Zacks 65 gallon Corner Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Zack K, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Which I have been slowly seeing the Skunks Gail immunity... but.... their is an Acanthurus Tang in their. Unfortunately they will very rarely gain immunity. Forever a fighting battle.

2. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Mortality Update 2/8/17
    Powder Blue Tang
    1/4 Pink Skunks
    1/3 Chromis

Not eating/expected to make the night:
    2/3 Pink Skunks
    1/2 Chromis
    Showing Symptoms but has a chance:
    1 Skunk
    1 Chromis
    Canary Blenny
    Not showing Symptoms:
    Pair of Mandarins
    Clown Goby
    Diamond Goby
    Firefish
    Percula
    -Zack

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Your posts almost always bring a smile to my face. Not so much this one. :(

Are you treating the tank with anything, like H2O2 or Polyplab Medic?

Zack K likes this.
  4. Zack K

I am currently not. I am going to let Velvet Run its course. As much as it is saddening, I know that most of the fish that are left have either:
    A thick enough slime coat to be unaffected
    Have a strong enough immunity.

After this blows over and I see nobody showing Symptoms, depending on how many fish I have left, I will pull them and QT them while running the tank fishless for 70 some days. Or until I feel like it’s been long enough. So more like 6 months fishless.

I look at this situation as an opportunity as new growth. Sit down and say, what worked and what didn’t? What will I change for next time?
    And the most important, What’s next?

Well my next plan is to round up a few more small tanks. I will put together a system and buy fish in sets of 3. Particularly Butterflies. I am hoping for a reef with only nothing short of bonded pairs. Mating pairs will be a bonus and trios for some and 1 Harem of Clowns.

This plan will not only give me a beautiful show tank in the end. But it will give me more experience on how fish act around others in it’s species, other types of fish, and how to prevent “fish on the fence” fish from eating corals and/or inverts.

I also want to grasp the breeding and raising aspect of all of this.
    Pods
    Phyto
    Brine shrimp
    White worms
    These are the things I want to tackle first. Down the road would be:
    Black Worms
    Pink Skunk Clownfish
    Other fish Species.

So we shall see how this plan goes. Big changes are going to be happening in life as I will roll over the 18 mark in my life, as well as graduate from High school and the apprenticeship. Big changes in my SW advancements as well. I feel more “difficult to keep fish” are on my horizon.

-Zack, who wishes all well

Brew12 likes this.
  5. Brynn

Brynn Brynn rhymes with Gwynn R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

That's awesome.

Zack K likes this.
  6. Brynn

Brynn Brynn rhymes with Gwynn R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

These are some big well taken care of boys!!!

Zack K likes this.
  7. Zack K

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. It’s getting harder and harder to look at the Tank lately. My last remaining Skunk Clown will not live the night. My Percula and Clown Goby aren’t expected to make it through the weekend, as well as a Chromis that I thought would be gone awhile ago.
    The fish unaffected at the moment are
    Diamond goby
    Firefish
    2 Chromis
    1 Mandarin
    Something strange I noticed tonight. I saw a fair bit amount of white spots on my Female Mandarin tonight Which I thought was weird. It could have been because I fed late and she was starting to nestle down for the night, resulting in sand building up in her mucus layer. Or Velvet I getting her. Tough one to say right now.
    So far the Death list is as follows.
    Powder Blue Tang
    5 Pink Skunk Clownfish

The only weird case I have is my Canary blenny. I’m not sure if he is going to make the weekend or not. He is sugar coated but he is slowly not eating more and more. So we shall see.
    Like I said. It’s getting tough to be motivated around the tank at the moment. I have run out of Blackworms, run out of money to buy blackworms, run out of Rods, LRS, and Clams. All I’m feeding at the moment is Mysis with a little added vitamins. That’s it. My motivation is fading. Hopeing it come back soon.
    -Zack, signing off for now

8. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Crabs Mcjones and Zack K like this.
  9. Zack K

Unfortunately since the last update it’s been running on autopilot. I have not cleaned the glass in months, feed the fish maybe once a week, out of water 1/2 the time, just to the point of its time to let it go. Maybe as soon as life turns around later this year we can go bigger and better but February and beginning of March here have been rough.

Here are the sale links if your interested in anything.

Livestock:

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...om/index.php?threads/Getting-Out-Sale.368838/

Dry goods:

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...m/index.php?threads/Getting-out-Sale..368841/

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  10. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I'm sorry to hear zach. We've been there. I know we'll see you back bigger and better than ever.

Crabs Mcjones and Zack K like this.
  11. Zack K

Hope so. Need things to get better.

Crabs Mcjones and DSC reef like this.
  12. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm bummed for you Zack. I know how it feels when life hits those hard patches. Hope it turns around for you soon!

Crabs Mcjones, Zack K and DSC reef like this.
  13. Zack K

Wanted to give who is following an update. Decided to take it off the market. Nothing sold and had few discussions. It is what it is we will let it sit and keep doing its thing.

14. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Lets get you motivated again... how long has the tank been fallow?

Crabs Mcjones, DSC reef and Zack K like this.
  15. Zack K

It hasn’t. It still has a Small group of Chromis (3) a fire fish and a diamond goby. The clown goby may still be there too but I’m not sure. Just wish I had more time and effort to catch all the fish.

Tank is looking empty

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  16. Robin Haselden

Just a suggestion... maybe it's time for a rescape. Pull all the rocks and do it up all over again. Make it something new. You'll be able to catch your fish and treat them while the tank is fallow and when that's done you can start fresh and rejuvenated.

DSC reef, Brew12 and Zack K like this.
  17. Zack K

I think I might just do that. Just want to think about the new scape a little more maybe.

18. Brew12

I'm glad to hear this!

19. Zack K

@Brew12 you will be even more glad for this update then.

**UPDATE** Due to Turtle @Robin Haselden and @crabs_mcjones I completely tore the tank apart tonight. I retrieved all of the remaining fish and have them in a QT right now and also did a new rescape. We shall see how it turns out. As for the fallow clock. It starts now.
    Before IMG_1058.JPG
    After IMG_1059.JPG

20. Robin Haselden

Woooo! I'm more excited about this than new coral coming in and going to go get new a new wrasse or two this week... Nice work. Now, 6 weeks fallow and let's get those fish healthy!

Crabs Mcjones, Zack K and Brew12 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted