Your thoughts on custom tank manufacturers?

Ecotech Marine

Who are your top 3 Custom Tank Manufacturers???

• Total voters

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, the last time I tried getting a quote from Reef Savvy it was over a month before I heard anything back. Unfortunately they are just too busy to provide the customer experience that most would prefer when doing a transaction as large as this...
yeah if im spending a couple grand i need at least a robo email : thank you for reaching out we will email you within 24-48hrs..............

jake37

View Badges
Reaction score
I joined this forum mostly because of this thread. I'd like to get a pair of 400+ gallon tanks (one is 12x3x2 the other 8x4x21 - l,w,h). I'm a bit concern because it seems all the vendors have issues - I've been leaning towards custom aquarium but my understanding from this thread is they don't polish the end of the glass - which is important because i spend a lot of time looking through the side which faces my desk. On the other hand glasscages doens't build system they build tanks. I wish there was a perfect builder. fyi: i'm a freshwater person and i do realize this is a forum that focus on salt-water and most of the community buying large custom tanks are oriented torwards salt water but not sure that is relevant to actually buying a tank.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, save yourself a headache and use someone other than Custom Aquariums. Lots of better options for glass tanks. I'm pretty sure they polish their edges, except when they don't LOL, and make excuses for not having done so. You might check to see what manufacturers are closest to you, which can cut down on shipping charges and handling risks. I think probably every manufacturer can have issues - anyone can make mistakes - but it is how a company deals with those mistakes that is the real indicator of their integrity. If you like custom aquariums because they build whole "systems" - I assume you mean because they also have sumps? Their seamless sump system is pretty bad and not one I would consider - you can't see into them, which in my opinion means you likely won't clean it as often, and you can't see if something is going wrong at a glance. There are tons of acrylic sump options, or your tank manufacturer I imagine would also make you a glass sump? If you are looking for high-end bespoke filtration systems right out of the box, look at My Reef Creations. Bashsea also does custom filtration I think too. I just got my 5 tanks for my dream system from AGE in Texas, and they are beautiful...

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I joined this forum mostly because of this thread. I'd like to get a pair of 400+ gallon tanks (one is 12x3x2 the other 8x4x21 - l,w,h). I'm a bit concern because it seems all the vendors have issues - I've been leaning towards custom aquarium but my understanding from this thread is they don't polish the end of the glass - which is important because i spend a lot of time looking through the side which faces my desk. On the other hand glasscages doens't build system they build tanks. I wish there was a perfect builder. fyi: i'm a freshwater person and i do realize this is a forum that focus on salt-water and most of the community buying large custom tanks are oriented torwards salt water but not sure that is relevant to actually buying a tank.
Hi @jake37 you have so many options. Thanks for the consideration. We do build tanks for sure as well as custom and standard sumps. Glass and acrylic sumps. We don't supply the plumbing. not sure if that is what you desire. you have a ton of options. enjoy the process. Thanks again.

Erin1971Texas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone worked with Superior Aquariums out of the Dallas area? The owner used to work for Oceanic (no, I’m not talking about Planet, which also has some former Oceanic peeps).

How important is sand sifting or sand stirring livestock to your reef tank?

• Very important

Votes: 237 45.8%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 161 31.1%
  • Not important

Votes: 65 12.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.4%
WWC