Zab34s 80 Gallon Shallow

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the tank! I can't believe you have dolphins in there :)

Chalice you're wondering about. Is it possible to get a better picture of it. I know your mom sends you the pictures on Monday's but if you can get her to take a close up shot of it in white lights maybe we could help more with the ID.

Just a guess what about bubble gum monster? Does that look like it?

Sent from tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0007430_chalice_22_250.jpeg
looks similar to this

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mummy eye?

Maybe a more seasoned chalice guy can weigh in...

Sent from tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was thinking as well after looking around.

Given my current tank set up what do you guys think the best approach to flow would be?

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you only have the mag 2 for flow at the moment?

I would upgrade that and add some power heads. I know you have a mag 7 which would be way better than the 2 but it may still be on the shy side of what you need. Maybe a mag 9.5-12.

For power heads maybe someone else can help there because I've not had anything other than an ecotech MP's for a while and wouldn't be able to give good up to date advice on anything else.

Years ago I had koralia pumps and they did a good job. I hear Tunze is another good brand.

From some of the pictures I almost get the impression the tank is bare bottom with a layer of detritus. Is this correct? If so you really need to up the water flow in there to keep the detritus suspended in the water column so your fuge can be more affective.

Anyways what is your current water movement equipment.

Sent from tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that tank is barebottom with all sorts of things growing on the bottom (detritus, coralline, cyano (in some spots, whole nother battle there) which is why i want to up the flow a bit in the tank. MPs are a bit out of my price range at the moment so looking at tunze or korallia. Need some advice on placement of them as well. Was thinking of going tunze 6045s or korallia 1400s. or one of each with korallia on a wavemaker (rkl). As for the mag. I only have a 1 inch drain drilled in the tank, and a 3/4 return. So not sure on my options there.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag 18 and a 1" drain can handle it. It also is going back through a 3/4" return. With that said I would not reccomend it unless you have backup drains. I have two other drains to handle anything the first one can't.

I would get at least two powerheads and maybe even three. Put one on each side and one in the back. If you did that and upped to your mag 7 it would really improve the tank :)

Sent from tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag 18 and a 1" drain can handle it. It also is going back through a 3/4" return. With that said I would not reccomend it unless you have backup drains. I have two other drains to handle anything the first one can't.

I would get at least two powerheads and maybe even three. Put one on each side and one in the back. If you did that and upped to your mag 7 it would really improve the tank :)

Sent from tapatalk

thanks for all the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have opinions on tunze 6045s? or has anyone modded a 6025? My new plan is to put the two current powerheads behind the rocks/ along the back and replace the two main one with tunzes.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had Tunzes. Loki hit the nail on the head with the pump suggestions.

How big was the clam? Those sure look like huge Pyramids to me.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not up on tunze either. Maybe a new thread on that in the equipment section would be a good place. Or do a search. Maybe someone has already started a thread about them. I see them quite often. :)

Sent from tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just got home from college to see the ole reef in person for the first time in about 4 months and it looks fantastic. Will try to get pics up tomorrow.

Problem number one: my dad wants the tank moved into the next room over. Any tips? or changes I should make while the tank is drained? thinking about painting the back black and the bottom white. building a hanging canopy. and installing a refugium and different ATO container. Any tips on those would be fab.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't update in a while and a lot has changed since then. the tank is now in a different room and is set up as a peninsula tank in our dining room. The leds I had needed to be repaired so went back to the t5s for now. Also replaced the mag2 with a mag7 return and that has mad a tremendous difference. Here's a couple of pics I have from a couple days ago. Also added a torch, octospawn (anyone have any info on these), some neon green birdnest, and some zoas. If anyone has a good ID on any of these would be great. Ill post pictures in the next post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0709_zps452e8efd.jpg

Can anyone ID the green sps between the cabbage leather and GSP.
IMG_0708_zps4499ea59.jpg

IMG_0706_zps1b509a16.jpg

IMG_0705_zps75a0bad7.jpg

Devils hand leather is about 14 inches across when full expandind and has dropped at least 20 frags since I've had it.
IMG_0707_zps1ab2d544.jpg

Brain coral, about the size of a human brain. weighs about 4 pounds.
IMG_0704_zps41f0b83d.jpg

Orange cap, Birdnest, lots of frogspawn, and a BTA that hasnt grown to much in the past six months.
IMG_0702_zpsd8a3651e.jpg

Giant orange yuma I believe, do you think itll cause a problem growing next to the zoas like this?
IMG_0699_zps022ca680.jpg

Duncam, torch, pociliopora (recovering from a fall on a chalice), torch, hammer, octospawn, and more leathers.
IMG_0697_zpsc324f280.jpg

shelf rock of zoas and palys not sure what to do with these guys yet.

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so now that it is set up as a peninsula the rock structure is center with the corals on both sides (3 sides viewable). What is the best way to handle flow since I don't want to stick powerheads on the side opposite the wall?

OP
OP
Z

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it that the only reply I get was on the half comment I made on accident? Haha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back