Zacks 65 gallon Corner Reef

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 you will be even more glad for this update then.

**UPDATE** Due to Turtle @Robin Haselden and @crabs_mcjones I completely tore the tank apart tonight. I retrieved all of the remaining fish and have them in a QT right now and also did a new rescape. We shall see how it turns out. As for the fallow clock. It starts now.
Before
IMG_1058.JPG

After
IMG_1059.JPG
This is awesome!

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great this morning. Glad I did what I did.
Close call last night with the fish in the QT. I forgot to plug the heater back in last night so it was a little chilly. Luckily everyone is okay. I will let them settle in a little longer before starting copper. The new aquascape is pretty cool

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great this morning. Glad I did what I did.
Close call last night with the fish in the QT. I forgot to plug the heater back in last night so it was a little chilly. Luckily everyone is okay. I will let them settle in a little longer before starting copper. The new aquascape is pretty cool
Are any of the fish showing any symptoms?

If not, I recommend waiting to treat with copper until the end of your fallow period. Around day 60 start ramping copper up through day 64. Keep it at therapeutic from day 65 until the end of day 76. Transfer them to the DT.

In my opinion this is the least stressful way on the fish, lowest risk of not getting results, and easiest on you. But again, if they are showing any signs you will want to treat earlier.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we are, almost to may and everyone is well, semi-their. All I have left is 2 Chromis, The Fire Fish and a Clown Goby. SO! With all that being said it’s time to start a new fish list and get it ordered so we can treat them all at once!
I am looking at so:
Singapore Angle
Carpenters Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Green Wrasse
Lubbocks wrasse
Flameback Angle
Diamond Goby
Red Headed Solon Wrasse
5ish Pink Skunk Clowns

Thoughts?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse concerns me... here is Hunter's(evolved) opinion on Labriodes

"About Labroides

I hesitate to even include this genus, as I reservations against even buying them, let alone keeping them or recommending them for a reef tank. These are the “cleaner” wrasses, as in the wild they remove dead scales/tissue from other reef fish, but primarily feed off of the slime coat of others. My reservations against buying/keeping this genus are due to the following reason: they usually cannot be sustained long term in a closed system as a diet of prepared foods does not offer them the range of nutrition they require. In a small system, they can also harasses other tank mates for cleanings to the point of problematic levels. There are some success stories about keeping a cleaner wrasse long term, but for each success there arehundreds of failures. You are probably better off skipping them. Category 1 in terms of reef-safeness, provided theyactually belong to the genus above. There are some wrasses sold as "cleaners" which are not as adults."

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was actually a great read. I totally agree with him. I was on the fence about him but always saw a benefit. I may wait until the upgrade to add one, when I have many more Tangs and Butterflies[emoji16]

So now we need a replacement [emoji848]

A tailspot sounds like a nice addition, but that may have conflict with the clown goby

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I just know how my Clown Goby is. Just kinda scares me. I think I am going to add a Matted Filefish to take car of my aptasia problem.... Oh yea, they started to spread after I redid the tank. And I will never own a peppermint shrimp again so.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I just know how my Clown Goby is. Just kinda scares me. I think I am going to add a Matted Filefish to take car of my aptasia problem.... Oh yea, they started to spread after I redid the tank. And I will never own a peppermint shrimp again so.
I was at a meeting of my local reef club yesterday. One of the members picked up a matted file fish 2 or 3 years ago. It didn't start eating the aptasia until after it finished eating all of her coral.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a meeting of my local reef club yesterday. One of the members picked up a matted file fish 2 or 3 years ago. It didn't start eating the aptasia until after it finished eating all of her coral.
Why eat broccoli when there is bacon right next to it?

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I’m just hoping and praying. Really don’t want to get peppermint shrimps.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the filefish off the list.....okay Live aquaria did, their out of stock. I also changed around the cardinal fish to 2 trios of red striped instead of 5 Red stop lights. I saw a few beautiful Wrasse but really didn’t want to spend 4 figures.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a little delayed as usual. Gave him time to settle in. He is the “Poor mans Conspicuous” the Singapore Angle. Very pretty fish! Purchased him from the LFS just because I know he was eating, and they weren’t joking. He is eating like a pig!
IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

2 more goodies coming tomorrow [emoji102] oops

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my LA order today. Unfortunately my Lubbocks didn’t make the shipment. Poor little fella. But the Yellowbanded Wrasse did. He is well and swimming and and now has a full tummy[emoji16] waiting to see that brilliant colors.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot woot this is super exciting! Sorry I haven't commented sooner, r2r didn't notify me that things were going on! I'm so happy for you buddy! :D:D:D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back