Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timer at the LFS was hard wired in conduit.
I would like to use a cord plugged into my GFCI outlet.
The easiest way to do it, if you have a home automation device like Alexa or Google Home, is to use a wifi controlled outlet.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The easiest way to do it, if you have a home automation device like Alexa or Google Home, is to use a wifi controlled outlet.

i don’t have one. I’m not understanding how this would work?

I do prefer having some type of dial timer or set 30min timer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you had one, you could buy a wifi controlled outlet. With the proper programming on an Amazon Echo, you could say "Alexa, initiate feed mode" and have it turn the skimmer off for 30 minutes.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1610564648256.png

Use something like this and wire to the normally closed contacts.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just found this using spring wound countdown timer.

This is exactly what I’m trying to achieve, is this safe to do?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this using spring wound countdown timer.

This is exactly what I’m trying to achieve, is this safe to do?

I did not watch the video just scrolled tru. The theory looks ok but the application is not.

Mount it in a box and use wire with ground.

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12V DC power supply rated at 40A. If I power 5 or 6 devices (dc pumps, etc.) each rated at 1 or 2 amps simultaneously, would this cause a problem for any of the devices?

Thanks.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool of you to offer your help. Wonder your thoughts on this. When ever we would set up an outlet on a landscape job that was outside we put it in an outdoor waterproof box with the flip lid. So when I set up my tank I put one over my outlets in the house in the event water got spilled behind the tank the outlets would be protected. Do you see any issue with this?
Its not necessary for the inuse cover, if you have a gfci receptacle in there or even better a gfci/arc fault braker in your panel

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12V DC power supply rated at 40A. If I power 5 or 6 devices (dc pumps, etc.) each rated at 1 or 2 amps simultaneously, would this cause a problem for any of the devices?

Thanks.
Are you sure its a dc power supply, if so how do you wire it to the device you are powering, and are the devices you are trying to power dc also, or do they require transformers, because Series or parallel wiring will make a big difference also. But a couple pictures im sure I could help point you in the right direction..

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wiring a new circuit that will have gfi outlet in a 2 gang box with the other receptacle being a regular outlet downstream. Can I just daisy chain the two or is it better to use pigtails in this scenario?
Line, power into line side of gfci and load out to the regular receptacle pig tail the grounds and push it into the box

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12
How is this possible?
The power in my master bedroom was off this morning. The rest of the house was working as normal. I'm looking around at all of the things in the room that should be on, but everything was off. As I was leaving the room to go to the fusebox to check it, I hear the TV click on. Everything is now turned on.
How is that possible without me resetting the fusebox? What happened to cause this? My house was built in 2007 if that helps.
Thanks...

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12
How is this possible?
The power in my master bedroom was off this morning. The rest of the house was working as normal. I'm looking around at all of the things in the room that should be on, but everything was off. As I was leaving the room to go to the fusebox to check it, I hear the TV click on. Everything is now turned on.
How is that possible without me resetting the fusebox? What happened to cause this? My house was built in 2007 if that helps.
Thanks...
That does sound like it shouldn't be possible.

How automated is the stuff in your bedroom? Could most of the loads in there be controlled by WiFi and it was a network issue that caused things to not come on?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alexa, and my home modem are the only things in the room wifi. Nothing automated. I was standing there in amazement scratching my head as to how can this be. Its a mystery.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound like it shouldn't be possible.

Brew, he lost a phase coming into the house. The power company was probably working on a line and dropped a phase. Then it came back on as they fixed it. It is actually fairly common.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, he lost a phase coming into the house. The power company was probably working on a line and dropped a phase. Then it came back on as they fixed it. It is actually fairly common.
Good call! I was thinking it was just one room but you are right, it was just that this was the only room he noticed.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12
How is this possible?
Thanks...
Thats a tuff one easiest thing to do is check breakers make sure wires are tight and all brakers are on and not half tripped then make sure they are putting out 120v after that if all looks good it could get tricky and need to be looked at check the panel thats the power source

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check, the rest of the house was on. The living room where my tank is, TV was on, and dinning room and both bathrooms all had power, It was just the master bedroom affected.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the M. Bedroom in the fuse box. Wasn't 1/2 tripped, but I reset it anyway.
is the only thing on that breaker what was effected or is there other things{other bed room receptacles,other house receptacles} on that circuit that remained on when you had the problem?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back