Your Thoughts on Coral Feeding?

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take dosing the Koralcolor for results? Also does it add to nutrients in your system? I am thinking about starting to dose it? And lastly, lol, does it make your skimmer go cray?
I have been using for maybe two months now? I can't say exactly when I started seeing a difference to be honest. And no, it has not made my skimmer go crazy. I usually only have to empty once a week. I don't have a real heavy bioload right now though either.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the SPS section, so I am going to limit my responses to just acropora. Feeding does nothing, but it also does not seem to hurt unless you already have high residual levels of N and P. Each new food bring hope and optimism over products of the past that have become punchlines of the current reefers, but none of them seem to offer any tangible benefit in our tanks. All that Reef Roids (3 containers of it that I won in a local club auction) did was to raise my P where I had to export more of it. Acro power did nothing either. The friends that I have that grow coral the fastest and with the best color do not feed anything. These are all anecdotes, but they are as helpful as some studies of creatures in/near the ocean - my tank has filters nor I do not have access to vast varieties of live ocean zoo plankton.

The acropora can catch and consume non-matting cyanobacteria that are waterborne - they can keep nearly all of the energy in the bacteria. They catch and assimilate through their slime coat and not the polyps. The issue is that these bacteria need a lot of surface area to multiply and our filter systems keep their numbers low. Another issue is the low surface area or most acropora to be able to catch these bacteria - especially frags. Carbon dosing, ammonia and some types of amino acids can get these numbers up, but the carbon dosing and aminos have other unintended consequences, so dosing these is not for those who do not understand everything involved. This is real science and also works in tanks - a good blend of academia and real-world. Even in the ocean, this is how most acropora get any supplemental "food."

Lighting is still provides the vast majority of energy to the corals, yet I am amazed how so many stray so far away from nature, full spectrum and high intensity with edge-case reasoning, false-equivalent "studies" and just message board parroting. If people spent as much time trying to get a good spectrum and output as they did worrying about putting supplements in their tanks, nearly all would be a lot better off. This is overly simplistic, but all of the people who you see adding T5s and getting much better results have done just that, even if they did not think of it as a "food/energy" thing in this context.

Ammonia/Ammonium dosing with high quality/quantity lighting is likely the best thing that people can do if you mush supplement something. You can get the nh[3,4] from just feeding fish more.

There have been studies done with acropora and it dispells your first statement of "Feeding does nothing"

Can you provide your sources on this ? or is this just your "hunch"?

No offense, but again, a few months ago you couldn't distinguish axial corallites from radial corallites on acropora?

Why do you believe to be "all knowing" on whats ideal for these animals in captivity?
credentials?
again, sources?

While I am certainly not "all knowing" and learn new stuff all the time.
I do spend 40 hours a week on the culture and propagation of acropora on a commercial level.
Sure, I could say that I see a very noticeable difference feeding acropora makes, however there maybe variables, placebo or bias in my experience. which is why when debating this topic I refer controlled studies done on the subject

If you are going to post information in a "matter of fact" type of way, you should be able to provide sources to back it up, otherwise, more than likely you aren't talking out of your mouth, per say.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back