Zacks 65 gallon Corner Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Zack K, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I haven’t tested it in a while and last test it said 16. Which isn’t even close to right. I’m pretty sure I would see some precipitation if it was 16.

2. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

16dKH... yea that would cause all kinds of RTN. I'd make sure that wasn't a real number.

3. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I tested using the NYOS kit right now again, it took 19 drops to switch from blue to red. If 1 drop is 1DKh HOW DO I HAVE 19 ALK! And how does it go UP if I don’t dose or do water changes!

4. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Ummm, that would explain your corals... but not why it's that high. I've never heard of 19dKH.

Zack K likes this.
  5. Zack K

This is where I am thinking (and hoping) its a test error. By either me or the test. But it can’t go from 16 to 19 without dosing or a Water change.

6. Robin Haselden

Right, it would go down not up. I'd get a new test or run a sample up to your LFS and get them to check. Maybe do both?

Zack K likes this.
  7. Zack K

That is next on my plan of attack. And next test I will buy will we Triton

8. Zack K

I felt like growing and Update together today. The tank is looking great! I added a new rock.. yea I know big whoop... well this is a good rock. It has 4 “platforms” and come with coral! A small pack of Zoas, that appear to be something similar to scrambled eggs, a bright green shroom, and 1 possibly 2 godspawn shrooms, a sponge, a few other Misc Shrooms, and a lot of random colored Coraline. I talked the guy down because it was full of some nasty looking algae and everything was kinda closed up. $70. My CUC had the rock sparkling by the next morning.
    IMG_0588.jpg
    In other news I was down to 3 Skunk Clowns for the last week or so, well, I went to changeout the foam filter in my overflow and Vwalla, their was a Pink Skunk! Like dang it randy, get back in the tank! So I am back up to 4/5 Skunks. He is happy to be back in the anemone IMG_0591.jpg
    Something new that has seemed to grab my attention this week was my refugium out of all things. I have spent hours just laying watching everything down their. Found out my snails are breeding and have a lot of little pyramid snails down their, bristle worms are abundant, and speghetti worms thrive. Found the crab I forgot I threw down their and just how different of a world it is just 2 feet below the DT IMG_0584.jpg
    I was reading through some threads and thought with the few new changes and what not that has happened to my thread the FTS are lacking, so here is the first FTS of 2018! IMG_0587.jpg

-Zack,

9. motortrendz

motortrendz Active Member

did you ever get s real reasding of the alk?? and i thought i read that your nitrates were over 120? sps will never hold up with nitrates that high.. but the tank looks good

Zack K likes this.
  10. Zack K

Good Afternoon Mortortrendz! I like the motor trend app. Great shows.

My nitrates are well over 160ppm. But the tests don’t go any higher. I have had SPS last for 6 months with amazing coloration and growth was okay. I wasn’t going to dose Alk because of the odd reading. I don’t do WC anymore either. But the SPS went up in smoke overnight. That’s not a nitrate problem. That’s a “Big 3” problem. Seeing as my Magnesium read 1400 and Calcium read 550, Alkalinity was my problem. My test is reading 16-19 DKH. I’m positive that’s not right. Last time I checked, water with that much alkaline would make some precipitation or buildup of some sort. I am hoping to get a Triton test as soon as funds allow.

Katrina71 likes this.
  11. motortrendz

motortrendz Active Member

how bout a LFS to test alk.. and wow 160ppm ouch i get nervous when im above 16

Zack K likes this.
  12. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

The tank looks great.

JoshH and Zack K like this.
  13. Zack K

Thanks!

Going to stop by sometime this week. I will also send a triton test out later this month.

14. Zack K

So MARS Frag Swap was successful. Met a lot of great people! More pictures to come. Tang police please don’t arrest me. New build coming soon!
    IMG_0683.jpg

JoshH and Robin Haselden like this.
  15. Robin Haselden

Whoa whoa whoa there buddy, did you say tang? Turn around and put your hands behind your back.

LOL

So... whadidya get?

scotturban54 and Zack K like this.
  16. yungreefer2410

yungreefer2410 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

wouldn't you have like.. crazy algae with 160? I'm very curious what the triton test will say.

Zack K likes this.
  17. Zack K

I have no algae problem. As long as your tank has a good equilibrium and everything can fend for itself their shouldn’t be any problems.

-Zack

18. Robin Haselden

Haha, I have 5ppm NO3 and 0.08ppm PO4 and I have algae problems... that refugium is going to take over soon, I have a good feeling.

Zack K likes this.
  19. Zack K

So the long wait is over. I know I know I didn’t Qt. The fish was QT before given to me. (Copper, formalin, and shipping in Methalene blue. But he is a beauty. Ate a little frozen, and is grazing on some algae. Going to give him more time to settle in and start up live foods again. Black worms, clams, along with keeping the frozen (rods, LRS, BBS, and Mysis) and hopefully he stays healthy. I know I have both Ich and Velvet in the tank presently. So we shall see. IMG_0685.jpg
    He’s probably 2.5” long. So some room to grow, a new build is almost in the works tang police. You can go home now.
    Also picked up some nice Zoas. So let’s see how they respond. First corals I dipped in a long time. IMG_0687.jpg
    -Zack

WWIII and Robin Haselden like this.
  20. Robin Haselden

Nice PBT. Hope he stays healthy for ya.

Zack K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted