Yuma ricordea dying

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yuma is not looking good and I don’t know what to do about it. In the pic, you can see it lost all its orange color. I have read that they like the water a little dirtier and that may be the problem but I don’t want to mess with the water since it could impact the other corals. Also, since the Yuma is in a coral QT I have not been feeding it. There is another Yuma on the same rock in the picture and it is doing good. It has grown significantly. My LFS rep said to try moving it up to more light and I did this today. Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve

FCE409D3-3BE8-4EF1-873A-9F480B160BC6.jpeg

1CCDD24E-8A2D-4BA1-86FF-2B8AA1856778.jpeg

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bleached to me, prob needs less light. Regardless once they bleach lower light is the best bet.

One of the first corals I bought was a bleached yuma. I thought the light purple blue color was cool and didn’t know at that point what bleached corals looked like. It survived in that bleached state for about 6 months and never recovered. It actually finally died when I introduced a newer batch of Yuma’s that had a disease and melted away. The disease spread to just the other bleached Yuma.

Personally I now stay away from them. 2 of the lfs by me get them in every now and then. They always look great and then slowly loose color and melt the longer they have them. I know many people have them without issue but I have seen Too many issues.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks John, that makes sense since the Yuma that’s getting less light is doing well. Will try moving them down to the bottom.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a few unbelievably gorgeous yumas for no clearly identifiable reason although probably too much light and/or flow. They can be hard to keep happy. I have also noticed a distinct difference in average survival between different sources.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^this. On the upshot the mouth isn't gaping and it looks like you still have some brown in there. Move it to the lower light and it should color back up for you but it'll take some time.

Harrison Gordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my Ric's are not doing so well. Had them for about a month, and then one day about three of them closed up and then appeared to ooze some white mucous. You can see this at center of image and slightly to the bottom right of that one.
What is this?
I added GFO to my reactor around the same time this happened , if I turn of the reactor could they recover or are they dead?

9252815B-B233-4DA1-A29F-53AD82203D08.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back