowing in and out.

Probably wouldn't look like our tanks though. I am not sure about keeping marine wildlife in or out... I would think keeping them in would be a death sentence eventually. Instead just let in whatever is local... come and go as it pleases. I am also not sure if a pool may be easy prey for something. I suppose if a Koi pond can work.. shrug.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about keeping marine wildlife in or out... I would think keeping them in would be a death sentence eventually. Instead just let in whatever is local... come and go as it pleases. I am also not sure if a pool may be easy prey for something. I suppose if a Koi pond can work.. shrug.
Well letting local wildlife in and out can be dangerous (sharks). That’s why I mentioned the barrier that only lets water through. So you can stick with your own wildlife and keep them as safe as possible from predators.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also think its illegal to import many species of fish and coral that are not found local... and many local corals are often protected. Like I don't think you can bring anything in to Hawaii. Many places don't want you bringing in stuff that may disrupt the local wildlife which is understandable so it's not like you can just buy the hottest new acro/zoa whatever or add your favorite fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater canals, Long Island, Bahamas. I just wish I had pictures of the fish!

0F59F71E-1124-4C97-A1DB-281434141B52.jpeg 737DC967-D593-467C-B732-5049BF114C01.jpeg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a TV show about fancy homes on the Big Island of Hawaii. A guy did just that. The owner had a narrow trench dug that led to a good sized fish pool in his ocean side yard. No filtration, the water changed with the tides. Must be nice to have money. lol

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a TV show about fancy homes on the Big Island of Hawaii. A guy did just that. The owner had a narrow trench dug that led to a good sized fish pool in his ocean side yard. No filtration, the water changed with the tides. Must be nice to have money. lol
Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well it would be highly illegal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To do that in Massachusetts would require very extensive permitting. You cannot even plant plants near the ocean in many places without DEP/ conservation commission permissions.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it would be highly illegal.
How so? I don’t see it being any different than having a private beach. Not being argumentative. I’m genuinely curious about which law(s) it would break. Obviously one would have to get a permit to do the digging; but other than that…?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? I don’t see it being any different than having a private beach. Not being argumentative. I’m genuinely curious about which law(s) it would break. Obviously one would have to get a permit to do the digging; but other than that…?
For starters, stocking it with what you want, as in introducing corals, fish, inverts, etc are strictly prohibited. Anything from outside the immediate area is not allowed and collecting from the area is not legal without special license and even then most things are off limits.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest hurtle without the various laws, etc with dredging a private pond next to public water would be the forces of nature, tides, storms, drifting sand, seaweed, etc. destroying it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back