Ywg and clownfish disease

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I am new to the hobby and started my Red Sea Reefer 350 last month. It is up and running for about 2 and a half weeks now and my YWG now has a red spot and it’s tail is starting to turn white. My true perc clownfish’ dorsal fun is getting worse and worse every day. I’ve had my goby for about 8 days now and my clownfish for only 3 days. What should I do?! I have a qt that I could set up but I have no clue where or how to start treating my fish. All my other critters are doing just fine: I have 10 hermit crabs, 8 nassarius/trochus snails, an algae blenny, tiger pistol shrimp and a true perc clown pair. These two are really starting to worry me, don’t want my first few tank inhabitants to die!
Attached are some photos of my before and after for my goby as well as some very current photos of my clownfish.

C2E38794-A0BB-4CE0-B6DD-7B382C3CE1A4.jpeg

60D519E0-3D00-4C9E-AF1C-98504A65722D.jpeg

5A190262-0DE5-4D7D-A5BC-25D4CF36095E.jpeg

DA3648FE-0628-4870-8DAD-703E546D0E51.jpeg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for signing up. We'll leave this here so you can be properly welcomed, but you may want to pose the question over in the disease forum.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! :)

Sorry you are having trouble with your fish. Are you certain your tank had properly cycled? A couple weeks is probably not long enough for the tank to be ready for fish.

Did you do any type of QT for your fish?

It almost looks like bacterial issues. Which if the tank isn't cycled that creates problems for the fish with things like ammonia can weaken the fish immune system allowing otherwise normal bacteria that doesn't cause issues to take over.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!:)

Patients is the key to reef keeping;) They system is still in the beginnings of cycling and the fish are stressed.

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! :)

Sorry you are having trouble with your fish. Are you certain your tank had properly cycled? A couple weeks is probably not long enough for the tank to be ready for fish.

Did you do any type of QT for your fish?

It almost looks like bacterial issues. Which if the tank isn't cycled that creates problems for the fish with things like ammonia can weaken the fish immune system allowing otherwise normal bacteria that doesn't cause issues to take over.
The YWG and shrimp were at one of my lfs for 4 months and no issues so I assumed they were fine. As for the clown fish I believe that is my own undoing. I bought them as soon as my lfs brought them in to their tank, I might have stressed them out way too much. The other larger perc doesn’t eat anything I give it.
My tank did cycle though, I had my lfs check my water before purchasing anything and I’ve had hermit crabs in there for over two weeks and I hear they’re the most sensitive to keep in a Reef tank.
I don’t have a QT set up but I have the means to make one.

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!:)

Patients is the key to reef keeping;) They system is still in the beginnings of cycling and the fish are stressed.
Yeah, I suppose I could return them to my lfs and see if they will even take it back ‍♂️ Probably not because of the condition they’re in ughh I feel terrible for doing this to my fish.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Alex!
If I were a betting man, I'd say that the tank did not actually fully cycle or the process was not carried out properly hence the false water parameter tests. A tank generally needs a much longer time to cycle than a couple of weeks. There is definitely a process & it does take time. I let everything cycle for 4 months with my setup. You do need to set up a hospital tank and treat your critters, soon, and then I would suggest a little more research on cycling. I'm certain that you will get more targeted responses in the fish disease section.
You will get this licked. Patience and perseverance are the keys to success.
Share and like often.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Struggling to keep fish healthy is definitely unpleasant - I think all of us understand and agree with that. This is exactly why a community like R2R is so important. Take care of the fish the best that you can and then use this situation to motivate you to become an expert in water quality and the quarantine process. We're cheering for you and for your fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back