ZAP!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to do a water change and got shocked with I touched the return outlet head/tubing (I had had my arm in the tank to scrape algae and had no issues). Never had this problem before and now I am a little reluctant to put my hand in the tank to finish the water change. What do I do and how to I stop this from happen again?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a split wire or heater somewhere. You should have all electric equipment in your tank hooked to a gfci and a titanium grounding probe in the tank for safety.
Unplug and remove your equipment one by one and carefully check each on for raw areas or splits. If you can't see them, your next easiest step is to fill a bucket with salt water and use a meter to check the water for current. Whichever piece energizes the water is the one that you want to pitch.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I do not think the outlet is GCFI and sadly becuase its an apartment, I do not think I can install one. Would a grounding probe help even without the GCFI?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the apartment wont let you install one you can try a plug in type. Some through will trip at power loss and will need manually reset once power is on.

a2f8a0348587a533a9b2959b5a11c8d2.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ask maintenance if they could install one but I doubt they will. I went a head and ordered an adapter from amazon. What about a grounding probe, how should I go about using/installing on?
I got this. But use separate circuits for the tank, You want on for flow if the other one trips.(return on 1/PH's on2) our Ford4 life lost the tanks as all the power went out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UOU6OVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Haha that is actually the one I just ordered

So I have looked over everything I can and do not seen any obvious signs of damaged wires but I know that they are there, so I guess I will have to use a meter to look for the leaks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I thought had done an article or sticky thread on GFI and Ground probes. I cannot find it. hmmm;Drowning

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ask maintenance if they could install one but I doubt they will. I went a head and ordered an adapter from amazon. What about a grounding probe, how should I go about using/installing on?

Haha that is actually the one I just ordered

So I have looked over everything I can and do not seen any obvious signs of damaged wires but I know that they are there, so I guess I will have to use a meter to look for the leaks.
Unplug everything and plug one thing in at a time. Maybe more then one so dont just stop at the first one you find leaking voltage.

For grounding probes I don't use one. I haven't found anything definitive that says they are not harmful to any life in the tank. As far as I'm concerned there's a possibility.

But many like PaulB has used them for many years just fine.

So, do or don't is your choice. I have no beef in that argument.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and FWIW many of those yellow GFCI plug in types for shops will trip at power loss. Maybe not all. But many different kinds I've used do. Not good for a tank but is not a problem for tools and is a safer thing as you may forget the power saw is on and wouldn't want it starting up later with out you when power is restored.

The one I pictured above I know does not trip at power outages. At least the one I have does not. And will resume after the power comes back.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Shep I'm glad you are Ok!

The sticky on ground probes is here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/using-ground-probes-in-aquariums.270479/

If you haven't finished your water change yet, just turn off as much as possible and finish it.

I would also run GAC in your system if you don't have any in it right now. If you have stray voltage in your tank then you have toxins being released into your water. Odds are you have exposed copper that is carrying current which will cause it to leach into the water faster.

The GFCI unit you purchased is a great idea. I'm not sure I would wait for delivery. You can get something almost identical from either Lowes or Home Depot. With a ground probe installed (or other grounding device) you can plug your equipment into the GFCI one at a time. The failed unit will trip the GFCI.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Shep I'm glad you are Ok!

The sticky on ground probes is here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/using-ground-probes-in-aquariums.270479/

If you haven't finished your water change yet, just turn off as much as possible and finish it.

I would also run GAC in your system if you don't have any in it right now. If you have stray voltage in your tank then you have toxins being released into your water. Odds are you have exposed copper that is carrying current which will cause it to leach into the water faster.

The GFCI unit you purchased is a great idea. I'm not sure I would wait for delivery. You can get something almost identical from either Lowes or Home Depot. With a ground probe installed (or other grounding device) you can plug your equipment into the GFCI one at a time. The failed unit will trip the GFCI.
Besides a twitchy hand, I am A-OK! Unfortunately I wont have access to a car until tomorrow, so I did expedited shipping on the Amazon order and it will be here tomorrow morning. I am going to talk with maintenance about them installing a GFCI on the outlet that I use and see if they have a volt meter I could barrow for a bit

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides a twitchy hand, I am A-OK! Unfortunately I wont have access to a car until tomorrow, so I did expedited shipping on the Amazon order and it will be here tomorrow morning. I am going to talk with maintenance about them installing a GFCI on the outlet that I use and see if they have a volt meter I could barrow for a bit
Sounds like a plan. I would make a point of running GAC or Poly Filters in your system starting now and for a few days after you remove the failed piece of equipment.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a plan. I would make a point of running GAC or Poly Filters in your system starting now and for a few days after you remove the failed piece of equipment.
What kind of lights. T5s will do that to you. I hope its nothing serious or leaking.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking through your build thread to see if I could off suggestions and noticed you were having problems with your tank that started a few weeks ago. Have you stabilized your system yet? If not, the shock and your current issues could be connected.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking through your build thread to see if I could off suggestions and noticed you were having problems with your tank that started a few weeks ago. Have you stabilized your system yet? If not, the shock and your current issues could be connected.

To be honest, I think you're right. It would explain the sudden death of the corals when they have been so stable

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got the outlet adapter installed and tried every piece of equiment that is in the tank and nothing tripped it, I had it plugged into the surge protector/power strip just for testing purposes but did also plug the surge prot4ctor into the adapter and still nothing happened. Would that some how impact the GFCI adapter? Is there a way I can test the water for stray current?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got the outlet adapter installed and tried every piece of equiment that is in the tank and nothing tripped it, I had it plugged into the surge protector/power strip just for testing purposes but did also plug the surge prot4ctor into the adapter and still nothing happened. Would that some how impact the GFCI adapter? Is there a way I can test the water for stray current?
Do you have a ground probe in your system?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a faulted electrical component and just no path to ground for fault current to flow. That would keep the GFCI from tripping. Unless you provide a path to ground, either through yourself or through a grounded electrical connection, you may not trip the GFCI even with a faulted component.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back