Your thoughts on custom tank manufacturers?

Who are your top 3 Custom Tank Manufacturers???

• Total voters
OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay.
So a suggestion. Let's say 1st choice has to be one you purchased.
2nd and 3rd are next time 1st and 2nd option

For those who never purchased custom tank. Let's make a 0

So their 1st is 0
2nd and 3rd is their 2 choice for future tank.

What you say
Poll will help us see who has purchased a tank , future customers 1sr and 2nd choice.
Can we have columns
Because then we can see output.

Or do three polls
Call them 1st 2nd 3rd
Let them vote how I said
We don't need columns

This way we don't see a lot of info
Three polls will give us

1st poll
Who purchased from whom
Who sold most tanks

2nd poll
Is you customer returning, Unhappy customer
Future customers 1st choice

3rd poll
Future customers 2nd choice
Custom tank owners 2nd choice

These are all excellent ideas, However the current limitations on threads eliminate these as being viable options. You are only allowed one Poll in a thread with one column in that poll.

Another draw back is there is no way to police or regulate the polling. Anyone can click any manufacturer they choose for whatever reason they feel like. I can not go through and see who has voted for what and then remove there vote if it doesn't meet the criteria for voting. Say I ask for people to only vote for the manufacturer they choose to do there build. I can't go through and see who voted for what and then ask them to prove they actually own said tank, then delete there poll if they don't. This poll relies soley on taking people for their word with no verification process. This is why I choose a broader question for the poll instead of specific ones.

Take myself for instance, My top 3, in no particular order were Miracles Aquariums, Reef Savvy and TankMeUSA. These were the three I was considering for my build based off of the opinions of those I trust. I had no personal experience with them, but with all the research I had done and after talking to numerous other builders, those were the 3 I had arrived at who I felt most comfortable providing me with the tank of my dreams. And also, the top three I would recommend others look in to if they were searching for someone to build there dream tank. I ended up going with Miracles, but I do feel the other two would have provided an excellent product as well.

Should I discount my vote because I never actually purchased a tank through them? I don't think so. I think the runners up in my quest deserve to be atleast mentioned somehow as while they weren't the best fit for me, they were still top of my list and might be a great fit for someone else.

I could edit the poll to only allow one choice. That way every person can only vote once. But that still doesn't prevent someone from voting who never actually ordered a tank but is just voting for who they feel is the best. Again, no way to police this.

This thread was just to get people started on the right foot, give them a starter list to begin there journey in finding the right tank for them. I have welcomed all reviews, from both sides, those that have had great experiences and those who have not. It's important to remember that there is no perfect builder, they all make mistakes so you will always find good and bad reviews. I was hoping this thread could be a place where people could share there experiences in one place to make it easier for others to see. I hope that despite the severe limitations of these polls, I have somewhat achieved that goal. (It doesn't help that I took a year hiatus from R2R so this thread and poll hasn't been looked after much).

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Josh
I never asked to monitor the response. If someone wants to lie they can. I am pretty sure some will.
I understand the rest.
Actually I didn't know we couldn't do three polls.
We good. It was a suggestion.
Do the same poll
I still want to see who people choose

Josh is there a build thread for Miracles anywhere. I want to see their build quality.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would also like some info about the quality of glass.
Glass even low iron Starphire varies widely among custom tank makers. I have personally seen some Starphire that wasn't that impressive

So far Felix, Elos and Tankme glass looks amazing.
If someone in industry can shine light on different grades of low iron etc that would be nice.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh
I never asked to monitor the response. If someone wants to lie they can. I am pretty sure some will.
I understand the rest.
Actually I didn't know we couldn't do three polls.
We good. It was a suggestion.
Do the same poll
I still want to see who people choose

Josh is there a build thread for Miracles anywhere. I want to see their build quality.

I hope that my post didn't come off as negative towards you in any way, that was not my intentions whatsoever. I was merely pointing out the difficulties involved in doing so, I do really appreciate the suggestion and really wish I could do more as it would be nice to get a much better pulse on the custom builder world and who is happy with what. Especially since it seems more and more are looking to go the custom route. Some would rather click a poll than write a detailed review in a thread unfortunately which makes things even more difficult.

My build thread probably isn't the best but I do have a review of my Miracles tank in this thread. There are a few other build threads I know of that are Miracles tanks and I will try and track them down for you.

I also just realized that atleast I can see who has voted for what. That's right @Joe Glass Cages I see you voting for your company ;Watching:p among others who did the same lol. I guess something else to consider looking at the polls as well.

Glass even low iron Starphire varies widely among custom tank makers. I have personally seen some Starphire that wasn't that impressive

If someone in industry can shine light on different grades of low iron etc that would be nice.

I was very happy with Miracles glass as well, I know they use North American made glass, PPG I believe, however I also believe PPG sold there glass line to Vitro (I think that's the spelling). Been a while since I have looked into the glass scene so I might dig into that as well. It's safe to say most higher end tank builders in North America use similar low iron glass. ELO's uses an ultra pure glass they claim is even clearer and more durable than Starfire you find with most other manufacturers and I believe this is reflected in there absurd prices that rival even Felix.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was merely pointing out the difficulties involved in doing so, I do really appreciate the suggestion and really wish I could do more as it would be nice to get a much better pulse on the custom builder world and who is happy with what. Especially since it seems more and more are looking to go the custom route. Some would rather click a poll than write a detailed review in a thread unfortunately which makes things even more difficult.

My build thread probably isn't the best but I do have a review of my Miracles tank in this thread. There are a few other build threads I know of that are Miracles tanks and I will try and track them down for you.

I also just realized that atleast I can see who has voted for what. That's right @Joe Glass Cages I see you voting for your company ;Watching:p among others who did the same lol. I guess something else to consider looking at the polls as well.

I was very happy with Miracles glass as well, I know they use North American made glass, PPG I believe, however I also believe PPG sold there glass line to Vitro (I think that's the spelling). Been a while since I have looked into the glass scene so I might dig into that as well. It's safe to say most higher end tank builders in North America use similar low iron glass. ELO's uses an ultra pure glass they claim is even clearer and more durable than Starfire you find with most other manufacturers and I believe this is reflected in there absurd prices that rival even Felix.
thanks so much for the mention @JoshH. Truly appreciated. And welcome back to R2R. really appreciate the way you serve this community. You are a great example of someone who has a strong desire to help and educate. Thank you!

Well..... I have used a Glass Cages tank and recommend them. I recommend others as well. Very important to find the right fit and only the buyer can make that decision.

I also encourage frequently that everyone check out all the builder options available. Options and competition is best for the consumer. Its also best for the companies if they humbly listen.

Below is a list of many Aquarium manufactures. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aquarium Marketing
35. FIJI Cube

its great that there are so many options!

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No Josh we good
I understand how much effort it takes for a poll. So I am still learning.
No worries
I was just trying to use data everyone posted.
We good.
This Tank is Joe's

But I care more about Glass than silicone work etc.
I want that Elos Glass lol

Felix does use imported European Diamond Glass.
Very close to Elos

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would also be beneficial to have a thread as to who makes great stands. I am not handy by a long shot and would love to know who everyone sources for stands if not made by the tank manufacturer

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks so much for the mention @JoshH. Truly appreciated. And welcome back to R2R. really appreciate the way you serve this community. You are a great example of someone who has a strong desire to help and educate. Thank you!

Well..... I have used a Glass Cages tank and recommend them. I recommend others as well. Very important to find the right fit and only the buyer can make that decision.

I also encourage frequently that everyone check out all the builder options available. Options and competition is best for the consumer. Its also best for the companies if they humbly listen.

Below is a list of many Aquarium manufactures. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aquarium Marketing
35. FIJI Cube

its great that there are so many options!

Thanks Joe for the updated list. I know that some of those manufacturers still don't offer custom options which is why they aren't on my list. However there are a few who do so I will add them to my poll and hopefully there are some who can add to the reviews of these newer builders.

Felix does use imported European Diamond Glass.
Very close to Elos

This must be a newer addition, good to know! More than likely a part of the reason his build times are so long. Last I heard he didn't cut glass in his own shop either and it was all custom ordered from the manufacturer. However that isn't first hand knowledge as I have never spoken to him personally. It did come from someone who has ordered from him though.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

great question @ssdawood. @JoshH also replied with some great information too.

ingesting question.

the glass is as good as it is manufactured.

trademarked glass such as below are held to standards for production and lot to lot quality performance and continuity
Diamant Glass by Saint-Gobain
Ultra Clear Low-Iron by Guardian Glass
Starphire Low-Iron by Vitro

Here is where it gets tough. general low-iron that is not trademarked or standardized and varies from factory to factory. then there are all the factories off shore that are making knock off Diamant, Ultra-Clear and Starphire glass. They make false claims. this is so tough on the manufacturing industry.

The one sure way for a builder to ensure glass quality is to purchase directly from the source glass supply company they desire to use. Like one of three mentioned about. That is the only way to protect the integrity of the glass used.

Glass Cages has factory direct relationship with Vitro Glass.

Hope that makes since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So as promised, just a start of the few I know of here....

A more pitcure oriented thread from the SawC

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would also be beneficial to have a thread as to who makes great stands. I am not handy by a long shot and would love to know who everyone sources for stands if jot made by the tank manufacturer

That is a really great idea. Most custom tank manufacturers offer stands to varying degrees, mostly Steel stands. However some like SCA offer wooden/wooden look stands as well. The only wood stand builder I know of is Chris Brenner (Well known for his work with BRS). Certainly not the only option out there I am sure.

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume Felix is reefsavy? In about 6-8 months I will be ordering several aquarium with the two largest being 8ft and 10ft long. Here is my limited feedback based on three places I obtain quotes:
custom-aquarium offers complete solutions and was the least expensive (price is not exclusive decision maker); and is willing to do the minor custom adjustment i want with almost no mark up (add braces for swisstropical matten filters, adjust lid configuration - that sort of thing).
glasscages - no complete solution - their price is about the same as custom aquarium minus the sump.
reefsavey - they are willing to work without including delivery on large orders such as the one i am considering but their price was approx 2x-4x (minus the additional for delivery). For a single tank 3x is manageable but for the entire order we were looking at quite a substantial amount of $$$. This price point also did not include plumbing and sumps so it is really quite expensive alternative. I estimated their total price was nearly $100,000 more than the next highest competitor (that i obtain a quote) to put a number on the cost difference. Don't get me wrong Felix is willing to work with you and was great to chat with but the price difference was a bit troubling.
-
As for overall quality i can't comment. Reefsavy has a reputation but beyond that i've seen very little negative posts in this thread (people who have specific issues with a vendor or tank failures); as well as people who have purchased from multiple vendors and can compare the products (for some like glasscages who have new management this would be more difficult unless the product were recently purchased - i.e, comparing a glasscage tank from old management is no longer relevant to the current product).
-
I would actually prefer something in the voting that allow people to call out vendor who sold faulty aquariums. Obviously there will always be one off oops but seeing a consistent pattern of slop or failures would be helpful; i.e, with so many vendors I want to know which vendors to avoid.

Last edited:

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really great idea. Most custom tank manufacturers offer stands to varying degrees, mostly Steel stands. However some like SCA offer wooden/wooden look stands as well. The only wood stand builder I know of is Chris Brenner (Well known for his work with BRS). Certainly not the only option out there I am sure.
glasscages sell wood stands and several vendors like customaquarium and reefsavy will offer furniture grade wood wood frames over steel stands.

Steve27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 85g custom from Miracles. Derek was very good and easy to work with. Very pleased with the end product. Wanted to go with Reef Savvy but they took forever to respond to emails and never answered the phone. Also much more expensive than Miracles and not sure they are worth the extra dough and wait time in the long run.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would also be beneficial to have a thread as to who makes great stands. I am not handy by a long shot and would love to know who everyone sources for stands if not made by the tank manufacturer
So, start one :)

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 400 gallon tank from glass cages. 96x36x27. There’s a build thread on here as well. In terms of build quality I couldn’t be happier with glass cages. Ive had more than 3 custom tanks and I’m blessed to have played professional sports so I really wasn’t chained to a set budget but bang for your buck you’d be hard pressed to find a better tank and hands down the best customer experience I’ve had in any tank purchase.

Joe walked me through the design and laid out exactly what I was thinking in my head. I went with a standard bracing top as I’m more of a fish than coral guy (this tank will house a pair of bluespot stingrays as it’s centerpiece). the tank is peninsula like only the front and one side are viewable so they are low iron. I also added holes for a closed loop.

The tank was on schedule delivered to a local terminal due to it being over 84” packing on the tank was great and now it’s just sitting in my garage waiting for the snow to melt so I can get it in through my sliders.

joe and glass cages will be building my tanks from here on and we’ll be adding a BIG one in the spring or summer for our new CDJR store.

9E2884CD-589A-4E3A-84E1-4FB4A373AE67.jpeg
BD497306-3A3E-45E7-AE5C-0614CB5B566C.jpeg
ABAB5DF4-A5DE-41BB-A2B9-331BCFC7649F.jpeg
9155118B-A191-47A7-BD4C-BFFDAABFF167.jpeg
301CBD18-4004-412A-9AEB-8DD4A8F0E23F.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference has always been custom aquariums but I really like seeing other people's experiences.

Any manufacturer that provides custom options is ok in my book.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back