OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what are the dimensions on the tank? I have an 80 gallon 48x24x16 and I am debating on stocking levels. Would like to compare to what you have. I was looking at similar lights for mine so good to hear they are working out for you.

the tank is 48x24x18, the lights are working out amazing and have had some great growth. I'm still debating the floating canopy and adding two t5s most to balance out some coloration. (this can be done by dimming the blues and colors/whites seperately but i feel like i get better results from it on full power)

Last edited:

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 1/2 glass, looks like yours is too. So i am actually just slightly under 80 gallons and your are a little over. My current stock is

pair of maroon clowns
melanarus wrasse
fiji blue devil damsel
Pygmy cherub angel

And I am also running a 20 gallon simple baffle type sump with 400gph return and 250gph skimmer. 350 gph HOB and 1250 gph powerhead for flow. 95# of live rock and DSB for the wrasse. So looks like I could up my stocking a little. I might also try to mount the lights in a canopy but I am a little concerned about heat dissapation versus just hanging them in the open. Do your lights have fans?

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they have small fans built into the unit. They are very similar to reefbreeders budget fixtures. But even after running them 12 hrs straight there is not much heat coming out.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my old clam. Sadly it withered away when my old light fixture fell in the water and it went a while without proper lighting.

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Not my clowns was just baby sitting.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0158.jpg

yes those 3 whale sharks, quite an amazing sight.

IMG_0374.jpg

sea world orlandos reef tank, quite an amazing tank. If i remember correctly this where the tyee/wwc grafted cap comes from

IMG_0367.jpg

anyone know what the coral is on the right? also from seaworld

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more sea world pictures

P1000809.jpg

P1000806.jpg

P1000740.jpg

P1000726.jpg

P1000617.jpg

ID on this one as well?

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updates on the tank
IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

the pociliopora above the chalice in this picture is starting to bleach/lose tissue any ideas. is there a chance the chalice stung it?

IMG_0589.jpg

here is what it looked like before

IMG_0591-1.jpg

Cant seem to get a lot of feedback on my tank :( (feel like my threads always a ghosttown)

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zab34's 80 gallon shallow (updated)

please delete this post. (not sure how)

BuzzWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Have you tried Aiptasia-X? That stuff works great. I have the same LED's, they seem to be working well. Did you get them at Ocean Direct? How many watts are your's?

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 watts each full spectrum (not just white and blues) and I ordered them online. the lfs i usually shop at (serenity saltwater livestock) has recently switched all of theirs to these as well, as well as selling them. Personally i love them. but have been thinking about adding some t5s to the tank. i feel like my yellows and my leathers seem washed out under the leds.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome!

I'm looking from my phone and its hard to see the pics but I'll try to answer some questions.

Your chalice is definitely killing the pocci, I'd move it ASAP.

ID on the chalice looks like a suprman but hard to tell.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my old clam. Sadly it withered away when my old light fixture fell in the water and it went a while without proper lighting.

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Not my clowns was just baby sitting.

Nice clam, it is surrounded by huge pyramid snails. They are what killed it.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome!

I'm looking from my phone and its hard to see the pics but I'll try to answer some questions.

Your chalice is definitely killing the pocci, I'd move it ASAP.

ID on the chalice looks like a suprman but hard to tell.

Appreciate the comments. I dont maintain my tank at the moment(at college) but my mother does what she can. I guess when the pocci fell from the rock she just tucked it there and didnt know better but it has since be moved. Ill be home in week and will update with some better pictures until then everyone gets to see what i do through the weekly updates from my madre. haha. I plan on fragging and trading in a bunch of stuff over the holiday so hopefully will have even more diversity before months end.

Any ideas for the refugium or powerheads? Or how i should plumb the mag 7 (as opposed to the mag 2 i have now)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looks good bro!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id leave the plates, they'll pop off on their own when ready. The peppermints are very reclusive and can actually be harmful. They will pester fish and other inverts.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great, especially considering that it is being cared for by your mom. I can't wait to see an up to date FTS.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill look over the whole thread again tomorrow from my home comp and giveore input, at a Christmas party now and posting from my phone which is hard to do for me......

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id leave the plates, they'll pop off on their own when ready. The peppermints are very reclusive and can actually be harmful. They will pester fish and other inverts.

I know i took a risk with the peppermints but i thought it was better to ask my rents to throw ten in the tank than to ask her to syringe every single one she sees all the time, at least it is maintaining the aptasia invasion without in effort on their part.

Also on the pyramid snails your not talking about the giant snails are you... i assumed they are ceriths.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to do multiple qoutes in one post.
Your tank looks great, especially considering that it is being cared for by your mom. I can't wait to see an up to date FTS.

Thanks for the compliments. My mom does her best and she sends pictures every monday and asks what needs to be done on the tank. Shes been great with it so far. But before i left for school i purchased a controller to help out such as ato, heater control, etc. so that certainly gives peace of mind

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back