ZAP!

eaze333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along
....I had a shock incident last night while standing barefoot on wet carpet from a small tank accident then stuck my hand in tank. Got zapped pretty good.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides installing a grounding probe, what can I do to find the culprit of the shock? I have a multi-meter that I had left over from a different project, could I use that in any way? I want to do some serious tank maintenance today but am still a little hesitant to put my hand in the tank

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides installing a grounding probe, what can I do to find the culprit of the shock? I have a multi-meter that I had left over from a different project, could I use that in any way? I want to do some serious tank maintenance today but am still a little hesitant to put my hand in the tank
You can use a multi-meter but it can give you some difficult to understand readings without also using a ground probe.

We get voltages in our tank through two basic means. First is when an energized conductor is exposed to the water. This is what is dangerous and causes a shock. The second is through induction (or capacitance) and is harmless. This occurs from having AC current carrying conductors next to and inside our aquariums. This will show up as a voltage but as soon as you put your hand in the water it will go to zero. A ground probe will also take this to zero.

I'm not sure if you feed your tank through a power strip but if you do this could work. Take the power strip and plug it into the GFCI. Then, select your Multi-meter to AC current (Amps) and take a reading with one probe in the tank water and the other to a ground socket in a receptacle. The multi-meter should provide a ground path to allow the GFCI to trip. It takes the place of the ground probe when used this way.

Also, make sure your heaters are powered on and heating when you are testing them or the fault could be isolated.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a multi-meter but it can give you some difficult to understand readings without also using a ground probe.

We get voltages in our tank through two basic means. First is when an energized conductor is exposed to the water. This is what is dangerous and causes a shock. The second is through induction (or capacitance) and is harmless. This occurs from having AC current carrying conductors next to and inside our aquariums. This will show up as a voltage but as soon as you put your hand in the water it will go to zero. A ground probe will also take this to zero.

I'm not sure if you feed your tank through a power strip but if you do this could work. Take the power strip and plug it into the GFCI. Then, select your Multi-meter to AC current (Amps) and take a reading with one probe in the tank water and the other to a ground socket in a receptacle. The multi-meter should provide a ground path to allow the GFCI to trip. It takes the place of the ground probe when used this way.

Also, make sure your heaters are powered on and heating when you are testing them or the fault could be isolated.

Got a grounding probe today and am just about to install it in the display tank, once it is installed how do I test for leaking voltage?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a grounding probe today and am just about to install it in the display tank, once it is installed how do I test for leaking voltage?
The best way is by using a GFCI. If you have a ground probe installed a fault will trip a GFCI immediately. If you don't normally use GFCI's I would at least get a portable one. Plug your electrical devices into it one at a time and turn them on. The faulted one will trip the GFCI.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can/should I use a multi-meter? I have a GFCI adapter installed on the outlet and have the power strip that everything is connected to plugged into it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can/should I use a multi-meter? I have a GFCI adapter installed on the outlet and have the power strip that everything is connected to plugged into it.
No need. With the ground probe installed you won't read a voltage in your tank. Salt water is too conductive to allow a voltage to build up in the tank if you have a ground probe.

If your GFCI doesn't trip with the ground probe installed you don't have a faulted component.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I bet it was my heater, its the only piece of equipment that I have taken out since I got shocked. Thanks Brew!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back