Zebra and Snowflake Eels

boibaker85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tyler1503 - While I'm still in the planning stages, I have an eel question. I plan on having a Zebra and/or a Snowflake Eel once my tank gets wet. My question is, what is the adult size of both these guys? Not overall length, but the adult size in regards to their girth? I ask because I plan to build an under the sand "cave" out of PVC. I'm not sure if I'd need 1", 2" or 3" PVC to be certain that there'd be enough room for the eel to move through the PVC comfortably. There will basically be a PVC "X" under the sand, with one of the legs of the "X" coming up the back wall hidden within the rock work. This will give the eel at least 4 entrances/exits to his "caves".

Thanks for your help!!

Scorson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much experience with zebras, but seem to always find room for a snowflake in all my tanks I've ever had. They're probably the best if you plan on having other fish with as well. Though you can get them smaller and they don't grow as long as many, full-grown can easily be up to 3 to 4 inches thick, not including find. That being maximum. Even if you get them smaller when feeding regularly they may grow pretty quick, but it depends on how often and what you feed them. That sounds like a cool project! Whatever you decide they should definitely love it! Mine just lives in a big pile of rocks, but is only one of 2 fish in the tank so he roams the whole thing. This one I got at about 8 inches long, and about as big around as a dime. Now he is about a foot and a half and bigger around than my thumb in about 6 months.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449970617.667273.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back