Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll end up hiring an electrician to do the work but whats the best way to run power from a house to a greenhouse? Would it be safe to run light fixtures inside a greenhouse? What is the safest option? Sorry for all the questions haha. I feel like I might get gouged hiring someone with no knowledge at all on this subject.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about hiring anyone as I have never hired anyone for anything except dentists and if I could stand my screaming, I would do that myself because I also don't think many of them have no clue what they are doing.

But I am a "A Rated" Journeyman, Master Electrician in New York (retired) so there is no one in the US more qualified for this even if you have more degrees than a thermometer and I am going to tell you how to do this for almost free but don't get it inspected and in most places you are allowed to do your own work on your own house as long as you don't see much smoke when your done.

Dig a trench to your greenhouse from someplace near your panel. If you don't need a separate circuit in your greenhouse, dig the trench from an existing outdoor outlet or if you have none, from a place on your house opposite where there is an outlet inside your house.

For those types of running wires I used to get one of those sprinkler installers and have them pull the wire under the ground with this tool they use to run sprinkler lines. It will take about 30 seconds depending on how far you need to go.

Run "direct burial cable". It needs to be marked 12/2 if you only want one circuit. It will have a white, a black and a bare wire.

At your greenhouse, you can either bring that cable in under the floor or if you have to come up the outside of the wall, run it in PVC pipe. 1/2" PVC pipe will work but you may want to use 3/4" as it is easier.

From there you can install a switch, outlet, or whatever you want to install.

At the house you have to describe it further to see what you need to do from there.
Of course you can do this "expensive" part yourself and have an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing to connect it.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about hiring anyone as I have never hired anyone for anything except dentists and if I could stand my screaming, I would do that myself because I also don't think many of them have no clue what they are doing.

But I am a "A Rated" Journeyman, Master Electrician in New York (retired) so there is no one in the US more qualified for this even if you have more degrees than a thermometer and I am going to tell you how to do this for almost free but don't get it inspected and in most places you are allowed to do your own work on your own house as long as you don't see much smoke when your done.

Dig a trench to your greenhouse from someplace near your panel. If you don't need a separate circuit in your greenhouse, dig the trench from an existing outdoor outlet or if you have none, from a place on your house opposite where there is an outlet inside your house.

For those types of running wires I used to get one of those sprinkler installers and have them pull the wire under the ground with this tool they use to run sprinkler lines. It will take about 30 seconds depending on how far you need to go.

Run "direct burial cable". It needs to be marked 12/2 if you only want one circuit. It will have a white, a black and a bare wire.

At your greenhouse, you can either bring that cable in under the floor or if you have to come up the outside of the wall, run it in PVC pipe. 1/2" PVC pipe will work but you may want to use 3/4" as it is easier.

At the house you have to describe it further to see what you need to do from there.
Of course you can do this "expensive" part yourself and have an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing to connect it.
Thank you that's really helpful :) that doesnt sound nearly as complex as I thought it would be

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some 200' extension cords, is that bad? Maybe thats why my tools go so slow. :confused:
im not sure why 200' extension cords would be bad to have get #12 cords....

omg sir i cant believe some of your stuff its almost amazing.... ill keep it short but anyone that is serious about their investment aka house their life their property, which is the main duty of any electrician, is to safeguard personnel and property from electrical hazards. that's how its stated in the NEC "national electric code" ........Get your work inspected anyone that tells you different either doesn't know better or doesn't care about the things i listed. if your work is good enough and correct there is no reason to not have it inspected.

#1 its in the county as documented work that is correct. that signs off your liability and if something happens you have no chance in winning in any court or insurance dispute. God forbid someone gets hurt pfft forget-a-boudit, its electric don't mess with it, if your not sure about it. don't listen to guys on forums or home depot isles. and when they show up in my shop with stuff like rap music trips gfci receptacles and basically that entire post i am a little cautious.

im sorry but id hate to see anyone trying to find short cuts on a aquarium forum for electric to hurt them selves or someone else or damage their property!! h.s
if you are confident in doing the work pull a homeowners permit pay the 50$ have it inspected and put on county records as being correct, so it doesn't bite you in the butt later on. if you cant do that just have an electrician do it shop for prices and do it right. how much is sleeping sound at night worth..

that's legit advise without throwing my credentials in every post but almost all the info you were given can be picked up on by just reading combined with 60 years of life or so, but what he didnt tell you is the good information that a real electrician has like depths actual material building codes for your area so please do yourself a favor and get more info and at the very least get it inspected!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and when they show up in my shop with stuff like rap music trips gfci receptacles and basically that entire post i am a little cautious.
I always thought Rap music would trip GFIs. Oh well. :)

Of course you can pay an electrician to dig that trench. Bit it would be much cheaper for you to dig it.
Have fun. :cool:

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - quick question. I'm getting ready for a new tank and needed a GFCI outlet, but the area behind my tank will have very limited room. I've seen a few posts on here on external GFCI that had a plug to plug into existing outlet. I think I purchased the right things - does it look like this "tool replacement" cord will work to wire into the GFCI?

Elect.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - quick question. I'm getting ready for a new tank and needed a GFCI outlet, but the area behind my tank will have very limited room. I've seen a few posts on here on external GFCI that had a plug to plug into existing outlet. I think I purchased the right things - does it look like this "tool replacement" cord will work to wire into the GFCI?

Elect.jpg
If you have a picture of the spot that could help, but whats the "tool replacement cord" for what it terminating to and what is it plugging into? I think you may want to look into wiremold with a box extension from your existing receptacle out past the aquarium where you put another receptacle box with that gfci in it make sure you get a deep box gfci is thicker than standard..heres a picture kinda of one online 1st pic.. and a deep ugly one at my house 2nd lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210319-200459_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210319-200459_Google.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 1616198767193447249418900228499.jpg
    1616198767193447249418900228499.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 38

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a picture of the spot that could help, but whats the "tool replacement cord" for what it terminating to and what is it plugging into? I think you may want to look into wiremold with a box extension from your existing receptacle out past the aquarium where you put another receptacle box with that gfci in it make sure you get a deep box gfci is thicker than standard..heres a picture kinda of one online 1st pic.. and a deep ugly one at my house 2nd lol

I tried to follow a post Brew12 made awhile back where it looks like he did something similar. Basically, I want to plug this into my existing non-GFCI outlet and then plug my aquarium perpetuals into the GFCI. The outlet in my wall will be right behind my tank stand, and I'd like additional room to reset or replace the GFCIs if needed.

So cords coming out of the bottom have 3 prong plugs that would plug into my existing outlet (seems to work as I'm testing right now). The "tool replacement cord" is a 3 prong at one end and the 3 wires at the other end, which I wired into each GFCI, 14 gauge wire.

IMG_7549.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to follow a post Brew12 made awhile back where it looks like he did something similar. Basically, I want to plug this into my existing non-GFCI outlet and then plug my aquarium perpetuals into the GFCI. The outlet in my wall will be right behind my tank stand, and I'd like additional room to reset or replace the GFCIs if needed.

So cords coming out of the bottom have 3 prong plugs that would plug into my existing outlet (seems to work as I'm testing right now). The "tool replacement cord" is a 3 prong at one end and the 3 wires at the other end, which I wired into each GFCI, 14 gauge wire.

IMG_7549.jpg
Yeah I dont see a problem with that it looks like you just made a really fancy extension cord you have not modified your receptacle in your house so no issues there, and now your gfci protected with that black box right, if im correct, I like it good job thats better than messing with wiremold and modifying your existing receptacle. I like that idea just dont forget a drip loop or something to your existing receptacle

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some 200' extension cords, is that bad? Maybe thats why my tools go so slow. :confused:
Was that why Flight of the Bumblebee sounded more like Clare de Lune?

I was thinking about the issue with rap music tripping GFCIs. I've never experienced it (but then I don't listen to rap...) but I wonder if the heavy base beat running through a big speaker would essentially cause enough of a phase shift to make the GFCI see a current mismatch and trip?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7549.jpg
That should work just fine. (assuming you have it wired properly!)

You can also buy ready made extensions like this. I think your home made one actually looks a bit better, though!

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I safely plug my two Apex energy bars into one of these or am I asking for trouble?

gfci.jpg

Also considering a UPS for my system but research tells me this is probably best done in combination with a GFCI breaker rather than outlet?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I safely plug my two Apex energy bars into one of these or am I asking for trouble?

gfci.jpg

Also considering a UPS for my system but research tells me this is probably best done in combination with a GFCI breaker rather than outlet?
Probably - it's 15A max, so as long as you're not pulling more than 15 amps between your two outlets you should be fine. are you using it for the length or the GFCI protection? If you need the GFCI protection you might consider a separate GFCI plug for each energy bar. That way if one of them trips the other will stay on.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably - it's 15A max, so as long as you're not pulling more than 15 amps between your two outlets you should be fine. are you using it for the length or the GFCI protection? If you need the GFCI protection you might consider a separate GFCI plug for each energy bar. That way if one of them trips the other will stay on.

Using it for the GFCI protection so that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the reply!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using it for the GFCI protection so that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the reply!
would one of these work?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would one of these work?

Those all look like they would all fit my situation and seem like a better solution than the power strip.

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you calm my neurosis? I am building a custom stand. I am hesitant of putting all my equipment for my AIO under the tank. I see people building cabinets and doing this. They feel safe that it wont cause an electrical problem. Is it really safe to do this?
I see people building cabinets and putting to the side, but Im not sure Ill have enough room to do that. Any pointers where I can sleep at night knowing its ok?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you calm my neurosis? I am building a custom stand. I am hesitant of putting all my equipment for my AIO under the tank. I see people building cabinets and doing this. They feel safe that it wont cause an electrical problem. Is it really safe to do this?
I see people building cabinets and putting to the side, but Im not sure Ill have enough room to do that. Any pointers where I can sleep at night knowing its ok?
What "electrical problems" are you worried about

There's electric run and used in and all around water, when done correctly there is no problem.

What is your concern, having a power strip under your stand? Or something else? Please elaborate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back