OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a cheap person, but like the concept behind Zeovit, i.e. nurturing a large bacteria population. So I went with the Brightwell zeolites and use a 2nd hand Vertex reactor I found at my LFS.

Instead of zeobak, I dose microbacter 7 because its cheap. Instead of the zeo branded carbon source, I dose the cheapest vodka I can find. Instead of all those supplements, I feed a lot and dose a single supplement with amino acids and micro nutrients. I've recently halted dosing the supplement to see how the corals react. Been a week with no issues so far, but I'm considering going back to dosing it.

The main issue I encountered in the beginning was feeding. I wasn't feeding enough. The bacteria will strip every available nutrient from the tank. This in turn results in less bacteria and that leads to starving corals. I no longer use filter socks or carbon so I can keep as much bacteria in the water column for consumption by corals and filter feeding organisms. Even with running my skimmer 24/7, the water column has plenty detritus and I always see my green chromis picking food out of the water column.

This system has worked so well for me that I've actually had a small oyster grow on my rockwork. It grew in a dark spot of the rockwork out of view. I started with all dry rock, so I have no idea where it came from. I do know it has flourished in my tank and is the size of approximately a nickel or quarter. I also have a ton of filter feeding type organisms thru out the system.

Thanks for sharing! I too feed heavily (4 tangs in my system and a bunch of smaller fish) so I like to keep them fat and happy. Any pics you would like to share?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I too feed heavily (4 tangs in my system and a bunch of smaller fish) so I like to keep them fat and happy. Any pics you would like to share?

I don't have any pics of my current system as I am lazy/want the corals to grow out a bit. But I can take some pics and post them. Anything you are particularly interested in?

Just some background on my current setup:
I bought a house 2 yrs ago and took down my tank I had running for 1.5yrs. I moved all that stuff into a 25 gallon tub that I kept running until I could get my 40B setup. 2.5 months ago I finally setup my DT. It took two years because I got caught up with the house and because the whole system is DIY including the controller I made using a raspberry pi/Arduino.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any pics of my current system as I am lazy/want the corals to grow out a bit. But I can take some pics and post them. Anything you are particularly interested in?

Just some background on my current setup:
I bought a house 2 yrs ago and took down my tank I had running for 1.5yrs. I moved all that stuff into a 25 gallon tub that I kept running until I could get my 40B setup. 2.5 months ago I finally setup my DT. It took two years because I got caught up with the house and because the whole system is DIY including the controller I made using a raspberry pi/Arduino.

Oh nothing specific, you know the old saying picture speaks a thousand words kinda thing lol.

Mike220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. Not all zeovit tanks pale. It is up to you to controls this with the amount of rocks and flow used and I interval of change. Most pale zeovit tank you see is due to control zooxanthellae reduction with zeospur2.

You don't need all the color additives I do use them all but you do not need them to maintain a colorful reef. You can do so with just the main 4.

Anything can go wrong with any tank zeovit or not if the person taking care of it is not responsible. Maintaining a zeovit tank is no different that maintaining any other tank.

If you are getting algae or cyano from using zeofood then there's another issues inside the tank. Zeofood is a great product to use but using it lightly. Thomas Phol still uses zeofood in his tanks.

I had a lot of trouble at the begging stages because I didn't listen to people and tried to go with what the bottle says which is a big no no. Always start at less than half of the recommended amount and adjust from there.
Yeah, I hate Zeovit system. Most killed my SPS. Information is bad, why don't they tell dose a little on beginning on the bottles. Information and instruction is gab
Not true. Not all zeovit tanks pale. It is up to you to controls this with the amount of rocks and flow used and I interval of change. Most pale zeovit tank you see is due to control zooxanthellae reduction with zeospur2.

You don't need all the color additives I do use them all but you do not need them to maintain a colorful reef. You can do so with just the main 4.

Anything can go wrong with any tank zeovit or not if the person taking care of it is not responsible. Maintaining a zeovit tank is no different that maintaining any other tank.

If you are getting algae or cyano from using zeofood then there's another issues inside the tank. Zeofood is a great product to use but using it lightly. Thomas Phol still uses zeofood in his tanks.

I had a lot of trouble at the begging stages because I didn't listen to people and tried to go with what the bottle says which is a big no no. Always start at less than half of the recommended amount and adjust from there.
I hated zeovit system, they killed most my SPS. Because information and instruction very bad. Don't tell you use a little on beginning. If dose like recommend on the bottles, will kill everything. Bad bad

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hate Zeovit system. Most killed my SPS. Information is bad, why don't they tell dose a little on beginning on the bottles. Information and instruction is gab

I hated zeovit system, they killed most my SPS. Because information and instruction very bad. Don't tell you use a little on beginning. If dose like recommend on the bottles, will kill everything. Bad bad

The bottle directions is the max amount to be used.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go easy on me. Tank is still going thru the ugly stage as it is only 2.5 months old. Also, corals are angry today for some reason. Not sure what I did this time. I do need to lower my alkalinity and calcium to ULNS levels. I'm starting to notice burnt tips on some SPS. Alk is currently at 8.1 dKH. Calcium is stupidly high at 650ppm because I'm dumb and assumed my calcium tests were correct.

DSC_6805.jpg

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go easy on me. Tank is still going thru the ugly stage as it is only 2.5 months old. Also, corals are angry today for some reason. Not sure what I did this time. I do need to lower my alkalinity and calcium to ULNS levels. I'm starting to notice burnt tips on some SPS. Alk is currently at 8.1 dKH. Calcium is stupidly high at 650ppm because I'm dumb and assumed my calcium tests were correct.

DSC_6805.jpg

Nice! Can't wait to see it fill in with coral!

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine. And my dosing schedule
100 gallon total net volume
800ml zeolite change 20% every 8 weeks

Zeostart 0.20 twice every day going up to 0.24 starting tonight

Monday
3 drops zeobak
3 drops zeofood
2.5ml FWS/ Coral booster
3.2ml B Balance
2 drops sponge power
3 drops PIF
3.2ml K balance
7 drops amino HC
7 drops coral vitalizer
4.8ml PHOL Xtra

Wednesday
1/2 spoon zeozym mixed with 4 drops biomate
3.2 B Balance

Friday
2.5ml FWS/Coral vitalizer
3.2 B Balance
3.2 K balance

Sunday
16ml coral snow mixed with 5 drops of biomate
Change 100ml KZ carbon
Adjust reactor flow

Every 10 days
4ml A balance
0.60ml zeospur2

Every 1 month
2 spoon zeozym
9.6ml zeospur macro elements

121718019e6baf11428c51ea9c8f034a.jpg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is anything wrong with Thomas Pohls system.

My frustrations are my experiences with Korallen Zuchts lack of warranty service in the US. From the US service representative assuring me on the phone that they would send me a new zeolite reactor (In 2 months when they had more) because the person who built it failed to use enough solvent to glue critical parts together so the bottom falls off of the inner chamber and the pipe running out of the reactor just "fell off" a couple weeks of having it. That was about a year ago... I have yet to receive that reactor. I would congratulate you on choosing the vertex reactor, but ironically the same guy is the US warranty and service rep for them too.

I don't like mystery bottles, I am too interested in the chemistry of the reef environment. If you don't enjoy the chemistry then I can understand it may satisfy something it didn't for me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are planning on doing. Just follow all the rules to a T with the reactor, stones, and be patient. I will agree that all zeo tanks pale, especially if you aren't adding the right elements back.

I still run the zeolite reactor and I run my tank with nutrients now. 5-10ppm Nitrate and I dont care about phosphate, as long as there is some, I prefer .03ppm+ I personally wouldn't sweat much higher numbers at all. I would sweat 0 though. (My tank is very high light, like 500-650 PAR for where most SPS are). So my experience led me to where/ and why I run my tank this way. I get much better growth and color operating this way. Of course everyone's mileage will vary!

Just be aware it doesn't take much when operating zeovit in the ULNS to cause an event. I followed all of their rules, one day I changed my activated carbon (their brand) and had a bleaching event because of light intensity and lack of nutrients. So be aware, even by playing by their rules, doesn't mean that you're safe.

RobbieMVFC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dosed Zeo in my last tank and have also started again on my new Tank.
I am no expert but if your corals (SPS) lighten their Colour , yes its because of nutrients. How to combat that is to feed your fish/corals more.
it is that simple.
In my last tank I got the best results with SPS s and starting to do so in my new tank (4 months old)
I dose in a 180G tank
Mon & Thursday Zeoback
Tues & Fri Zeofood
Wed & Sat sponge power.
All 6 drops
On Sunday I dose AA (Acro power) and I test for Iron ,potassium , Iodide and add as needed.
Zeo start I dose .6mls x 2 everyday.

Hope this helps ?

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine. And my dosing schedule
100 gallon total net volume
800ml zeolite change 20% every 8 weeks

Zeostart 0.20 twice every day going up to 0.24 starting tonight

Monday
3 drops zeobak
3 drops zeofood
2.5ml FWS/ Coral booster
3.2ml B Balance
2 drops sponge power
3 drops PIF
3.2ml K balance
7 drops amino HC
7 drops coral vitalizer
4.8ml PHOL Xtra

Wednesday
1/2 spoon zeozym mixed with 4 drops biomate
3.2 B Balance

Friday
2.5ml FWS/Coral vitalizer
3.2 B Balance
3.2 K balance

Sunday
16ml coral snow mixed with 5 drops of biomate
Change 100ml KZ carbon
Adjust reactor flow

Every 10 days
4ml A balance
0.60ml zeospur2

Every 1 month
2 spoon zeozym
9.6ml zeospur macro elements

121718019e6baf11428c51ea9c8f034a.jpg

Thanks for sharing your schedule and a pic of your tank! So other than the bottles I have currently is there anything else you suggest that I should get to start?

I don't think there is anything wrong with Thomas Pohls system.

My frustrations are my experiences with Korallen Zuchts lack of warranty service in the US. From the US service representative assuring me on the phone that they would send me a new zeolite reactor (In 2 months when they had more) because the person who built it failed to use enough solvent to glue critical parts together so the bottom falls off of the inner chamber and the pipe running out of the reactor just "fell off" a couple weeks of having it. That was about a year ago... I have yet to receive that reactor. I would congratulate you on choosing the vertex reactor, but ironically the same guy is the US warranty and service rep for them too.

I don't like mystery bottles, I am too interested in the chemistry of the reef environment. If you don't enjoy the chemistry then I can understand it may satisfy something it didn't for me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are planning on doing. Just follow all the rules to a T with the reactor, stones, and be patient. I will agree that all zeo tanks pale, especially if you aren't adding the right elements back.

I still run the zeolite reactor and I run my tank with nutrients now. 5-10ppm Nitrate and I dont care about phosphate, as long as there is some, I prefer .03ppm+ I personally wouldn't sweat much higher numbers at all. I would sweat 0 though. (My tank is very high light, like 500-650 PAR for where most SPS are). So my experience led me to where/ and why I run my tank this way. I get much better growth and color operating this way. Of course everyone's mileage will vary!

Just be aware it doesn't take much when operating zeovit in the ULNS to cause an event. I followed all of their rules, one day I changed my activated carbon (their brand) and had a bleaching event because of light intensity and lack of nutrients. So be aware, even by playing by their rules, doesn't mean that you're safe.

Wow I can totally understand your frustration with them. If I bought a new reactor and got a run around like that of be upset too.

When you swapped out the carbon do you remember if the amount was the same that you always did or perhaps you added too much? With my livestock I feel that I will never be able to fully achieve a ULNS because let's face it tangs poop, a lot lol. I also have a coral beauty angel that I keep fat in hopes it keeps nipping down. Going on a year so far and nothing yet with this game plan lol.

I really do appreciate your input on this thread. It's always good to get stories/advice from both ends of the spectrum.

I am no expert but if your corals (SPS) lighten their Colour , yes its because of nutrients. How to combat that is to feed your fish/corals more.
it is that simple.
In my last tank I got the best results with SPS s and starting to do so in my new tank (4 months old)
I dose in a 180G tank
Mon & Thursday Zeoback
Tues & Fri Zeofood
Wed & Sat sponge power.
All 6 drops
On Sunday I dose AA (Acro power) and I test for Iron ,potassium , Iodide and add as needed.

Hope this helps ?

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, I too will be doing this with a 180 display (195g total volume). Do you have any pics to share or other advice I need to be aware of?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the same quantity, treated the same way, put in boiling DI water and then allowed to cool over 24 hours... the zeovit "dance of activated carbon". The real kicker is it was the other half of the bag that I had used 4 weeks earlier with no ill effects! :eek: So there you go! Who'd a thunk it lol

I also do a real dance everytime I change the stones out, but I've gotten real good at that one now :D

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the same quantity, treated the same way, put in boiling DI water and then allowed to cool over 24 hours... the zeovit "dance of activated carbon". The real kicker is it was the other half of the bag that I had used 4 weeks earlier with no ill effects! :eek: So there you go! Who'd a thunk it lol

I also do a real dance everytime I change the stones out, but I've gotten real good at that one now :D

This dance you speak of, I think this requires recording and posting... lol

RobbieMVFC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170505_204601.jpg
it is that simple.
I dose in a 180G tank
Mon & Thursday Zeoback
Tues & Fri Zeofood
Wed & Sat sponge power.
All 6 drops

Hope this helps ?

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your schedule and a pic of your tank! So other than the bottles I have currently is there anything else you suggest that I should get to start?

Wow I can totally understand your frustration with them. If I bought a new reactor and got a run around like that of be upset too.

When you swapped out the carbon do you remember if the amount was the same that you always did or perhaps you added too much? With my livestock I feel that I will never be able to fully achieve a ULNS because let's face it tangs poop, a lot lol. I also have a coral beauty angel that I keep fat in hopes it keeps nipping down. Going on a year so far and nothing yet with this game plan lol.

I really do appreciate your input on this thread. It's always good to get stories/advice from both ends of the spectrum.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, I too will be doing this with a 180 display (195g total volume). Do you have any pics to share or other advice I need to be aware of?

To do the transition I would start with the main 4 for now. Don't buy anything g else until you have the main 4 down with no issues. Also use about 1/2 of the recommended activated carbon.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my thought after using Zeovit on my last setup prior to moving and tear down. The system can work. It is overly reliant on adding stuff and shaking the stones, ect. So if you end up being away more frequently, they system breaks down quickly and you will strip everything from your tank.

That being said, the number 1 lesson I learned from Zeovit is:

Spend 5 minutes with your tank every day. Not for pleasure or playing with some setting, but really looking at each animal. Learn to understand what they need when they don't look like they did the day before. If you hold to the zeovit system, the biggest thing that improves the tank is your new regiment for better husbandry than you had in the past. It forces you to spend time every day knowing your tank and how to care for it. I thought it was worth the cost because it taught me that just a few minutes every day improved the quality of life in my tank 10 fold.

I do not use Zeovit any longer and will not. I take too many work trips these days and the nutrients would be consumed and bottom out in my aquarium before I could get them back to healthy levels. I do spend about 10 minutes every day intently looking at each coral, each fish, each piece of equipment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back